Are 3.9 V8 main bolts stretch bolts?

SLVRobin

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if the crankshaft main bolts for the 3.9 V8 are/are not stretch bolts? They are the M10 and M8 bolts. I got a quote from ARP for over $1800 to have main studs made :(. The only reason I was going that way was I assumed they were stretch bolts...at that price I want to know for sure!

If you don't get an answer here, then check on the Jaguar forums for the 4.0 and 4.2 engines.

Aren't they the same as the JLR 4.0/4.2/4.4 ones? Gotta be WAY cheaper than $1800+. And I'm pretty sure they're TTY bolts

From what I read in the engine assembly pdf..

Bed plate bolts must be center punched after being completely torqued. Center punched bolts
must not be reused.

I took a quick look at the ones in mine, appears the pyramid indicated ones are punched.
Screenshot 2018-09-23 20.33.17.png
Screenshot 2018-09-23 20.33.56.png

So I got back with ARP on studs and they said that they made a mistake and that the M10 studs are a stock item for another engine and they are only 10 dollars each. That drops the price substantially, but the M8's are still 80 dollars each! Is that diagram from the Jaguar engine?

Yes, but from what I have been told the bottom end is the same.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm going to order the Jaguar bolts and see what I get. I will post the results, as this is one of the things we all need to know for replacing the main bearings!

Members online

Back