01 LS Coolant Parts Replacement advice please!!

Dont get the Motorcraft tstat in IMO. When the dealership did mine, brand new OEM Motorcrapt didnt last hardly six months. Dealership tested everything up and done and couldnt find why my car was overheating. My Indy and I already new that, but I told him let me use the 2 year warranty on it. Nope wouldnt happen, even though installed at stealership, the only way the would do anything is if a code is thrown. To dam late if its that bad.

New Stant Superstat (by my indy) is in over a year car runs cooler and better than ever.

Your mileage will vary...

So far I haven't had any trouble with Motorcraft thermostats. The last Stant that I got didn't work out at all, had to replace it with Motorcraft. (This was on my Ranger, not either LS.)

The Stant failure was probably a one-off fluke, but then probably so was the Motorcraft failure...

Last edited:
Yeah I like the cars a lot, the look and all of any Gen 1 or Gen 2. I might be crazy but I would take a 2006 LS over a Zephyr (I have owned one before and now own a 2006 LS and a 2001 LS) I just love my Rear wheel drive cars and the LS is a great Rear Wheel car. Just some of the coolant parts make you shake your head. The connectors should all be metal, but then the Stealerships would never make money on them... but then again they would with all the other expensive repairs these things can have.
I suggest looking on eBay for some of these coolant parts I had some great luck

I suggest looking on eBay for some of these coolant parts I had some great luck
Been ordering it all on Amazon, because so far prices have been so much cheaper than eBay for the things I bought. (In fact a few of them were priced wrong and I got them cheaper than I should have)

Almost have the parts that are needed! It does suck to have to wait but it does feel good when it's fixed and done right :) All I have left to buy now is a Radiator, Water Pump and the Lower Radiator hose. Then will be replacing the upper timing chain tensioners! I did not see any signs that made the radiator look bad but I am sure it can't hurt to change with the cars age.

This might be a dumb question but I thought I ordered a Coolant Tank hose Motorcraft Part KM4566 does this actually work as the main coolant tank hose? Or am I confusing it with something else? The reason I ask is cause of part number F75Z-267504-A That looks more like what I thought I was getting. If KM4566 is not the main hose what does it go to. I got a good deal on the hose because it was priced wrong they had it for $12 on Amazon! So it's not a big deal if it's the wrong one just need to know what it does to and if the other part number is what I really need. I just ordered the URO Tank and pretty sure it does not come with a cap or a hose so I wanted to make sure I have all the parts lined up for when they come in.

What do you mean by "main coolant tank hose?"
KM4566 looks like the engine air bleed hose. It connects to the top of the tank.
F75Z-267504-A looks like an old part number for the return hose (bottom of the tank).

What do you mean by "main coolant tank hose?"
KM4566 looks like the engine air bleed hose. It connects to the top of the tank.
F75Z-267504-A looks like an old part number for the return hose (bottom of the tank).

I meant for the bottom of the tank. I just ordered that and the gasket seals for the crossover, the lower radiator hose set, DCCV, and the water pump and also grabbed a set of clamp removers otherwise that back clamp would be a pain. Now all I have the left to buy is the Radiator and then it should ready to go!

Last edited:
I am gonna be replacing all the coolant parts on my 2001 LS (The Plastic ones and Degas Bottle) But I wanted to know, being it is a 2001 what else I should go ahead and replace.

So the list I have so far for the coolant parts
Motorcraft KM4402 Upper Radiator Hose*
Motorcraft KM4565 Lower Radiator Hose
Coolant Outlet Pipe (crossover tube) XW4Z-8A520-AF
MOTORCRAFT Thermostat RT1154
URO Parts C2C34318 Expansion Tank, 1 Pack
Motorcraft RS-527 Radiator Pressure Cap
Motorcraft KM4566 Water Outlet Housing*
URO Parts NCE2247ADKIT-PRM Aluminum T-Stat Housing Kit*
Auxiliary Coolant Pump 1W4Z-18D473-AA*
MOTORCRAFT PW448 Water Pump
MOTORCRAFT RAD31 Radiator
DCCV (Heater Valve) MOTORCRAFT YG355 or Bosch W0133-1799792

If I am missing anything just let me know. I will edit this list as I get suggestions. The * simply means I have already ordered.

If you haven't already done so, now would be a good time for you to flush the cooling fan hydraulic system. The pump and valves get gummed up over the years and will eventually get to the point where the fan will not operate at high enough speed to cool the engine when in slow traffic or idling. It's easy to flush the system by sucking out fluid from the reservoir and replacing it with new fluid or a mixture of new fluid and SeaFoam. After several repeats, the system will be cleaned up and the fan will run properly.
Hal

Quick question about the URO Degas Bottle. This thing looks exactly the same as the motorcraft one, I don't see what would need to be tweaked in order to fit. Does anyone else here know of a thread that says what needs to be done or any idea of what adjustments?

If you haven't already done so, now would be a good time for you to flush the cooling fan hydraulic system. The pump and valves get gummed up over the years and will eventually get to the point where the fan will not operate at high enough speed to cool the engine when in slow traffic or idling. It's easy to flush the system by sucking out fluid from the reservoir and replacing it with new fluid or a mixture of new fluid and SeaFoam. After several repeats, the system will be cleaned up and the fan will run properly.
Hal

Yep I am gonna do that as well I just ordered the radiator today and once that comes in I am gonna knock it all at the same day. Glad to have got all that bought but that was a lot of money (like you all don't already know that.. lol) but will be good to go for years on no coolant issues! And changing them upper secondary tensioners as well and valve cover gaskets. Just gotta go into Grainger and grab some 3mm washers so the revised tensioner snugs up.

Quick question does anyone know what part number the whole bleeder that goes on the degas tank is? The only thing I did not order that I would like to replace is the bleeder and screw itself.

Quick question about the URO Degas Bottle. This thing looks exactly the same as the motorcraft one, I don't see what would need to be tweaked in order to fit. Does anyone else here know of a thread that says what needs to be done or any idea of what adjustments?
I have the same question. Been searching, but have yet to find a tutorial or pictures. Just mentions of a tab that needs to be modified.

This might be a dumb question but I thought I ordered a Coolant Tank hose Motorcraft Part KM4566 does this actually work as the main coolant tank hose? Or am I confusing it with something else? The reason I ask is cause of part number F75Z-267504-A That looks more like what I thought I was getting. If KM4566 is not the main hose what does it go to. I got a good deal on the hose because it was priced wrong they had it for $12 on Amazon! So it's not a big deal if it's the wrong one just need to know what it does to and if the other part number is what I really need. I just ordered the URO Tank and pretty sure it does not come with a cap or a hose so I wanted to make sure I have all the parts lined up for when they come in.
Motorcraft Part KM4566 (#YW438C633AA, YW4Z8C633AA) [EDIT: those numbers were nonsense; ignore] - @DaleGrib, so did you end up installing all that? Was that the hose that attaches to the bottom of the degas bottle (engine coolant return line)?

Last edited:
Motorcraft Part KM4566 (#YW438C633AA, YW4Z8C633AA) - @DaleGrib, so did you end up installing all that? Was that the hose that attaches to the bottom of the degas bottle (engine coolant return line)?
I have not got around to doing it yet I had a lot going on and the car is not being driven right now. I am gonna try to do it this week if all possible or next for sure. The Part number for the hose that attaches to the bottom is XW4Z-8C289-FA

I have not got around to doing it yet I had a lot going on and the car is not being driven right now. I am gonna try to do it this week if all possible or next for sure. The Part number for the hose that attaches to the bottom is XW4Z-8C289-FA
BRILLIANT! Thanks Dale!

Edit: I just saw it on your Gen1 overhaul parts list thread. I looked through that before but got stuck on the exhaust manifold gasket (didn't know you had to mess with that for the Gen1) and didn't notice you had it listed. Sorry I had to make you hold my hand... :(

Last edited:
Motorcraft Part KM4566 (#YW438C633AA, YW4Z8C633AA) [EDIT: those numbers were nonsense; ignore] - @DaleGrib, so did you end up installing all that? Was that the hose that attaches to the bottom of the degas bottle (engine coolant return line)?

Having it done as we speak! I decided to pay someone to do the labor. I really did not want to mess with that Radiator and Thermostat Housing. I have had bad luck in the past so I let an expert take over. It just took me a bit to save up since them parts were so much! Plus for the price they charged I could not argue since the system has to be bleed and that can be a pain to do.

It doesn't seem to be difficult if you do it by the book with the car level or nose down. If you do it nose up, then it's a pain.
I just figured though since I got the rest of parts changed for the entire coolant system plus some other stuff for $250 I could not argue with that. Plus if they make a mistake they have to take care of it.

Also wanted to let everyone know there was nothing extra that had to be done on mine to add the URO Degas bottle instead of the motorcraft one. Bolted right up in the same place dunno if I got lucky or what but it sure went right back in.

Last edited:
I received my Uro bottle last night too. Looks exactly the same to me as the stock, but I haven't taken my old one out to compare yet (still waiting on the tube to arrive), so I can't be certain.

I received my Uro bottle last night too. Looks exactly the same to me as the stock, but I haven't taken my old one out to compare yet (still waiting on the tube to arrive), so I can't be certain.
I should have taken pictures of them to compare but at the time I had a really crappy camera phone so it would not have done any justice for the images. But they did look exactly the same!

I should have taken pictures of them to compare but at the time I had a really crappy camera phone so it would not have done any justice for the images. But they did look exactly the same!

hey Dale, when you get all of the parts for the Degas bottle, can you list all of the part numbers. I will eventually need to replace my bottle as well and last I checked the Motorcraft bottle with the hoses was over $180.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Degas bottle has two hoses attached? The bleed hose (callout 8C289B, XW4Z-8C289-CA) and the return hose (8C289C, XW4Z-8C289-FA)? Ford Parts Giant list both hoses as discontinued?

I just wanted to make sure I order the correct hoses, 2002 LS V8, Automatic, non-sport.

I guess I will need to get a new cap (RS527) for the degas bottle too.

Last edited:
The heater bleed hose sort of mounts to a stud on the degas bottle, but there is no flow between it and the degas, it's just something to hold it in place.

The heater bleed hose sort of mounts to a stud on the degas bottle, but there is no flow between it and the degas, it's just something to hold it in place.
Thanks Joe, I just found a good diagram for the degas bottle area from Tasca using google search.
I attached it, if not allowed delete, it may help others.

2002 Lincoln LS Degas Bottle Part Numbers.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back