1st Gen V8 vs 2nd Gen V8

Pyro225

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on buying my 1st LS. I'm considering either a 2002 LS V8 w/ 90k miles in near showroom condition or a 2005 LS V8 w/ 120k miles in very good condition.
I've read the reviews & about the updates made to the 03-06 V8 and I'm leaning towards the 2005.
Anyone willing to share their wisdom and/or opinions on potential service issues, weaknesses, strengths, etc on going with the 2nd Gen vs 1st Gen car?
If all goes as planned, this will be my daily driver, mostly in town commuting and occasional weekend 200-500 mile road trips. And I have a tendency to drive them as if I'd stolen (or rented) them.
No plans for a Hot Rod Lincoln yet but I'd like the potential for it (intake, cat back, reprogram PCM, limited slip, Jag supercharger, flux capacitor...?)
Am I missing anything here?
Thanks in advance.

As for a mechanic the 2005 !
By this time the bugs have been worked out ..
Properly maintained the motor could see 300,000 mi !
These LS love to run but like any vech they must be maintained!
At this age you may be looking at under carriage maintenance like A-arms tierods sway bar links etc.
I bought the 2006 model and love every min of it a course I was lucky too when I open the glove box it was jammed full of history done to this car !
Test driving the LS will tell you how it was maintained over the years, listen to the LS while driving it will talk to you! I Know it sounds weird but true! Mechanics know what I'm talking about !

Last edited:
As for a mechanic the 2005 !
By this time the bugs have been worked out ..
Properly maintained the motor could see 300,000 mi !
These LS love to run but like any vech they must be maintained!
At this age you may be looking at under carriage maintenance like A-arms tierods sway bar links etc.
I bought the 2006 model and love every min of it a course I was lucky too when I open the glove box it was jammed full of history done to this car !
Test driving the LS will tell you how it was maintained over the years, listen to the LS while driving it will talk to you! I Know it sounds weird but true! Mechanics know what I'm talking about !
Absolutely!!!! I couldn't agree with you more....the 3.9 V8 is a solid engine and it's got a lot to say... I still remember test driving my 3.9 2001... No shuttle window ...could hear the clunking of a broken down tie rod ...could feel the bad lower ball joints...not to mention the drivers window regulator was in need of replacing ...but the engine was purring like a kitten while at idle and roaring/growling with every push on the throttle ...handling was second to none ...just as quick and sound as it came off the assembly line that very day...this engine has taken everything I could throw at her ...truly amazing after 17 years it just now need valve cover gaskets/seals ...and if I didn't live in Minnesota I would never know it needed them because only when it's -10 and below a faint oil smell comes from her....as soon as it's 20 degrees + the smell goes away...the Gen 1 does have the luxury to have the Jaguar S-type aluminum Thermostat housing but yeah I can imagine your best option would be to purchase a Gen 2 I only paid $1000 for mine and it's served me well ...I put some money into her but I must say I have gotten my money out of her Ten times over already...even in -35 degrees at 4am she starts every time and runs like a champ all winter long...all my best

Thanks again for the direction guys.
Made the decision today to buy a 2003 LS V8. Driving Her home next Saturday.
REALLY nice car - 120k miles, couldn't find a factory option She doesn't have, and She's had recent COP's, resonators removed, and all the plastic cooling pieces replaced (including Degas bottle!)
Pics soon.

Absolutely!!!! I couldn't agree with you more....the 3.9 V8 is a solid engine and it's got a lot to say... I still remember test driving my 3.9 2001... No shuttle window ...could hear the clunking of a broken down tie rod ...could feel the bad lower ball joints...not to mention the drivers window regulator was in need of replacing ...but the engine was purring like a kitten while at idle and roaring/growling with every push on the throttle ...handling was second to none ...just as quick and sound as it came off the assembly line that very day...this engine has taken everything I could throw at her ...truly amazing after 17 years it just now need valve cover gaskets/seals ...and if I didn't live in Minnesota I would never know it needed them because only when it's -10 and below a faint oil smell comes from her....as soon as it's 20 degrees + the smell goes away...the Gen 1 does have the luxury to have the Jaguar S-type aluminum Thermostat housing but yeah I can imagine your best option would be to purchase a Gen 2 I only paid $1000 for mine and it's served me well ...I put some money into her but I must say I have gotten my money out of her Ten times over already...even in -35 degrees at 4am she starts every time and runs like a champ all winter long...all my best

Can you link me to the correct housing for the Lincoln ls (The Jag one) I tried this in my 2002 ls before and the one I got the holes did not line up so I had to have it redone to line up. I just want to make sure I am getting the right one. I know it might be posted here already! Sorry if it was there is so much posted here sometimes my eyes miss stuff (I need glasses I will admit!!) I am replacing the housing on my 01 LS V8 when I replace all the coolant parts mine as well not cheap out and do this the correct way. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing URO Parts fits 00-02 Jaguar S-Type 4.0L-V8
$40 dollars on eBay

View attachment 828569860
Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing URO Parts fits 00-02 Jaguar S-Type 4.0L-V8
$40 dollars on eBay
I have that one in my 2002 LS that has the blowed motor it had cracked after that happened so I am gonna try to take it out and send it back and get it replaced. And then buy a OEM Thermostat and that should take care of it. I just ordered the Snap-On tool to remove it so will try that route first I actually forgot about having that thing ( I tried to forget that horrible day :( ) Thanks !

I have that one in my 2002 LS that has the blowed motor it had cracked after that happened so I am gonna try to take it out and send it back and get it replaced. And then buy a OEM Thermostat and that should take care of it. I just ordered the Snap-On tool to remove it so will try that route first I actually forgot about having that thing ( I tried to forget that horrible day :( ) Thanks !
The aluminum URO T-stat housing cracked? That's beyond Strange to say very least...I guess weirder things have happened though...

If I could've replacd every piece of plastic coolant parts on the LS and replaced them with aluminum I would've been a happy man ...that plastic is a poor design right from the start :(

The aluminum URO T-stat housing cracked? That's beyond Strange to say very least...I guess weirder things have happened though...
Well I am not gonna rule out that the person that helped me might have had something to do with it. It was a nightmare to change it. That car was not in the greatest shape to begin with. I am sure it got stressed with the many different ways they tired to screw it back in. And also once we got it running again they put the water hose in the coolant tank and turned it on full blast and asked me to crank the car and then about 2 mins later white smoke started coming out and a very loud noise happened and she died. Knowing the stuff I know now I will never do anything like that again that is for certain.

If I could've replacd every piece of plastic coolant parts on the LS and replaced them with aluminum I would've been a happy man ...that plastic is a poor design right from the start :(

And I don't think there still is any metal parts other than the Jaguar housing :( Makes no sense with as hot as these things get.

Well I am not gonna rule out that the person that helped me might have had something to do with it. It was a nightmare to change it. That car was not in the greatest shape to begin with. I am sure it got stressed with the many different ways they tired to screw it back in. And also once we got it running again they put the water hose in the coolant tank and turned it on full blast and asked me to crank the car and then about 2 mins later white smoke started coming out and a very loud noise happened and she died. Knowing the stuff I know now I will never do anything like that again that is for certain.
RigsLS has one of the best threads you could ever read, study and reference on any car forum I've seen I suggest you find this thread while changing the T-stat housing if you decide to go with the Jag aluminum housing.....you need a special tool ( brake bleeder socket wrench in order to ( loosen ) &
( tighten ) the bolts on the housing or you can break the engine parts down from top in order to properly tighten the housing ....( your choice ) but I know from experience that replacing the housing properly is of most importance ....I literally heard a " PING " noise when my aluminum housing popped into place properly and I knew for certain she was locked down tighter than tight ...while replacing the coolant system in the Luxury Sport you must be sure everything is sealed tight ...this is as you know ....a pressurized coolant system ...it must not have any leaks and you must keep it as air tight as you can in order for the car to run properly at its top performance ...good luck

RigsLS has one of the best threads you could ever read, study and reference on any car forum I've seen I suggest you find this thread while changing the T-stat housing if you decide to go with the Jag aluminum housing.....you need a special tool ( brake bleeder socket wrench in order to ( loosen ) &
( tighten ) the bolts on the housing or you can break the engine parts down from top in order to properly tighten the housing ....( your choice ) but I know from experience that replacing the housing properly is of most importance ....I literally heard a " PING " noise when my aluminum housing popped into place properly and I knew for certain she was locked down tighter than tight ...while replacing the coolant system in the Luxury Sport you must be sure everything is sealed tight ...this is as you know ....a pressurized coolant system ...it must not have any leaks and you must keep it as air tight as you can in order for the car to run properly at its top performance ...good luck
Thanks and that is what I ordered! I saw the post and got the part number and found one for $20 on eBay not bad for a Snap-on tool.

wrench.jpg

Members online

Back