2002 manual to 2006 swap

IcedLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have read over and over again and again that a manual can’t be swapped into a automatic without issue, I get it. But that was all info about alternative tranny’s.

My question is this. I’ve got 2 LS’s left (of 5 to date). One is a 2006 v8 ultimate and the other is a 2002 v6 manual. Can I take out the engine, tranny, computer, center console, gauge cluster, master, slave cylinders and clutch pedal and practically anything else needed from the 2002 and swap it into the 2006?

Please someone tell me this can be done. I’m very serious about trying this.

That is an interesting idea. I assume the body of the 06 is in better condition than the 02. That is a tremendous amount of work to do. Basically you are putting ALL the electronics and drive train from one body to another. Here are my thoughts where you may have issues. First off the front seats may not be compatible. 2nd gen has a cooled seat, 1st does not and I suspect the electronics are different. Mirror wiring may be different also. The one thing I think you may have an issue with is the clutch pedal mounting. I suspect that the mounting brackets from the 1st gen are are not present on the 2nd gen and you may need to fabricate something. Awesome idea, unlimited hours to complete.

it should probably be doable if you swap over darn near ever single part from one to another.

long story short, strip both cars down to bare bodies and then start putting everything back together on the other body.

I'm just going to put this out there. I spent three years looking at all the options to put a manual trans in my 03 including multiple engine swap options.

In the end, I just bought a different car that is a lot faster and already came with a manual and I will tell you this. there is no better feeling than having a well engineered package where every single thing works, all parts are cheap and easy to get, a huge aftermarket exist. and best of all, there was no fukcing around trying to work out all of the bugs!

...I spent three years looking at all the options...

...In the end, I just bought a different car...

I'll take experience over theory. Doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle.

Reason I was considering this is because the 02 manual underbody frame is beyond repair and will need to be replaced. The 06 ultimate is in showroom condition. So I thought, hmm I wonder if this would work.

What car did you end up moving onto?

One other thing, While I do generally hate auto car, after owning a 1st gen V6 and a 2nd gen V8, there is no way I'd even consider getting rid of the V8 for a V6.

I did want to get a S550, I didn't have enough faith that my winter beater caviler would make it another 5 years and I'm not about to drive a mustang year round...

so the new plan is to get my current daily paid off, and then since it should have about 80k less miles less than the cavalier it shouldn't have any problem lasting another 5 years after its paid off. then getting the pony, which should be cheaper by then and I'll be able to jump right in to the go fast parts quicker.

The new car is a 15 Focus ST (FoST). So far in the last year, its already full bolt on with an intake, front mounted intercooler, catless down pipe, cat back exhaust, and tuned for E30 #CornFed
going to have to get it on the a chassis dyno in a few weeks after the final round of tuning is done but I am expecting to see about 345-355 lb/ft at the wheels

Members online

Back