Harminic balancer...

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
is mine coming apart or coming off? It is less than a year old.

EEF4E822-A89D-4051-8C0F-B190E81398C5.jpeg

I feel like I must be looking at that wrong...
That looks like way too much room between the pulley and the timing cover, like the balancer is nearly off the crankshaft.

I feel like I must be looking at that wrong...
That looks like way too much room between the pulley and the timing cover, like the balancer is nearly off the crankshaft.
Yes, what I am trying to determine is if the balancer is coming apart or coming off. It is NOT where it should be.

Yes, what I am trying to determine is if the balancer is coming apart or coming off. It is NOT where it should be.
I looks like the bonding between the two parts where the rubber is has come debonded.

I looks like the bonding between the two parts where the rubber is has come debonded.

Well, that sucks. At least you caught it before it did serious damage.
Weekend before last, I finally got around to replacing the one on my 06. I removed one from an 03 in a local junkyard for $20 something and used it. So far, so good. It's nice to look down at the tensioner and not see it swinging back and forth.

The rubber part on mine was migrating to the back. Fortunately, the timing cover stopped it from going too far. Also very fortunately, the pulley stayed at the right depth.

So, was that the new Ford one, or the aftermarket one? I would have thought that either would be safe to use.

Well, that sucks. At least you caught it before it did serious damage.
Weekend before last, I finally got around to replacing the one on my 06. I removed one from an 03 in a local junkyard for $20 something and used it. So far, so good. It's nice to look down at the tensioner and not see it swinging back and forth.

The rubber part on mine was migrating to the back. Fortunately, the timing cover stopped it from going too far. Also very fortunately, the pulley stayed at the right depth.

So, was that the new Ford one, or the aftermarket one? I would have thought that either would be safe to use.
It was a Dayco from Rockauto that I paid $350 or so for. When I asked about the belt, the reason I now see, that it was damaged was that it was rubbing on the oil cooler and now I am down to 5 ribs rather than 6. I may send that back to for a replacement since the defective balancer caused my belt to break. Worth a try.

Ugh!!!!!!! Its one thing when parts wear out, etc. But to have one break in 9 months. Well I suppose that's what Dorman cooling parts do, right?

UPDATE: (I wish we could edit the title of threads...geez, I can't spell.)

I got the balancer off. Rockauto is doing the warranty for me but they don't make it easy to get the replacement part quickly. Here are some pics with it out. You can see the center, rubber, and pulley pieces that should be lined up.

Take a look at what the balancer did to my oil cooler. I don't think it is an issue but it did put a very nice groove in it by rubbing on it. Same for the engine cover.

I am also going to put in a new crankshaft front seal while I have things apart. Might as well do some upgrades while the car is apart. I have read a few threads about the crankshaft seal. Is there a specific brand that is better than others? Felpro, Mahle. Timkin?

Balancer1.jpg

Balancer2.jpg

Balancer3.jpg

balancer4.jpg

engine cover.jpg

oil cooler.jpg

I don't know. I went OEM, but I may have gotten the last two.

Got a part number for the bolt? Having trouble tracking one down locally.

XW4Z-6A340-AA

I gave up on finding one and reused my old one, just didn't follow the stretching part of the instructions. I'm still a little nervous about that.

The bolt should still be available, my local Ford dealer had no problem getting one. They had it for me in two days time, that was only 1.5-2 months ago.

The bolt should still be available, my local Ford dealer had no problem getting one. They had it for me in two days time, that was only 1.5-2 months ago.
Thanks, my local agency told me a week. I am still looking around. I am also trying to track down a good front seal. Mine is oozing a little and I might as well change it whilst I have her pants off.

Also, agency will take several days. Anyone have recommendations between Felpro or Mahle for a crankshaft front seal?

TO also add to my confusion is the part number discrepancies. The number that Joe gave me 6A340 matches: Bolt | FordUS

But in the manual, it has a different number.

Item Part Number Description
1 W705542 Crankshaft pulley bolt
2 W704965 Crankshaft pulley bolt washer
3 6316 Crankshaft pulley
4 6278 Crankshaft front seal

Do you all think a harmonic balancer crankshaft bolt and/or crankshaft front seal for a 2000-2002 Jaguar S-type would fit a Gen 2 V8?

Is there a fitment database?

The part number Joe gave matches the one I bought and recently installed on my '04 3.9. Ordered it over the phone with my local Ford dealer on Mar 27, picked it up on the 29th. It shipped to them from Memphis, TN.

Members online

Back