Intermittent Check Transmission notification

Ahmed Awad

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving on the highway yesterday and for the first time ever I got a Check Transmission notification on the dash and the D5 turned into an E. It went away a few seconds later then came right back and went away. The rest of the commute was normal. Today on my way to work I got it again it flashed for a couple seconds went away and then back to normal. I did notice a rougher than usual 1-2 shift when I made a turn. Idk what I should do. Any advice would be great.

2004 V8 about 73xxx miles

Step 1: Read whatever transmission codes are present. You need an OBDII scan tool that can read Ford specific codes, such as Forscan.

Post the exact code(s) that you get here, all five characters of each code.

Until Joe gives you more, avoid the guys that say the tranny is shot and needs rebuilt. Plenty of threads here to review about that.

Most likely you are in the same situation like so many of us due to age, full fluid and filter service on tranny, and replace the bad parts as well as a valve body rebuild.

I think this guy is genuine he said it’s not mechanical. Most likely just the solinoid pack and new fluids he said parts approx 400 and the total service around 700

For some reason, this post stayed in the buffer...

It could be the solenoid assembly, the connector to it, the wiring between the connector and the PCM, the connector at the PCM, or the PCM itself, but it's probably the solenoid assembly.

If it was or becomes a continuous problem, then it is easy to do some continuity tests to determine which it is. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult when it's intermittent. You might consider unmating the PCM connector and the transmission connector (really difficult to do) and remating them to see if the problem go

I think this guy is genuine he said it’s not mechanical. Most likely just the solinoid pack and new fluids he said parts approx 400 and the total service around 700

$700 does sound right.

If I were to go ahead and do a full fluid and filter exchange with solinoid pack replacement and to also have the valve body rebuilt how much would I be looking at. Wouldn’t want to do everything but rebuild the valve body and have to bring it in again

New fluid should already be in the $700. If that was only for the few quarts that drain, then it may be a little high.
Valve body rebuild should be about $100 in labor and parts another $50 to $100. Of course, the price is up to the guy doing the work.

731$ later and I have a new solenoid pack. He said the fluid came out quite clean for 74xxx miles and so was the magnet. He said there was no need to rebuild the valve body and that he topped off with Mercon V. He did the filter and gasket and replaced the 8 quarts of mercon v that drained.

Seems to be shifting much better now and much smoother park to reverse engagement

After 10 days of trouble free operation I go to put it in reverse and it shakes like crazy trying to grab the gear eventually it grabs and smooth after that. Happens nearly every time I go into reverse now and I think some of the rough shifting has came back. I’ll be bringing it back to the shop tomorrow he said the solinoid would be covered under warrante hopefully nothing else major wrong with the transmission.

And on that note now it is definitely shifting terribly and much worse than even before the repair.

Looks for gears when acceleration and very violently shakaking in reverse.

After 10 days of trouble free operation I go to put it in reverse and it shakes like crazy trying to grab the gear eventually it grabs and smooth after that. Happens nearly every time I go into reverse now and I think some of the rough shifting has came back. I’ll be bringing it back to the shop tomorrow he said the solinoid would be covered under warrante hopefully nothing else major wrong with the transmission.

And on that note now it is definitely shifting terribly and much worse than even before the repair.

Looks for gears when acceleration and very violently shakaking in reverse.
You have something serious going on due to the fact the Logic in this Transmission will literally go into fail safe mode and skip a certain gear if its slipping ...the overdrive will also shut down to protect itself from damage if not operating properly ...I suggest bringing this to a shop that has the capability to run a computer scan test-drive (LIVE DATA) that can actually see ( For lack of technical terms ) what gears are not locking into place and what gears are malfunctioning ...the Lincoln LS has a very complex Transmission to say the very least....over-drive in both 2nd and 5th gear + Double over head cam is pushing this car to be a high performance machine in every sense of the word

Harness had shorted out 10 days after the install he fixed the short and checked the solenoid with a ohm tester says it is fine.. all is well again.

Harness had shorted out 10 days after the install he fixed the short and checked the solenoid with a ohm tester says it is fine.. all is well again.
Wow! Nice to hear! You just dodged a huge bullet ...all my best and hoping the transmission holds up for many years to come

Members online

Back