inner tie rod rivet head broke off

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The rivet seemed too big, but I managed to use a tiny socket with small extension to hold the rivet and tap it in place. I tapped it till the head seated and then followed the instructions I found on the SHO forum
Inner Tie Rod Pic / Replacement How-To
Well their instructions to use channel locks bent the rivet. I tried to straighten it out and it broke off

How do you get this out or do i need to? Will the piece inside stay inside without the head flattened on top of it?
20180521_204705.jpg

Whatever you do use a hammer not channel locks as it shows in Ford Technical Service Bulletin

I really would not worry about it. You tightened the inner rod to spec? Did you use thread-lock (not the permanent stuff)? Ties rods are not subjected to rotary torque in any way. So if its tightened up with thread lock, you are fine. I think those stupid pins are just for added safety to prevent spin-off. The aftermarket ones are usually a small thread in type.

For the record, my 6,000+ pound 4x4 has no such set screws or pins on the inners.

I really would not worry about it. You tightened the inner rod to spec? Did you use thread-lock (not the permanent stuff)? Ties rods are not subjected to rotary torque in any way. So if its tightened up with thread lock, you are fine. I think those stupid pins are just for added safety to prevent spin-off. The aftermarket ones are usually a small thread in type.

For the record, my 6,000+ pound 4x4 has no such set screws or pins on the inners.
The Ford TSB didn't call for the thread-lock, so I didn't use it. Moog said they can't send me replacements rivets and said I should use Red (permanent thread-lock), I called him on it, as anywhere I have only seen the blue (non-permanent) used
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=202442&cc=1316153&jsn=409

He mentioned a Moog tool, but said it is obsolete. I found one site its $105 USD
MOOG T499 Canada | TheWrenchMonkey Canada

I'm going to try an easy out 1/8 and see if that takes it out. He said it was only aluminum, so it will come out easy.

I thought most used Moog for these? The ones I took off didn't have the rivets and it didn't look like any thread sealer was used. I would think I would still it on the threads yes?

Moog inner.png

The Ford TSB didn't call for the thread-lock, so I didn't use it. Moog said they can't send me replacements rivets and said I should use Red (permanent thread-lock), I called him on it, as anywhere I have only seen the blue (non-permanent) used

He mentioned a Moog tool, but said it is obsolete. I found one site its $105 USD

I'm going to try an easy out 1/8 and see if that takes it out. He said it was only aluminum, so it will come out easy.

I thought most used Moog for these? The ones I took off didn't have the rivets and it didn't look like any thread sealer was used. I would think I would still it on the threads yes?

View attachment 828569654
Looks like room to drill? Drill it out with a 3/32nd or 1/16th drill, Alum is soft , drills easy

Looks like room to drill? Drill it out with a 3/32nd or 1/16th drill, Alum is soft , drills easy
I been working till 8pm and wanted to try this in daylight. A friend was kind enough to loan me their snap on easy out kit. So i'm going to first try with a small 90 degree pick. If that doesn't work, then try the easy out tool and if that doesn't work, I will use a small drill bit and measure how far in on the other side and tape it off so I do not drill into the gear arm that the inner tie rod threads onto.

View attachment 828569654
Using thread lock works well enough to omit putting in a rivit

it did drill out easy with a easy out bit. Moog was no help saying they couldn't get me replacement rivets. I didn't want to uninstall these to use loctite to reinstall them, so I found a supplier who was amazing. Jay Cee Sales and rivet. Andrew there was nothing less than amazing! Talked to Andrew at 3pm and he had me samples shipped out same day at no charge! I still believe the hole is too small but after a many attempts they went in. Only advice I can give is go very slow, be very gentle and have tons of patience.
Rivets by Jay-Cee | Rivets In Stock

51TP7orVuuL.jpg

I personally dont put those pins in .
I wouldn't think they would become loose but since they included them, figure I would install them. How long ago did you install them without issue? I would think you would notice them becoming lose, if they ever did. I will check these now with each oil change.

Using thread lock works well enough to omit putting in a rivit
Moog first told me red loctite, and on my second call said blue. I didn't want to take the off after just torquing them, just to add loctite and reinstall them, so I found rivets. Make sure you hammer them in exactly straight. you can tap on the pin - I was concerned it would push it in before the rivet seated in the inner tie rod.

I wouldn't think they would become loose but since they included them, figure I would install them. How long ago did you install them without issue? I would think you would notice them becoming lose, if they ever did. I will check these now with each oil change.
Years ago cant remember exactly
But I've done auto cross in it at least 4 times and drag strip 2 times

Members online

Back