Name That Part

FixMyLS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
First time posting after countless months of enjoying the great info you guys n gals have.

I screwed up and due to budget constraints tried getting by with water instead of antifreeze and it so happened to get in the 20's for about a week....

Didnt check smoke color, but found the peanut butter under oil cap, then throughout the cooling system as I took her apart.

I was planning to get to the heads and at least replace gaskets, but upon removing the valve covers ( passenger side had noticeably more coolant throughout than the driver side), I noticed what seems to be some sort of expansion plug just laying there. I checked the driver side and saw that one was in place and it goes smack dab in the middle, under valve cover. The hole that it sealed on the passenger side is seemingly filled with peanut butter colored liquid, and it does seem very liquidy as opposed to thick like elsewhere I have seen that color deposited.

Anywho, Ive looked high and low, near and far, but as I am far from being a mechanic, am already in way over my head, and just depressed at the mess I seem to be making worse, I cant find this part anywhere, I cannot figure out what it is called, I dont see it in the workshop manual, nor on google, or on forums for Jag or TBird.

Also I carried it around in my pocket and lost it, so I dont have a pic at the moment, but I will post a pic of what hole it sealed when the sun comes up.

Secondly, is there any chance Im not looking at a cracked head, or head gasket failure? I am scared to take any more parts off, yet too broke to afford a mechanic kinda sorta.

Thanks in advance for any help on this, and belated thanks for all the info on the cooling system issues that I may or may not have addressed as suggested...

Personally, I would fear that any number of coolant passages could be cracked in the block. I think you might be better off to replace the whole engine, or the whole car.

Here are some plugs for the 2nd gen V8. (You don't say the year or if you have V8 or V6, so I picked one at random.)
XW4Z-6026-DA
-W709457-S430
-W528009-S446

Is "peanut butter" a result of two different types of coolant that aren't compatible?

First time posting after countless months of enjoying the great info you guys n gals have.

I screwed up and due to budget constraints tried getting by with water instead of antifreeze and it so happened to get in the 20's for about a week....

Didnt check smoke color, but found the peanut butter under oil cap, then throughout the cooling system as I took her apart.

I was planning to get to the heads and at least replace gaskets, but upon removing the valve covers ( passenger side had noticeably more coolant throughout than the driver side), I noticed what seems to be some sort of expansion plug just laying there. I checked the driver side and saw that one was in place and it goes smack dab in the middle, under valve cover. The hole that it sealed on the passenger side is seemingly filled with peanut butter colored liquid, and it does seem very liquidy as opposed to thick like elsewhere I have seen that color deposited.

Anywho, Ive looked high and low, near and far, but as I am far from being a mechanic, am already in way over my head, and just depressed at the mess I seem to be making worse, I cant find this part anywhere, I cannot figure out what it is called, I dont see it in the workshop manual, nor on google, or on forums for Jag or TBird.

Also I carried it around in my pocket and lost it, so I dont have a pic at the moment, but I will post a pic of what hole it sealed when the sun comes up.

Secondly, is there any chance Im not looking at a cracked head, or head gasket failure? I am scared to take any more parts off, yet too broke to afford a mechanic kinda sorta.

Thanks in advance for any help on this, and belated thanks for all the info on the cooling system issues that I may or may not have addressed as suggested...
Pose this question to just answers, there is a master tech on lincolns name chris, cost you 25. 00 and if you do not like answer they give a free 2nd opinion. For a freeze plug, buy a universal made of rubber to fit any hole. Put it back in motor, and run a flush and fill prestone kit. If you get that far write back. If no gray oil, then no torn head gasket.This can be fixed, don't dispair, I'll agree it poses a big job but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Oil and coolant, I suspect...
If its dex a cool and green anti freeze sold now its rated compatable. Yes it could if its from the years green did not mix with dex anti freeze. . Ford says mark 8 takes prestone or any green anti freeze. No call for dex a cool.

Members online

Back