98 mark 8, no A/C

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal.....this is my second 98 mark 8 LSC and both of them have had this happen now. At least I think so. My current car will not blow cold air. the A/C compressor will kick on, but no cold. the exact opposite would happen on the other one. I would only get cold air...no heat. I went and had it diagnosed at the lincoln dealer and they said that the blend door motor had gone bad. Not having the $600 needed to have it fixed, I only bought the motor. Shortly afterward, an old guy ran a red light and totalled it. :mad:
Well, anyway.....is there any self-test for the Mark VIII's like there is for the Mark VII's? Any help would be greatly appreciated....it really sucks having Black leather seats and no A/C. :Bang

thanks

98lincmk7lsc said:
Ok, here's the deal.....this is my second 98 mark 8 LSC and both of them have had this happen now. At least I think so. My current car will not blow cold air. the A/C compressor will kick on, but no cold. the exact opposite would happen on the other one. I would only get cold air...no heat. I went and had it diagnosed at the lincoln dealer and they said that the blend door motor had gone bad. Not having the $600 needed to have it fixed, I only bought the motor. Shortly afterward, an old guy ran a red light and totalled it. :mad:
Well, anyway.....is there any self-test for the Mark VIII's like there is for the Mark VII's? Any help would be greatly appreciated....it really sucks having Black leather seats and no A/C. :Bang

thanks

well... its a kind of a pain in the :q on the 1997/1998 mk8 since they have a faulty blend door that cracks and leaves you either with only hot air or just AC. Here are some links that could help ya

http://mark8.org/lod/blend_door_reinforce.htm

http://mark8.org/lod/emergency_heat.htm

http://mark8.org/lod/blend_door_repair.htm

max is right but here are the instructions for the test sequence. Keep in mind the plastic piece may be broken and return no result.

Ford's Automatic Temperature Control System Diagnostics

This test will detect electrical malfunctions at the time the self diagnostic test is performed. The ATC system does not store error codes. To enter the EATC self diagnostic, follow this procedure:

Make sure the engine is at least 120 degrees f. Push the OFF and FLOOR buttons at the same time, then with-in 2 seconds, depress the AUTOMATIC button. The test can run as long as 20 seconds, during which the display will be blank. The resulting error codes will be displayed, see the error code key below.

The Test can be started at any time, and can be halted by depressing the COOLER button,

YOU MUST STOP THE TEST BEFORE TURNING OFF THE SYSTEM!

It is possible for there to be a malfunction in the system, and there not be any error code displayed, in this event, you can refer to the vehicle service manual, or professional advice as to the source of the problem.

Error Code
Problem Detected

01 Replace control head
02 Blend door malfunction
03 In-car temp sensor open or short
04 Ambient temp sensor open or short
05 Sun load sensor open or short
024 Blend door actuator malfunction
025 Intermittent blend door actuator malfunction
030 In-car temp sensor short
031 In-car temp sensor open
040 Ambient temp sensor short
041 Ambient temp sensor open
042 Intermittent ambient temp sensor short
043 Intermittent ambient temp sensor open
050 Sun load sensor open or short
052 Intermittent sun load sensor open or short
115 Engine coolant temp sensor malfunction
888 Test complete, no error

Hi, Welcome to the Board.

You have a door blend problem, almost guaranteed. There is a guy that has been ordering new door blends and then upgrading them with a new piece that "fixes" the defective part. Send me a PM or email and I will hook you up with him. He has been doing it basically as a favor to other Lincoln Owners and has been doing it at cost so I am hesitant to post his name, etc. I am sure you understand. Then it is up to you to pull the dash, we can supply the steps, and D.I.Y. it for under $50.00 plus however much beer you consume. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back