17 inch tires

obrix66

LVC Member
Reaction score
Will a set of 17 inch tires froman 06 ls fit on my 03 ls with 16 tires ? Sorry if this has been asked before

Yes, they will. Everything will be fine. The tire outer diameter is still the same, so the speedometer will still be correct.

Yes, they will. Everything will be fine. The tire outer diameter is still the same, so the speedometer will still be correct.
My '06 came from the factory with 16" wheels, and my speedo was off when I switched to 17" wheels. I don't remember by how much, but it was off.

My '06 came from the factory with 16" wheels, and my speedo was off when I switched to 17" wheels. I don't remember by how much, but it was off.

So, to be exact:
225/55R16 = 25.7" diameter (80.8" circumference)
235/50R17 = 26.3" diameter (82.4" circumference)

So, the 17" is 0.6" bigger (2.3%). If the speedometer is perfectly right with the 16", then it will read 61 MPH when actually going 60 MPH, with the 17" wheels. Both of my LSes came from the factory with 17 inch wheels. Both read about 1 MPH faster than actual speed.
I could certainly be wrong, but I suspect that they used only one speedometer calibration for the LS.

It's the ABS module that provides the speed information to the rest of the car, and there doesn't seem to be any option on those for tire size. Fun observation, the VSS from the ABS is 10 times the speed in MPH, in Hz. For example, 80 MPH = 800 Hz.

BTW, (as I am sure you know) 16" wheels on an 06 is very rare. Almost all 06s were sports or premium sports. It must have been for a high snow location.

BTW, (as I am sure you know) 16" wheels on an 06 is very rare. Almost all 06s were sports or premium sports. It must have been for a high snow location.
Yep, it was for a cold climate, to accommodate tire chains; why a dealership in Lawton, OK (from where my dealer got it) ordered it, I'll never know. We don't normally get much snow around here, and certainly not nearly enough to justify chains.

I have both a 17 and 16 inch set of wheels/tires for my LS. The 16's are my snow tires and I switch them out in the winter months. Bolt off, bolt on, no issues but I do believe the speedometer is slightly different between the different sizes. No big deal to me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back