In way over my head

Jay Will

LVC Member
Reaction score
I stripped the threads loose in one of the intake manifold screws, do I need to find a new manifold? It's the 2nd gen v8.

Im sorry, I don't have a pic at the moment. The threads came out of the plastic with the screw. I'll have pictures in the morning.

The intake that is attached to the manifold. It's the upper right side bolt. I had to leave the car at the garage so I can't take the picture now. But the cylinder threads are no longer married to the plastic manifold

Yes, need way more information here. Slow down don't panic. It can probably be fixed one way or another. JB Weld, a new threaded insert. Tapping new threads and using a slightly larger screw/bolt, or even a heli-coil. It may even turn out that it is not an absolutely necessary one.

Let's start with pictures.

20180201_003901.jpg

Okay, so that specific bolt holds the throttle body onto the throttle body adapter. The Adapter is all metal, so I don't understand the prior comment about plastic. Are you sure you are pointing to the correct one? Most people don't remove the throttle body from the adapter, instead they remove the adapter (with the throttle body still on it) from the intake manifold. There is a bolt kind of behind the one you are pointing to that holds the adapter to the plastic intake manifold. Are you sure it isn't that one instead?

Okay, so that specific bolt holds the throttle body onto the throttle body adapter. The Adapter is all metal, so I don't understand the prior comment about plastic. Are you sure you are pointing to the correct one? Most people don't remove the throttle body from the adapter, instead they remove the adapter (with the throttle body still on it) from the intake manifold. There is a bolt kind of behind the one you are pointing to that holds the adapter to the plastic intake manifold. Are you sure it isn't that one instead?
You're absolutely right this is the wrong bolt it is the one behind this one, the one you mentioned.

Okay, so the insert pulled out?

If the threads in the insert are still good, just JBweld the insert back in.

I had thought about using jb weld but it's such a tight fit, how would one apply it? Doesn't this piece need to be exact to hold the intake firmly in place?

You are not holding the intake, you are holding the throttle adapter to the intake manifold. Pressure is on your side here, since the manifold is often at negative pressure.

I would think that it would be just a little JBweld, and clean off all of it that squeezes out. Give it a full day to set, and then don't over-tighten that bolt. Let the other three take most of the load.

Anyway, that is what I would try first if I were in this position.

You are not holding the intake, you are holding the throttle adapter to the intake manifold. Pressure is on your side here, since the manifold is often at negative pressure.

I would think that it would be just a little JBweld, and clean off all of it that squeezes out. Give it a full day to set, and then don't over-tighten that bolt. Let the other three take most of the load.

Anyway, that is what I would try first if I were in this position.
Good deal, I really appreciate all the help. I love this forum, you guys are great

You could possibly drill the hole out with 1 size larger drill bit... then run a tap in the hole to make threads that would hold the epoxy. Also thread the outside of the original insert with a die for the same reason.

Better yet... get a heli-coil kit and just put a new insert in the intake. It may take a couple different sized kits to "step down" to the proper size for the bolt that goes there. You may still have to epoxy the new insert in the plastic,,, and each smaller insert installed may also have to be epoxied. Just make sure the face of the insert(s) are slightly counter sunk in the hole... that way it/they don't interfere with with flush bolt up of the elbow.

Just thinking out loud.

I remember having to Heli-coil my Grand Cherokee intake manifold bolt, it was a sketchy job for sure if you have never broke any serious bolts off, Im glad yours wasn't that bad.

Members online

Back