A couple factory stereo questions

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok... so some jerk blew a couple of my speakers, (not going there). Anyway,,, factory 6 CD head unit, with the 12, (technically 8) speakers. All speakers except for the console ones,,, swapped out for Polk DB series. It sounds pretty good. Actually better than factory.

However, I've noticed that the rear door speakers don't seem to have the same volume as the rest. Been that way since I have owned the LS, (7 years now).

Is this normal. I've played with the speaker settings... "drivers seat" "all seats", and "rear seats"... and the rear door speakers don't seem to give the same output as the rest.

Is this normal?

Also... I know the rear deck speakers are only subs. Is this controlled by the head unit,,, or the dedicated amp for the subs. Unfortunately,,, the new rear deck speakes have tweeters that aren't beiing utilized. Is there a work around for this without replacing the factory head unit???

TIA

I never noticed the rear door speakers being at a lower level on either of mine while they were stock, but I don't think I've ever ridden in the back seat.

On the subs, I'm pretty sure it's both. The head unit doesn't send the mids or the highs to the sub amp, and I don't think the sub amp could handle them very well if it did. Also, be aware that the two rear subs are mono, not stereo. There is only a single (L+R) channel sent to the single channel factory sub amp. With lows, that doesn't really matter, but with highs, you could notice that the left isn't coming from the left, and so on.

Thanks for the explanation Joe.

So the only practical "workaround" for the subs would be to buy another 2 channel amp and tap into the speaker outputs, (front or rear doors), at the head unit,,, using the line level inputs on the new amp.

As far as the rear door speakers. I notice the difference while sitting in the drivers seat. They just seem a bit "muted" or anemic compared to the fronts. It's noticeable when fading front to rear and back,,, and doesn't change with the DSP "seat" settings. Makes me wonder if there are issues with the head unit related to the blown factory speakers

one thing that I have always hated about the LSs speaker placement is where the rears are... they are so far low in the door with a lot of the area around it like the seats are blocking most of the sound. because of this, they always sound muffled to me. add to that, when you sit in the back seat your legs block even more of the sound while a subwoofer just pounds away inches from your head making them sound even more muffled. luckily, for the best sound quality, you don't really want rear speakers to muddy up the sound stage so them being quieter only helps that out.

So the only practical "workaround" for the subs would be to buy another 2 channel amp and tap into the speaker outputs, (front or rear doors), at the head unit,,, using the line level inputs on the new amp....

I think that you'll lose the lows if you do that. The stock head unit doesn't send out the low (sub) frequencies to the speaker outputs, only to the mono subs. I really think you would have to go new amp(s) and a new head unit.

for the best sound quality, you don't really want rear speakers to muddy up the sound stage so them being quieter only helps that out.

I get what you're saying. I actually sat in the back seat after the speaker swap,,, and could hear the fronts and rears blend pretty well.... but still leaning to the fronts. I guess I'm just spoiled by the home system. There,,, you can walk around the room and nothing changes. It blends so well the whole room is the speaker... but I have alot more money wrapped up in it.

I think that you'll lose the lows if you do that. The stock head unit doesn't send out the low (sub) frequencies to the speaker outputs, only to the mono subs.

I get what you're saying... but it does sound like the front door speakers put out more bass to blend with the subs. I might be wrong though. Maybe I'll just live with the speaker ugrade. It was a definite improvement.

Thanks guys.

I get what you're saying. I actually sat in the back seat after the speaker swap,,, and could hear the fronts and rears blend pretty well.... but still leaning to the fronts. I guess I'm just spoiled by the home system. There,,, you can walk around the room and nothing changes. It blends so well the whole room is the speaker... but I have alot more money wrapped up in it.

I get what you're saying... but it does sound like the front door speakers put out more bass to blend with the subs. I might be wrong though. Maybe I'll just live with the speaker ugrade. It was a definite improvement.

Thanks guys.
Before swapping out my factory head unit my backs were much louder than the fronts....upon replacing the speakers I found the fronts were blown ...could be your back seat speakers have been blown also...just my 2 cents ...good luck whatever the case

Then it would have to be the channels in the head unit... because I just replaced all 4 door speakers about 2 months ago. The rears actually sound as good as the fronts,,, just a little less output.

I think Loud has the right idea. For proper "soundstage" and ambiance when the DSP setting is on "all seats"... the head unit backs down on the power/volume to the rear door speakers.

Members online

No members online now.
Back