manual chime in reverse

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
does anyone else have a chime sound when the manual is shifted into reverse? This is inside the car and sounds like when you start the car or leave the door open

I always figured it was a warning sound since the reverse gear is right next to first gear, but reading recent threads about tamper alerts, I'm not sure.

everyone else with a manual has reverse next to first right?

And after reading the thread about the over speed warning I wonder if this is another setting that can be turned on and off?

It means that your instrument cluster was replaced and not properly re-initialized. This is a 'tamper' alert to prevent people from swapping cluster to falsely reduce the mileage.

It should also 'beep' once you across 70mph (I believe).

From what I've read elsewhere, it can also mean that your car sat on a dealer's lot for a long period of time (ie, long enough to kill the battery). There may not have been any tampering, but the computer might think there was.

I don't believe - I've had my battery out of my car for months....

it doesn't beep when I cross 70 but it does have the overspeed warning (the flashing cruise light) when I cross 70.

no chance this is a feature? because the reverse is positioned next to first gear?

i have always had a sneaky suspision that my dealer pulled some sneaky stuff when they found/sold me this car, I wanted a manual and they didn't have one and then they pulled one out of their ass, I always wondered what they did to get one so suddenly......and a few other things about the car (the rental overspeed warning) got me thinking and raised my suspisions that something sneaky was done. (like bought an import and converted it over and sold it to me)

as it is they put an after market sun roof in it without consulting me, even though I wanted a sun roof I didn't want an after market one.

does everyones manuals have the reverse all the way to the left and up?

can I confirm that someone else has a manual without this chime?

When did that high speed beep sh*t start? I have an '03 and routinely pass 70 before I even get out of the driveway. I've never heard a beep or seen a flashing cruise light.

Ric said:
When did that high speed beep sh*t start? I have an '03 and routinely pass 70 before I even get out of the driveway. I've never heard a beep or seen a flashing cruise light.

apparently the beep at 70 (i've also heard 60) would only happen if the clusters where switched and the computer detected tampering. most people would not have this problem.

the flashing cruise light, we determined, is probably a rental option that can be set on or off at the dealer with the WDS system. most people would not have this option enabled.

Ric said:

Do you live on a freeway or something?:confused:

Ric said:

It is a dealer only set option that can be implemented - usually by rent car companies.

if you purchase a used LS that was a rent car - they are supposed to remove it.

Jokken,
I have a manual. Reverse is up by 1st and I have no chime when backing up. I also don't have the speed warning due to my car doesn't have the message center. Does yours?? I didn't think it was an option on our LS's. I have the space and screen for it on my cluster but nothing has ever shown up.

00ls5spd said:
I have a manual. ... I also don't have the speed warning due to my car doesn't have the message center. Does yours?? I didn't think it was an option on our LS's. I have the space and screen for it on my cluster but nothing has ever shown up.
Manual = V6 LS = No Message Center. It wasn't even an option for the V6 LSes.

thanks 005lsspd for the confirmation.

I have the cutout for the message center on the right side of my cluster but I think there is just a insert cover in place of what would be the screen. They same thing for the little screen on the bottom where I guess the gear selction indicators are.

From what I can tell the speed warning is an option on our cars, but instead of an "over speed warning" message on the message center our cruise control light would blink. (like my car) that is if this rental option is enabled. normally it isn't. Cars with the message center (V8's) would have both the "over speed warning" message and the cruise control light blinking, again if this option was enabled.

i can only hope that this reverse chime that I hear is another little known of option that I can disable. if not it means the cluster has been played with at the dealer before I purchased the car brand new back in 2000. I don't hear any chimes at any speeds like 30 or 60 or 70 so I can still hope it isn't a "tamper" alarm.

I got the message center (the car's loaded). But I swear to God if it ever started "warning" meevery time I exceeded 70, there'd be a hammer sized hole in the dash.

Quik LS said:
It is a dealer only set option that can be implemented - usually by rent car companies.

if you purchase a used LS that was a rent car - they are supposed to remove it.

Was this car purchased new or used?

my car was purchased new (like 50 miles on it) but I do wonder where my dealership got the car from, i suspect they did somthing fishy.

maybe they got their hands on it but is was originally supposed to go to a rental place. (would explain the speed warning)

and it might have been a rental place outside of the US. (would explain if they had to switch the cluster)

anyone have any idea how I could tell?

jokken said:
thanks 005lsspd for the confirmation.

I have the cutout for the message center on the right side of my cluster but I think there is just a insert cover in place of what would be the screen. They same thing for the little screen on the bottom where I guess the gear selction indicators are.

From what I can tell the speed warning is an option on our cars, but instead of an "over speed warning" message on the message center our cruise control light would blink. (like my car) that is if this rental option is enabled. normally it isn't. Cars with the message center (V8's) would have both the "over speed warning" message and the cruise control light blinking, again if this option was enabled.

i can only hope that this reverse chime that I hear is another little known of option that I can disable. if not it means the cluster has been played with at the dealer before I purchased the car brand new back in 2000. I don't hear any chimes at any speeds like 30 or 60 or 70 so I can still hope it isn't a "tamper" alarm.

NO V6 has a message center. We have "idiot lights" in place of the messages. The V6 manual won't have the gear select indicator, duh!

As you bought the car brand new, it is doubtful the dealer replaced the cluster. Unless the car wasn't really brand new. I seriously doubt any manual LSes made it into the rental market. Therefore, you're left with the conclusion that the car sat on the lot for a very long time and the battery drained, making the computer think the cluster was replaced, or otherwise tampered with. I have a friend that had a manual LS that he bought new. It sat on the lot for quite a while, draining (not removing) the battery. IIRC, they had to jump it to get it started. Every time he selected reverse, the car would chime, like a reverse back-up beep. Once the dealer reset the pcm, the beep was gone and all was well.

thanks for the info LS4me, of course I do realize that the manual won't have a gear select indicator. I think I'll have to take a trip to the dealer.

hi guys, im reviving another dead thread, sorry! as you might guess I have some time off this Christmas weekend and am working on my LS! (so rare these days). Do you know if this thing called the WDS system would be at most dealers still? or could it be old equipment they've gotten rid of already? i still would still love to turn off my overspeed warning and the chime in reverse (manual trans). I've been told over the years I need the WDS system to do these things, and maybe I'll need to reset the pcm.

also is the WDS system something I can buy used? (like scanner size?)

-- user craigh is interested in this info too, he has both the overspeed warning and the chime in reverse on his manual 2000 LS

They show up used on ebay from time to time, but they are expensive. I think you probably still need a paid subscription to use many of the features.

Here in the Metro Detroit area, it's very common for dealers to swap cars around depending on orders. I've bought cars that have 150+ miles on them and, from looking at the paperwork found that the car came from Saginaw---or maybe it was Bay City.

KS

hi guys, im reviving another dead thread, sorry! as you might guess I have some time off this Christmas weekend and am working on my LS! (so rare these days). Do you know if this thing called the WDS system would be at most dealers still? or could it be old equipment they've gotten rid of already? i still would still love to turn off my overspeed warning and the chime in reverse (manual trans). I've been told over the years I need the WDS system to do these things, and maybe I'll need to reset the pcm.

also is the WDS system something I can buy used? (like scanner size?)

-- user craigh is interested in this info too, he has both the overspeed warning and the chime in reverse on his manual 2000 LS

Jokken, I was wondering if the Forscan system software might solve our problem. Have you looked into this at all?

Jokken, I was wondering if the Forscan system software might solve our problem. Have you looked into this at all?
It might--FORScan is a powerful tool. You can use it to do things that dealers can't do with the Ford tools.

If you want to see some practical usage of it, take a look at this thread from F150 Forum: Forscan applications - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I mean, it's gonna snow up there sometime, which should give you plenty of time to peruse a 307 page thread... :D

It might--FORScan is a powerful tool. You can use it to do things that dealers can't do with the Ford tools.

If you want to see some practical usage of it, take a look at this thread from F150 Forum: Forscan applications - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I mean, it's gonna snow up there sometime, which should give you plenty of time to peruse a 307 page thread... :D

SoonerLS, you inspired me to try to connect to Forscan again. I figured it out and it connected with my cheap ELM adaptor. Well below zero here today so I won't be doing much playing with it. I am impressed with my initial look at this. It specifically identified the issue with my P430 code and confirmed that I ordered the right parts. It also gave me some insight into why my headlights may are not autodimming. It will take some warmer weather to get me to dig into these things but this has opened up a new world of possibilities for me. Thanks for your encouragement.

Wow this is an interesting thread. I have an '01 manual since new and I've never heard a chime or an over speed warning. But I never had the battery out for a significant time until I shut her down to rebuild the engine. Now I'm wondering if I'll have these issues when I get it running again. We'll see. I'll just add it to the list if I do.
I also have the forscan program and an ELM config adapter but I've never used them. This has poked me again to try it.

Wow this is an interesting thread. I have an '01 manual since new and I've never heard a chime or an over speed warning. But I never had the battery out for a significant time until I shut her down to rebuild the engine. Now I'm wondering if I'll have these issues when I get it running again. We'll see. I'll just add it to the list if I do.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. My LS sat for more than two years, and the battery was dead for a goodly part of that time, and it didn't have any electronic problems, unless you count the bad fuel pressure sensor as an electronic problem.

Members online

Back