• LS

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • mark8

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

ljay99

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
seen nothing but motor and transmission issues.
I loved my mark8s
I kinda like the look of the LS. But notice a lot of issues reported. many before the car even reaches 120k.
My last mark8 was driven very hard and fast often. and I sold it with 283k miles. still steady as a rock.
would love to hear some new informed owners. good or bad.
would u buy an LS over a mark8?

both of my two LS's were a lot more reliable than my 94 mark. only problems I'v had was having to replace the plugs and coils (delaying doing that caused a cat failure that i fixed by hollowing out) a couple of times, and replacing the entire cooling system (which is kinda to be expected on most new cars with plastic cooling parts and definitely with an LS). both motors have been rock solid and my 03 does have a little rough shifting sometimes that is most likely due to the solenoid pack needing to be replaced. the 03 has over 160k on it, I probably put 40k-50k on the 00 before it was totaled out(which never had a single mechanical problem aside from the body shop messing up something that caused them to have to replace the cats on it) and my Mark was pretty reliable, but it did cost me three air bags and two compressors over the years before I swapped it out for coils. it did have to have the trans rebuilt twice and instead of having to have it rebuilt a 3rd time I got rid of it at 190k. while my cars are pretty well maintained, not of them get it taken easy on them. they have always been my hot rods and are constantly driven hard(like literally, they are never turned on and don't see at least a couple WOT pulls)

but to answer your original question, the later the year, the better they get.

personally, if I was to buy another LS, I wouldn't even consider anything older than 03, and would likely try to get an 06, just like if I were to buy another Mark (which someday I may) I probably wound buy one that wasn't a 98.

as far as between them, the Mark has a lot better options for making it a lot faster. the LS is a more refined and well balanced car that will handle a lot better than a Mark. for me, I love my LS but don't see myself ever buying another one. at this point in the game, parts are starting to become hard to find (a problem that the Mark can be effected by as well) and there is just no aftermarket support(at all...) and I am done buying automatic transmission cars for my fun car (and I would not be interested in a manual LS and have to deal with a slower V6) and I also don't think I would be wanting to drop the kind of money into a mark to do a C head blower and a Tremec swap when the current crop of mustangs are far better and a whole hell of a lot faster right off of the lot than either of the two.

so in the end I guess it would neither, the only things I am contemplating right now would be either a S550, or a different kind of LS... like either a 6 litre GTO, CTS-v or a 6.2 CTS-V or GXP. I'm sick of having to work extra hard to make a little power when there are so many other cars out there that start off with so much more and are way easier to make absurd amounts. hell the fact that few LSs or Marks could even keep up with my daily Focus just makes me not want another one even more.

I didn't even read it all.
It was a simple question.
MY mark 8. was trouble free and fast as hell. all I did for 150k miles was synthetic oil changes. motor and transmission flawless.
I can't figure out why they went to the 3.9L or the new POS transmission.
I HEARD the 2003 model was fixed. IS that true? I only ask because I can't buy a mark 8. well, I can. BUT it would have to be VERY well kept. which is rare. esp. within 50 miles of me 46062. I LOVED MY MARK 8. I MISS HER.

both of my two LS's were a lot more reliable than my 94 mark. only problems I'v had was having to replace the plugs and coils (delaying doing that caused a cat failure that i fixed by hollowing out) a couple of times, and replacing the entire cooling system (which is kinda to be expected on most new cars with plastic cooling parts and definitely with an LS). both motors have been rock solid and my 03 does have a little rough shifting sometimes that is most likely due to the solenoid pack needing to be replaced. the 03 has over 160k on it, I probably put 40k-50k on the 00 before it was totaled out(which never had a single mechanical problem aside from the body shop messing up something that caused them to have to replace the cats on it) and my Mark was pretty reliable, but it did cost me three air bags and two compressors over the years before I swapped it out for coils. it did have to have the trans rebuilt twice and instead of having to have it rebuilt a 3rd time I got rid of it at 190k. while my cars are pretty well maintained, not of them get it taken easy on them. they have always been my hot rods and are constantly driven hard(like literally, they are never turned on and don't see at least a couple WOT pulls)

but to answer your original question, the later the year, the better they get.

personally, if I was to buy another LS, I wouldn't even consider anything older than 03, and would likely try to get an 06, just like if I were to buy another Mark (which someday I may) I probably wound buy one that wasn't a 98.

as far as between them, the Mark has a lot better options for making it a lot faster. the LS is a more refined and well balanced car that will handle a lot better than a Mark. for me, I love my LS but don't see myself ever buying another one. at this point in the game, parts are starting to become hard to find (a problem that the Mark can be effected by as well) and there is just no aftermarket support(at all...) and I am done buying automatic transmission cars for my fun car (and I would not be interested in a manual LS and have to deal with a slower V6) and I also don't think I would be wanting to drop the kind of money into a mark to do a C head blower and a Tremec swap when the current crop of mustangs are far better and a whole hell of a lot faster right off of the lot than either of the two.

so in the end I guess it would neither, the only things I am contemplating right now would be either a S550, or a different kind of LS... like either a 6 litre GTO, CTS-v or a 6.2 CTS-V or GXP. I'm sick of having to work extra hard to make a little power when there are so many other cars out there that start off with so much more and are way easier to make absurd amounts. hell the fact that few LSs or Marks could even keep up with my daily Focus just makes me not want another one even more.

I didn't even read it all.
It was a simple question.

sorry, wasn't trying to waste anybody's time... might have been a simple question, but that question has a very complicated answer. I guess I should have just typed neither and left it at that with no explanation.

MY mark 8. was trouble free and fast as hell.

so it must have been built up pretty damn well! sounds cool.

I can't figure out why they went to the 3.9L or the new POS transmission.

joint venture with the newly bough Jaguar. used their motor. as with most things with time, sh!t evolves. just like how a lot of people didn't like when the mustang/mark went from using a 5.0 to a 4.6...
yeah a bunch of people would have preferred if they made the LS to fit a 4.6 but that motor was abandoned shortly after the LS was created

not sure why you think its a POS trans since it was the new trans in the new mustang that makes even more power than the outgoing mustang did.

I called it a P.O.S. transmission. BECAUSE every time I see one for sale for under 2k it has a transmission issue.
I understand 2 k is cheap for a reason. Just seems to be a lot of them with transmission issues.
I DON'T see the same for mark8s

From a strictly mechanical standpoint model year 05 and 06 are the most reliable the LS production had to offer. Still in no way a brakes and fluid change only car. You want a luxury car that only needs general/preventative maintenance get yourself a Lexus.

I personally spent too much time around the disaster years of the Lincoln LS to ever want anything but an 06 model year. 00-02 was a brand new platform design shared with the Jaguar S-type which was also just as large a mess as the Lincoln LS in those years. The S-type for 03 was updated drastically and became one hell of a car. The 03 LS adopted very few of the platform improvements and still suffered from all the annoying maintenance heavy premature repairs.

LS is a nice car but overall it was a test by Ford if they should try and merge more of Jaguars engineering into the future Lincoln lineup. The decision was a NO and the two companies were left separate with only Ford's money funding Jaguar.

Overall I would personally look past both the LS and MK8. Every newer car in the luxury sport class has over 300hp and superb handling out the gate while getting 25+mpg.

Did you ever have anything to do with a Shelby Cobra? The FE-powered ones were the best 'muscle cars' ever built. But they only went fast and quick and stopped. For a daily driver they are no where near what a latest six-cylinder tiddler will do.

Since I can easily remember driving a flathead-powered daily car, I have a very good memory for what was common at that time in regard to care and what is the norm at this time. I have an '02 LS bought new. I've had less trouble and less maintenance than anything else I've ever owned---with the exception of my wife's leased Fords that are traded every other year. Put in gas and give them an oil change and wash them every once in a while. NO OTHER MAINTENANCE. It's easy.

KS

I can't figure out why they went to the 3.9L
There were NVH considerations, but it was primarily because the 4.6L would have to have been top-loaded, which was a non-starter on the assembly line. The 4.6 won't fit between the shock towers when loaded from underneath, unlike the more compact AJV8.

There were NVH considerations, but it was primarily because the 4.6L would have to have been top-loaded, which was a non-starter on the assembly line. The 4.6 won't fit between the shock towers when loaded from underneath, unlike the more compact AJV8.

Ford had McLaren build two prototype 'Mod' motor-powered cars as a feasibility study. They took the entire front assemblies apart to find the 'tight' spots. I was over there while the work was going on and got an 'eyes-on' of the work being done. The largest single problem was that the 4.6 (they were using a 5 litre variant left over from another study, with 480 HP) was a bit too tall to fit under the stock LS hood. The prototypes were using specially-cast magnesium intake manifolds that were a bit 'flatter' but flowed as well as the composite stockers. The alternative would have been to put some sort of bubble or scoop in the hood and Ford didn't want to re-tool to make special aluminum hoods. Soon after, I got a chance to drive one of the prototypes for a few blocks.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back