Tire doesn’t spin freely....Out of ideas...Help!

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just changed outer tie rod and replaced rotors and put a new caliper with brake pads on ....now after tightening the lugs my tire doesn’t spin freely ....could this be a bad brake line?????

Remove the rim and check if the hub spins freely. If yes, perhaps your new caliper is touching the rim.

If no, remove the caliper and check if the hub spins freely. If yes, check your caliper to see if you’ve compressed the piston In completely and evenly. Verify if the pads are correctly installed (yes people have installed them backwards) Verify that the caliper/brake system was bled properly following proper bleeding procedures.

If no, remove caliper bracket and remove the rotor. Check if the hub spins freely. If no, replace hub.

Remove the rim and check if the hub spins freely. If yes, perhaps your new caliper is touching the rim.

If no, remove the caliper and check if the hub spins freely. If yes, check your caliper to see if you’ve compressed the piston In completely and evenly. Verify if the pads are correctly installed (yes people have installed them backwards) Verify that the caliper/brake system was bled properly following proper bleeding procedures.

If no, remove caliper bracket and remove the rotor. Check if the hub spins freely. If no, replace hub.
Thanks for the info Fudge12 I found out it’s a corrupt brake line only one piston is moving out again this is the 3rd caliper that has done this so suspect the rubber hose line is currupt from the inside

if the pistons are not moving together, I don't see how that can be the single brake line going to the caliper?

I also can see a bad brake line causing not enough pressure to get to the caliper, but don't know how a bad brake like could keep the pressure on the caliper after the pedal is released.

if the pistons are not moving together, I don't see how that can be the single brake line going to the caliper?

I also can see a bad brake line causing not enough pressure to get to the caliper, but don't know how a bad brake like could keep the pressure on the caliper after the pedal is released.
If the brake line is corrupted the brake fluid won't return back to the master cylinder thus preventing the piston to retract back hence I must be getting rubbing and the tire won't spin as it should..I could be wrong but I'll find out in a couple days when my new hydraulic brake hose arrives from Rockauto

If the brake line is corrupted the brake fluid won't return back to the master cylinder thus preventing the piston to retract back hence I must be getting rubbing and the tire won't spin as it should..I could be wrong but I'll find out in a couple days when my new hydraulic brake hose arrives from Rockauto
in that case, both pistons should have the same pressure and move the same, not just one.

in that case, both pistons should have the same pressure and move the same, not just one.
So why is only one moving out? Are you saying my caliper is at fault? I’m at my wits end with this rotor rubbing on the caliper...what do you think is going on if not a faulty brake hose?

So why is only one moving out? Are you saying my caliper is at fault? I’m at my wits end with this rotor rubbing on the caliper...what do you think is going on if not a faulty brake hose?
Yes, if the two pads are not moving equally, the problem is almost certain to be the caliper -- probably a stuck pin -- rather than the hose. A hose restriction can be expected to affect both sides equally.

if the pistons are not moving together, I don't see how that can be the single brake line going to the caliper?...

Agree. If one piston on the front dual piston caliper is moving and the other is not, it's a fault with the caliper itself. A lot of those auto store ones are poorly rebuilt.

Yes, if the two pads are not moving equally, the problem is almost certain to be the caliper -- probably a stuck pin -- rather than the hose. A hose restriction can be expected to affect both sides equally.
Okay thanks everyone! Looks like I’ll have to order a Motorcraft since this after market has been nothing but a headache....hopefully this will be the cure all to my woes ....after taking off the hydraulic brake hose in looks like I might need a new tube nut fitting ....learning way more than I ever wanted to know about the Lincoln LSes brake system

You were 100% right and correct it was the caliper after installing the new brake hose and doing proper procedures such as correctly bleeding and making sure caliper’s pistons were in proper position....The entire piston on right side actually fell out and the left didn’t move at all....went to O’reillys and got my money back and will now proceed to buy Motorcraft Caliper....should have done this right away and avoided all these headaches .....Thanks to ALL THE MEMBERS!!!!!!WHO HELPED ME OUT WITH THIS JUNK AFTERMARKET Caliper ...stay clear of Brake Best Brand Caliper or buy at own risk

Last edited:
glad to see you got it straightened out.

honestly, I try to stay as far away from non OEM parts as I can, unless there is an option from a well known high performance brand (which isn't too often with the LS). I've been burned by poor "OEM quality" parts in the past. sure motor craft tends to cost a bit more, but I've found out its buy once, cry once...

Members online

No members online now.
Back