99' Cont. Alpine sound system

Sincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Car is equipped with this upgrade from the factory, and apparently has a tiny powered woofer somewhere (guessing in a box under the rear shelf, haven't looked, think my 92' SHO had something similar). Is the entire system amplified externally? Or only the woofer?

Apparently Ford went the odd route, and actually added some 6x9 or 5x7 (hard to tell) in the rear deck, not a sub, although they sounded like they were getting a low pass signal, along with speakers in all 4 doors. The Alpine (a tape deck no less) had a DSP option, that interacted with the rear deck.

I tossed my Pioneer HU in the car and left the factory speakers in, fully expecting a garbage sound for the time being. Amazingly, they actually sound OK, and clearly have some sort of factory crossover somewhere. I've got the HU cut @80hz (nothing below 80 goes to them) and they are fully coherent at loud volume, and sounds like it has separate tweeters. Kinda surprised tbh. Definitely not standard Ford speakers, though the rear deck speakers are not connected atm. Have a feeling they are Alpine-made as they have Made in The USA stamped on them near the factory Ford markings.

Such an odd combo though for factory fare, a mediocre Alpine tape head unit, an early DSP (it worked), and I'm guessing 8 speakers. Guessing not many got this? Was there a CD deck variant with Alpine labeling? More of a curiosity than anything else.

Did a car fax on the car, and apparently it was a fleet car in Florida for the 1st 14k miles, which might explain why it had an Alpine tape player with built-in DSP.

Nice, I did a Carfax on my car right around this time last year.

They do a decent job telling you where the car has been in its life.

Why does it being a Florida fleet car explain the Alpine system?
The Alpine in my '02 has a CD changer in the floor console storage area.

Fleet cars, depending on the company, seem to sometimes pick odd features, whether that's extremely bare-bones (like hand crank windows and no power locks) or selective features, leftovers not selling, maybe a bundle deal on options not selling, etc.

Does your Alpine have the DSP option? Mine didn't come with CD, but does have the factory amp for the 6x9's, and front/rear doors were powered off the HU. It's an odd combo for a tape unit only.

I’m not into audio.
All I require is that it works and sounds good, which, to me, the Alpine system in my ’02 does very nicely.

By DSP, I presume you mean digital sound processor.
(I looked it up as I had no idea what it is, or what you were referring to.)

My ‘02 is one of the “Limited/Greenbrier” trim models.
It appears to have all the usual options -- but does it have DSP??

I don’t know.

Members online

Back