V6 timing chain kit

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have gotten to the point in rebuilding my V6 where the timing H/W gets installed. Had decided to replace it all just because there was some, not a lot, of wear. (200K miles)
Ordered a new kit from eBay. It's wrong - plain to see parts are incorrect. Getting refund from them but now I'm still looking for new kit and the pix/diagrams for all the ones I see on ebay and rock auto look just like this incorrect kit so I dont think they will fit even though they all include my 2001 in compatible engine list.
So - has anyone dealt with this and found the correct kit? Any other potential sources besides ebay and rockauto (and dealer who I havent tried yet.)? I tried to build kit piecemeal on fordpartsgiant but 3 of the pieces are discontinued. (GRRRRRRR at you Ford)

Thanks

I have gotten to the point in rebuilding my V6 where the timing H/W gets installed. Had decided to replace it all just because there was some, not a lot, of wear. (200K miles)
Ordered a new kit from eBay. It's wrong - plain to see parts are incorrect. Getting refund from them but now I'm still looking for new kit and the pix/diagrams for all the ones I see on ebay and rock auto look just like this incorrect kit so I dont think they will fit even though they all include my 2001 in compatible engine list.
So - has anyone dealt with this and found the correct kit? Any other potential sources besides ebay and rockauto (and dealer who I havent tried yet.)? I tried to build kit piecemeal on fordpartsgiant but 3 of the pieces are discontinued. (GRRRRRRR at you Ford)

Thanks

OK sorry about empty post. So I'm hoping that SOMEONE has been inside one of our Gen1 3.0L engines at least in the timing area. Very strange things are happening when I try to get a timing chain kit. They just are wrong for this engine despite claiming they will work. I have scrounged around the net and put together all the parts I need except ONE. !! :( Fordparts says its discontinued, but they said that about another chain guide I found on eBay.

Here's a photo of the timing area showing the one guide (LH) I'm missing temporarily partially installed. It's got the brownish plastic guide on the metal and has two screws just holding it up. :
IMG_1492.JPG

The replacement parts shown for this on every timing chain kit I can find on the net show a radically different part. Here's photo of mine and it's 'replacement' side by side. Even though the picture stinks u can see the part is different and would never install with the correct orientation.

So what is special about my engine? And where can I find this one chain guide??? I am going to talk to dealer parts tomorrow but IME once they see 'discontinued' they frown and say no can do.
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG

I wonder if the parts you are finding are for the FWD version of the engine? That version would be much more common. Maybe you should try some Jaguar forums?

I wonder if the parts you are finding are for the FWD version of the engine? That version would be much more common. Maybe you should try some Jaguar forums?

Lists of compatible engines for these kits contain the LS as well as a number of FWD appliances. Unless I'm mistaken the Jags had vvti from day 1 so will be diff under the timing cover. I have looked at Terry's jaguar and they have almost nothing avail in the timing area. Rockauto says vvti so Jag is out.

The part number is 6K297B. In the drawing in fordparts .com (see below) the part can be seen and it matches the one I have. There is also a 6K297A for the RH guide.
I took your advice and looked up the 3.0L in the 2001 Escape. The part there looks exactly like the part that is in all the kits. (below) And the part number is the same except for the B modifier. 6K297 What's even crazier is there's another 6K297 in the escape parts list and it is entirely different!

I guess the drawings, which i can see while editing this pose, are not getting into the actual post. I copied and pasted from Fordparts. Here are the links if anyone cares to look: Gotta, of course, expand the correct illustrations.

LS:Buy 2001 Lincoln LS Parts | FordParts.com
Escape:Buy 2001 Ford Escape Parts | FordParts.com
RenderIllustration.ashx

RenderIllustration.ashx

Last edited:

Thanks
Try www.christophersforeigncarpats.com
They have everything you need for timing chains kit in one box. And the former plastic parts are now metal like they should be! Plus they have excellent service and shipping time.

Try www.christophersforeigncarpats.com
They have everything you need for timing chains kit in one box. And the former plastic parts are now metal like they should be! Plus they have excellent service and shipping time.

Christopher's was my first thought too, but I looked there and couldn't find anything at all for the 3.0, Jaguar or Lincoln.

Christopher's was my first thought too, but I looked there and couldn't find anything at all for the 3.0, Jaguar or Lincoln.
Yes I looked there last night and it's all V8s. I also emailed Guerra International who says 'if u cant find it we will' or something like that. They answered back this AM - 'no stock anywhere.'
It looks like I have no choice but to put that used piece back in with the knowledge that if it ever melts down from use it will mean the engine cannot be repaired. Ford has really lost me on this one. :(

Members online

Back