Wondering which way to press the Original Lower Ball Joints?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
As some of you know I'm restoring a 2001 Lincoln LS 3.9 Sport and have come to the Lower Ball joints. I have the new problem solver Moog ball joints to replace the original. I'm wondering if someone can tell me which way I need to press them out? Thanks in advance! By the way that's what's left of my hub assembly in the first picture. It was a PITA to get that thing out ....yes aluminum does galvanize to steel in MN. After 17 years of winter roads with salt I'm very lucky to have it drop out at all. I thought there would be no way in hell it was coming out so I bought the movtech knuckles with ball joint already pressed in but now I'll be sending them back to rock Auto it will be cool to see the quality of these aftermarket parts anyway. So what worked for me was allow PB blaster to sit on the knuckle and hub for at least 48 hours and then using a chisel I broke them free and they popped out Lol Lucky me I get to get another one out on the passenger side still :(

IMG_2065.JPG

Do you mean, which way to do you press them out to remove them? You would press them "UP", if that makes sense. You can see the shoulder on the new ball joint and how it would be oriented in the spindle.

Do you mean, which way to do you press them out to remove them? You would press them "UP", if that makes sense. You can see the shoulder on the new ball joint and how it would be oriented in the spindle.
Very good ...Thanks For the info ....I just went the easy route and I'm having a local suspension shop press them out and the new ones in for $25 ...figure I can't go wrong for $50 bucks

Members online

No members online now.
Back