2004 V6 OBDII Codes, help

Pete 2004 LS V-6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Car will hardly run, back fires, full throttle rpm at 1000 or less at times, then may run for a quarter mile or so. Getting OBDII codes P0171, P0174, P0190, P0760, P1235, P1235, P2196 and P2198. Also stalled once. Ford dealer says the transmission solenoid pack needs to be replaced at $1424.35 but that may not fix it, would have to test drive it to see if there are other problems. Any help would be appreciated. Car has 51,000 miles on it.
Thanks in advance.

P0171 & P0174 - mixture too lean. This is not related to the transmission at all. It is often because of an intake air (vacuum) leak, but could also be a bad MAF, poor fuel flow, misfires, or a few other things.

P0190 - Fuel pressure sensor problem - Well, this could be it. If it is reporting more pressure than there really is, the PCM won't hold the injectors open long enough, and will slow the fuel pump down making the pressure even lower. Alternately, I suppose it is possibly a problem with the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter.

P1235 - Fuel Pump Control out Of Range (Fuel Pump Driver Module/REM). Could be related to P0190 above.

P2196 & P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich. This would seem to be contrary to P0171 & P0174, but I have seen these four codes together before.

None of this has anything remotely to do with the transmission. I'd never go back to that dealer.

P0171 & P0174 - mixture too lean. This is not related to the transmission at all. It is often because of an intake air (vacuum) leak, but could also be a bad MAF, poor fuel flow, misfires, or a few other things.

P0190 - Fuel pressure sensor problem - Well, this could be it. If it is reporting more pressure than there really is, the PCM won't hold the injectors open long enough, and will slow the fuel pump down making the pressure even lower. Alternately, I suppose it is possibly a problem with the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter.

P1235 - Fuel Pump Control out Of Range (Fuel Pump Driver Module/REM). Could be related to P0190 above.

P2196 & P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich. This would seem to be contrary to P0171 & P0174, but I have seen these four codes together before.

None of this has anything remotely to do with the transmission. I'd never go back to that dealer.

Thanks for your reply, I feel the same way. The problem is it won't run (cranks but won't go very far) so my friend and I will have to go get it on his trailer, pain in the ass. If the next dealer sux also I don't what I will do. The car has 51,000 miles and not as much as a door ding, like new. So WTF do I do? There's a place in town that works on Jags, BMWs ect, may give them a call. There's nothing wrong with the transmission.
I guess not many on here anymore as the LS is old but I still like it and don't won't to throw it away. Thanks again for your help.

You might try unplugging the MAF. That will change the PCM to a conservative default map that might be enough to keep the engine running.

It'll be near the air filter, on the air tube. Just unplug the electrical connection.

OK so I'm having a similar problem.
My LS shut down and threw a p0108 map/baro circuit high input, i unplugged the sensor drove for 35 miles just fine, I have replace the mass air flow since getting it home now keeps throwing the same p0108 and shutting down after like 35-40 seconds.
Can someone please help me figure this out?!

Update if I keep starting it and warm her up to normal temp she'll stay running
OK so I'm having a similar problem.
My LS shut down and threw a p0108 map/baro circuit high input, i unplugged the sensor drove for 35 miles just fine, I have replace the mass air flow since getting it home now keeps throwing the same p0108 and shutting down after like 35-40 seconds.
Can someone please help me figure this out?!

Update if I keep starting it and warm her up to normal temp she'll stay running

I haven't gotten P0108. Mine has only shut down once. It runs really bad, as I said it back fires and shutters, sometimes it will run fine for a quarter mile or so then will only run at less than 1000 RPM at wide open throttle and the battery light will come on it's at such low RPM. When it's like that I pull over and shut it down and restart it and I can drive a bit more down the road. That was when I had to get home. Tried it once more a few days later and that's when it shut down. It did have regular gas in it at the time, (long story). What dose the MAF do?

P0108 is not from the MAF, it's from the EGR assembly. Don't go aftermarket on the EGR. There are several posts on this.

Cleaning won't help that problem. It's unlikely that this is the cause for any stalling.

Yeah I bought it a week ago now put a fuel pump in it then found out it was a maf issue by reading a thread on here drove it home 35.4 miles replaced the maf still haveing a stay running issue with no codes other than the p0108 does the coolant temp sensor have any relevance to this issue?

Possible, but not a common issue. A very common issue is marginal COPs (ignition coils). Here too, aftermarket is not good, with the exception of Visteon. Need to change plugs at the same time.

Possible, but not a common issue. A very common issue is marginal COPs (ignition coils). Here too, aftermarket is not good, with the exception of Visteon. Need to change plugs at the same time.
Alright guess I'll go buy me 6 coils and see thanks for the help:)

Well got mine from the assh--- ford dealer today that wanted to work on the transmission. Now it won't run but about 300 feet. Took it to another ford dealer and will have to see what they have to say, don't know else to do.

They say it's the computer, didn't ask any questions, $1718 but better than throwing the car away. Ford doesn't have the part, after market. At 51,000 miles I need to try to drive it a little longer. Thanks for your help joejr, I did unplug the MAF sensor and it did the same thing. By then it had gotten where it would only run about 300 feet and shut down and you had said that the MAF would not fix that problem. Good luck Lincoln66, let me know what you find.

They say it's the computer, didn't ask any questions, $1718 but better than throwing the car away. ...

Wow, what a ripoff, and you are going for it?
People on here have had good luck with this place: Lincoln LS ECM / ECU Repair & Return - SIA Electronics
$170 sounds a lot better than $1718 to me...

(I still question the bad PCM diagnosis in this case, but if SIA finds that nothing is wrong with your PCM, they'll send it back for $90 and you'll know to go somewhere else to find and fix the real problem.)

joegr a little back ground. I am 73 years old and have dementia and emphysema, I can't work on it myself. The first ford dealer wanted $1500 to work on the transmission, BS. Called a guy that works on Jaguars, he would not work on it. Took it to another ford dealer not only would he work on it he at least he was going to work on the motor!!! The car has 51,000 miles on it and doesn't even have a door ding on it, it looks like brand new. I did not want to sell the car for a $1,000 or less (it is not running), so what do I do?? I hope this dealer will fix it, I don't know what else to do. I will be glad to pay you to fix it for me. You pay the $170 for the part and I will pay you $1700, at least I think you would fix it and not screw me. You have helped me and I do appreciate it. Thank you

Members online

Back