2004 LSV6 Codes, P0171, P0174, P0190, P0760, P1235, P2196, P2198 HELP

Pete 2004 LS V-6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Driving and it starts skipping and backfiring. Codes as above. I think I caused the P0760. Was shifting it into neutral to turn off and restart, had to drive it about 20 miles.

2004 LS V-6 with 51,000 miles on it.
Thanks for your help.

You did not cause the P0760 by shifting. It may have triggered then, but you likely have a problem with the solenoid assembly, wiring, or PCM. (There are tests to determine which one.)

Normally, the lean codes are triggered by failure of the PCV elbow. Check it, but it's probably not the main cause of your problems this time.

P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit. I think this is the cause of the rest of the codes, except for the P0760. The PCM/REM can't regulate fuel pressure correctly if the PCM doesn't know what the fuel pressure is. (This could be the sensor, or the wiring, or even the PCM. There are reasonable tests to determine which.)
P1235 - Fuel Pump Control out Of Range. Likely because there is no good pressure reading to use to keep it in range.
P2196/P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (both banks) - The PCM doesn't know what the fuel pressure is, so it is opening the injectors for too long for the pressure that is there.
P0171/P0174 - System Too Lean (both banks) - This is odd, since it seems to contradict the P2196/P2198 codes.

Anyway, I'd solve the fuel pressure sensor/circuit problem first and see if any other problems remain after that.

You did not cause the P0760 by shifting. It may have triggered then, but you likely have a problem with the solenoid assembly, wiring, or PCM. (There are tests to determine which one.)

Normally, the lean codes are triggered by failure of the PCV elbow. Check it, but it's probably not the main cause of your problems this time.

P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit. I think this is the cause of the rest of the codes, except for the P0760. The PCM/REM can't regulate fuel pressure correctly if the PCM doesn't know what the fuel pressure is. (This could be the sensor, or the wiring, or even the PCM. There are reasonable tests to determine which.)
P1235 - Fuel Pump Control out Of Range. Likely because there is no good pressure reading to use to keep it in range.
P2196/P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (both banks) - The PCM doesn't know what the fuel pressure is, so it is opening the injectors for too long for the pressure that is there.
P0171/P0174 - System Too Lean (both banks) - This is odd, since it seems to contradict the P2196/P2198 codes.

Anyway, I'd solve the fuel pressure sensor/circuit problem first and see if any other problems remain after that.

Thanks, I will have to take it to the dealer, can't do it myself. What's the chance of the dealer not screwing me into an PCM?? I was pulling out into traffic and got on it and then stopped at a light, that's when it started, seamed like it was in limp mode, just would not hardly run, maybe 500 RPM then it would take the gas for a few seconds and screw up again. Took me well over a hour to get 20 miles, it was storming like hell.
Thanks for your help.

...it was storming like hell.
Thanks for your help.

Your cowl seal may be bad. That would let a lot of water spill onto the engine. Usually that results in missing caused by the water shorting out the secondary side of the coils. That can cause false codes due to EMI from the coils. However, I haven't heard of your set of codes resulting from this before. Still, it could be that water is shorting out some of the sensor harness.

The dealer may be your best option, but unfortunately most aren't that good with cars over ten years old. Few people take older cars to the dealer, and mechanics don't stay at dealers too long. There may or may not be one there with LS training/experience. They may put more effort into trying to sell you a new car. Alternately, you may have to find a good independent shop that works on Jaguars.

On my BMW, P0171/P0174 Codes generally indicate a vacuum leak but they can also be generated from a weak fuel pump.

... They may put more effort into trying to sell you a new car ...

Ain't that the truth ... and they don't waste much time either. Have we got a car for you Sir!

Sometimes they need a dirty look and a fresh one to truly understand your at hand visit.

The problem started before the storms. Thanks.
Damn car is just like new, I forget how old it is and how little it's worth. A shame.

Members online

Back