Lincoln LS V6 swap info

mrodriguez1911

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2004 Lincoln LS V6. Its automatic as you probably already know. I want more power but I wouldn't want to lose too much fuel efficiency.

Now I don't know much about engine swaps but I wanted to make an "easy" swap with ford components. I'm just assuming they are more compatible. Would an LS fit an engine like the:

Ford Racing 3.5L V-6 EcoBoost Twin Turbo Engine - M-6007-35T?

Any suggestions on engines or components to help improve speed would help. It is currently my daily driver but I don't want to keep it that way. I hope to have fun with her in the future. Please assume you are talking to a complete novice.

Dimensionally, the ENGINE will fit, but I don't know about the turbos and piping. You will also be required to change your transmission as there is no bell housing adapter for 3.5 EB to the 5r55 transmission. A T5 or T56 manual along with a few others are available to fit with aftermarket bell housing adapters. Next you'd need a custom driveshaft because the stocker probably won't fit.

Come to think of it, was the 3.5 EB ever available with a manual in a Rear wheel drive configuration? I think all the F150s were auto.

Bunches of wiring & plumbing adaptations and your PCM will have to be custom tuned as well since there is no tuning support for the 3.5 EB as yet from Ford Racing.

Long story short, there is no easy swap for a Lincoln LS. Even a plain jane 3.7 has valve timing issues that would need to be overcome before you could drop it into the engine bay of an LS.

Last edited:
The Duratec 30 has been used in a number of vehicles (Taurus, Ranger, Probe, Mazdas). I believe you can find a few forged internals suppliers. Rebuild bottom end, then turbo it. Keep your foot out of the throttle and you'll get normal fuel economy.

The Duratec 30 has been used in a number of vehicles (Taurus, Ranger, Probe, Mazdas). I believe you can find a few forged internals suppliers. Rebuild bottom end, then turbo it. Keep your foot out of the throttle and you'll get normal fuel economy.

The Taurus/Sable twins use a Duratec 30 as well as a crappy Vulcan SOHC 3.0, but they are front wheel drive and will not mate to the RWD Lincoln LS transmission. The Mazda 6, same. Additionally the Mazda 6 has been reworked and won't swap into a Taurus at this point (possibly because of the VVT), much less the LS. The Probe never got a Duratec 30, IIRC. Totally different engine. Don't know about the Ranger, but I'm pretty sure that was the SOHC Vulcan 3.0 in that truck.

The Duratec 30 is also found in the Ford Escape, which also uses an updated CD4E automatic transaxel from the Ford Contour. I had a '99 Contour and swapped out the 2.0 Zetec for the 3.0 Sable engine, added a wiring harness, PCM, Dash cluster, and a transmission from an Escape. Damn that was a nice setup with the euro suspension kit on it.... Miss that car.

I think the Vulcan 3.0 was pushrod engine not an SOHC. That probably makes not differance for your purpose. Good on gas but far cry from Turbo V-6 from F-150. Just thought and still think takes stones to put turbo V-6 in full sized PU and tow with it as well. I am in agrement seems electronic side of swap will be hard to get right if find F-150 3.7 to use. I have no idea if truck came with stick or not but the way was packaged, they may have been all automatic. Could find or have special bellhousing made perhaps but large bucks perhaps. LS would run strong with 3.7 turbo under hood if could get all parts together and working on same page. Good Luck!

If you don't know much about swaps then this is not very practical.

I note that the 'edit' function seems to be missing. The days of doing an engine swap with a set of sockets and a screwdriver, and a great deal of bull-work and sheer determination are long gone. It now takes a machine shop as well and someone to introduce you to at least three degreed automotive engineers.;)

KS

look up AJ Hartman. he has installed an ecoboost v6 into his mustang. he also started an ecoboost transplant forum. if i recall correctly he used a v6 mustang manual transmission. or you could buy a crashed ford truck and transfer engine and auto transmission and use either oem truck or FRPP drivetrain controller. you would also have to transfer all emissions related components from the newer vehicle. it's always good to have a donor vehicle accessible for all the goofy oem bits that cost an arm an a leg from dealer. it also makes 3am parts harvesting much more convenient. good luck.

I note that the 'edit' function seems to be missing. The days of doing an engine swap with a set of sockets and a screwdriver, and a great deal of bull-work and sheer determination are long gone. It now takes a machine shop as well and someone to introduce you to at least three degreed automotive engineers.;)

KS

Actually, if you are willing to run a carb and forgo OBDII (can still run cats assuming the cam isn't obnoxious), you can still swap a 302w into pretty much anything. Run a small cam with aluminum heads, and it'll still be a beast. Not a plug in and go option though. Motormounts would need to be custom, and something done to get accessories to run on the serpentine.

If you want a lot of power and have the money, and don't care "who" makes it, go with a GM LS swap. Those are dropped in virtually everything nowadays, and being a pushrod engine, very small foot print, just like the Windsor SBF.

Couldn't you use the 3.7 out of the 11-14 mustang? The Duratec V6's are all the same bell housing pattern according to what I found on Wikipedia (I don't have much experience in this, but interested to know because I want to do my own engine swap into a LS). If that's true then the Mustang transmission would also bolt up to the LS 3.0 V6. Please correct me if I'm getting this wrong.

If you want more power in your LS. Look at the latest issue of Car Craft. and do like the one featured. 900HP Twin turbo Terminator 4.6 4v.

Members online

Back