What do you think of this Lincoln LS? Might buy for the wife..

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this for the wife. Opinions? Problems to look out for?

2003 Lincoln LS Premium - LEATHER HEATED/COOLED SEATS SUNROOF WOOD | eBay

2003 Lincoln LS Premium
Mileage: 84,468

s-l500.jpg

I would be reluctant to buy any car that comes from a 'salted road state' without seeing pictures of the underside. Here are a couple of pics of an LS that was subjected to salted roads.

Rusty_2000.jpg

Rusty_2000b.jpg

Yeah get some photos of the rear frame mounts, the inside of the wheel wells (behind the plastic) and the rocker panels. The rear frame itself may be rotten too. If you see any tar or fiberglass RUN AWAY.

Assuming the underneath is fine, what are you planning to do with the car? The v6 is much better on fuel than the v8 (MUCH better), but the v8 is WAY more fun to drive. It's a huge difference. I own both, the v6 is still a great car but the low end torque on the v8 makes this car special.

I would be very weary of purchasing a car without seeing underneath it. I made that mistake with one LS and everything was rotten.

Also, just noticed your post count so you likely already know all of this lol. Good luck!

... The v6 is much better on fuel than the v8 (MUCH better), but the v8 is WAY more fun to drive. It's a huge difference. ...

Really? How much better is it? Officially, it's only 1 MPG better. I had a V6 as a loner once, but I don't recall noticing that it took less fuel.

Really? How much better is it? Officially, it's only 1 MPG better. I had a V6 as a loner once, but I don't recall noticing that it took less fuel.

Well my EGR valve is shot on the V8 so that may have something to do with it, but honest to god I get maybe 250km to a tank in the v8 city driving. Well over 500 km in the v6. Nobody believes the bottom of my signature, but I have tested this on many occasions and it is true.

If you pick up that car, the first thing I would do is completely flush all the transmission fluid out of it in case it has some or all of that bad Mercon V that the '03s and some '04s had. We went through the transmission issue last fall only after 2,600 miles with our '03 we had just bought with 48k miles and ended up with a re-manufactured tranny. Flush it asap.

Well my EGR valve is shot on the V8 so that may have something to do with it, but honest to god I get maybe 250km to a tank in the v8 city driving. Well over 500 km in the v6. Nobody believes the bottom of my signature, but I have tested this on many occasions and it is true.

Your V8 should be getting closer to 580 km per tank, or at least 500 km. 850 km per tank is 29+ MPG, which is impressive. I've heard claims of up to 27 MPG for the V8, but I think that is rare.

If you pick up that car, the first thing I would do is completely flush all the transmission fluid out of it in case it has some or all of that bad Mercon V that the '03s and some '04s had. We went through the transmission issue last fall only after 2,600 miles with our '03 we had just bought with 48k miles and ended up with a re-manufactured tranny. Flush it asap.

I'm sure that after 80K+ miles and after 14/15 years it has already done what it is going to do.

As I recall, I think I've put up quite a few lower mile LS's in your area. If you haven't looked, here is a link to the most recent ones:

Low Mileage LS's - For Sale

Here is a link to a V6 LS in Crestwood IL.

2003 LS V6 - 73,835 miles - Autumn Red with Gray interior - Asking $4,295 - Located in Crestwood, IL.

2003 Lincoln LS - CRESTWOOD AUTO AUCTION

Used 2003 Lincoln LS For Sale

View attachment 828488180

I'm thinking about buying this for the wife. Opinions? Problems to look out for?

2003 Lincoln LS Premium - LEATHER HEATED/COOLED SEATS SUNROOF WOOD | eBay

2003 Lincoln LS Premium
Mileage: 84,468

View attachment 828488236

That may be, but our '03 was 14 years old with 52K when it imploded. Maybe someone with this car dropped the pan once and took out about 1/3 of the bad fluid, that should put it due to have a problem, oh just about now. ;) What could he have to possibly lose by draining it? I thought that was just good common sense to do when getting a 'new' used car, change out the fluids. I always do, then I know what I'm starting out with. After going through want we did, it would be the first thing I would do without a doubt.

I'm sure that after 80K+ miles and after 14/15 years it has already done what it is going to do.

... Also, just noticed your post count so you likely already know all of this lol. Good luck!

Pro,
Joeychgo is the owner of this here forum (website).
He's pretty much been the very first member since his own creation.

Pro,
Joeychgo is the owner of this here forum (website).
He's pretty much been the very first member since his own creation.

I figured as much. I'm in Canada, so buying cars on ebay isn't as popular. I have vowed to never purchase a car without putting it on a lift ever again. People will do anything for a quick buck.

We've had a V6 and 2 V8's. The mpg in the V6 was negligibly better in the V6. DEFINITELY NOT worth the lower horsepower!

Could a bad EGR valve kill my economy? That's the only thing really wrong... Also, agreed that the v8 kicks the v6's butt all day long.

Members online

No members online now.
Back