Plans for a real CAI with minimal mods - In Development and Uncomfirmed

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have plans to put a real CAI on my LS. This is all the result of a couple hours of mental gymnastics when I couldn't sleep last night but so far things are looking good. I'll be updating this thread/post as things progress in order to make sure anyone following after me has the correct information.

Here's my parts list so far:
2003-2008 Jaguar S-Type Air Cleaner Box - $16 at junkyard
2003-2008 Jaguar S-Type Air Intake Duct - $30 from ebay
2003-2008 Jaguar S-Type Air Filter - $20.00 roughly
1oz 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive - $5 (or something comparable)
Under Hood Weather Stripping, anything will work so use what you got, I grabbed some off the S-Types hood at the junkyard

The engine doesn't matter since the intake duct and air box are the same between the V6 and V8. Jaguar has an under-hood air scoop that sits behind the grill and delivers fresh air (for the most part) directly to the air box. It all fits in the space that the stock LS baffles (at least on a Gen2) sit in. I imagine this will likely work for a Gen1 as well depending upon how much room is between the manifold duct and the intake duct and whatever baffles are there. An aftermarket K&N intake duct or modified OEM duct fixes this so on to the next section for details.

I haven't looked to see if my OEM MAF will bolt into the Jaguar's mount but I am pretty sure that it wont and I'm pretty sure that they aren't electrically compatible. So what I am going to do is cut the MAF mount off of the Jaguar box leaving a 3/4" pipe 'nipple' for a silicone coupler to latch onto. From there I will connect to my K&N typhoon intake manifold duct which goes on to the engine. I won't be using the K&N filter as I prefer paper filters and with this set-up there is no need for any sort of heat shield. You will not be able to use the Gen2 intake manifold duct unless you cut all the baffles off of it. The air intake duct needs the space where the big lower baffle is. On a Gen1 this might not be a problem but I am not really familiar with the OEM Gen1 duct or it's baffle arrangement.

You will have to cut the radiator support cover in order to slide the air intake under it and bolt it down. It has two tabs that stick out about 2", similar to the retaining tabs on the headlights, that get secured to the two cover retainers on the left and right side of the hood latch. Cutting the radiator cover is required to allow you to mount it properly as well as get you extra under-hood clearance. On a side note, just like the headlights, these mounting tabs are easily broken off as they age. So when you are looking for an Air Intake Duct make sure both of the mounting tabs are good. This made finding an air intake difficult since they were all gone by the time I found an S-Type in the junkyard. I ended up just ordering mine from ebay for $30.

Lastly you will have to modify the front weather stripping on the bottom of the hood. As it sits by default it seals against the cover in front of the intake. Leaving it like this would mean the intake is going to pull air from the engine compartment which is the opposite of what we want. To correct this you will have to cut the weather stripping and run it back 5-6 inches so that it seals down against the top of the air intake scoop. I grabbed some extra weather stripping off the S-type I found in the junkyard to fill in the gap after I split and re-run the OEM weatherstrip. I am using 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive for this but you can use anything as long as it's made for rubber weatherstrip bonding to metal. You'll also want to use some degreaser and then alcohol to really clean the bottom of the hood where the weather stripping is going to go to get it to adhere well. You should also clean with weatherstrip with just straight alcohol.

If everything goes as planned, then the result is a fully function under-hood air scoop that intakes fresh 'cool' air from behind the grill and in front of the radiator using OEM engineered smooth intake ducts and minimal modification/customizing. I'll probably use a heat gun to try and bend the radiator cover up at the edges when I cut it so that it meets the air scoop and hopefully the mount points for the air box and duct aren't too far off to fit.

The only thing I'm waiting on is my air intake/scoop duct so I'll be test fitting the OEM jaguar air box and K&N and seeing how that goes this weekend. With a little luck and a lot of cussing this will hopefully turn out to be an effective CAI!

Here's what the stock set-up looks like:
Photo by duncaneldudereno

This is what the Air Intake Duct looks like:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4vUAAOSwOyJX-XT6/s-l1600.jpg

This is what the Air Box looks like:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uZYAAOSw0hlZHQWk/s-l1600.jpg

And here's a decent youtube video showing you how the stock setup goes in/out of the car:

Last edited:
Just confirmed, the Jag is a 5-pin MAF and the LS is a 6-pin MAF, so definitely NOT compatible :)

Why stop there? 4" holesaw for the hood and an air filter outside the engine bay is obviously the way to go for a good nights rest :eek: lol

Why stop there? 4" holesaw for the hood and an air filter outside the engine bay is obviously the way to go for a good nights rest :eek: lol

According to the Jaguar engineers this setup only has about a 2-hp difference between doing exactly that. That's why I'm all for it. Plus it'll sound better and less BS in the engine bay!

post completed pics! or draw it out for a while and call it a 'turbo' modification or something

The scoop should be here Friday and hopefully it'll all be done Saturday. Then I'll post up pics of what I had to do and finish the instructions.

Members online

Back