Gen1 V6 upper intake manifold removal == strange broken bolt thing

substars

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey all,

Was getting misfires on cylinder 1 (the flashing CEL kind) after a big rain and they were still happening after a week, so I'm replacing coils and plugs under the manifold. Definitely some water in there, cleaned everything out and replaced the cowl arm seal to prevent future leaks. Brilliant! Except for the two bolts I broke in the process, wondering what I should do about those.

Bolt #1 is one of the weird bolt screw things that holds the fuel pressure sensor shield/"differential pressure feedback EGR electrical connector" onto the back of the plenum:

image023.gif

can also be seen in this excellent video:

Two hardware stores were not helpful in replacing. Anyone know how I might track one down online? Or maybe just try a normal bolt? Not really sure what the EGR thing does or why this wasn't a normal bolt in the first place.

Bolt #2 was on the cowl brace. Wondering if the remaining two bolts would be enough to hold the cowl and brace in place without leaks; will try again soon but it is really stuck in there and I was not in a good place after an hour of working on it today...

IMG_20170508_001027.jpg
IMG_20170507_172027.jpg

Yeah, I can find the EGR sensor bracket there but not the screw. Guess I'll try a hardware store bolt until I can track down a junked V6...

Last edited:
I have also snapped a couple of the cross brace bolts. I have tried to drill them out with no success and just left them off. Been more than a year and I don't notice an issue.

No water in the engine bay as far as I can tell after like six straight days of rain, guess @craigh was right and a majority of bolts is good enough!

Members online

No members online now.
Back