Looking for opinions on being lazy with Valve Cover Gasket

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So the passengers side valve cover gasket leaks around the spark plugs, resulting in the familiar oil-soaked fouled plug and killing the coils. Nothing new.

I got it replaced yesterday and I'm debating just leaving the drivers side alone. All those plugs came out pristine and there's a TON of shit in the way on that side. Air box, fuel lines, fuel regulator, vaccuum crap galore, etc.

Should I roll the dice and go with if it aint broke, don't fix it? Or should I bite the bullet and spend the 3 hours taking half the upper end apart to replace the non-leaking drivers side gaskets?

:)

Never mind. I decided to just do it instead of being a bum and #7 was starting to fail, it just hadn't gotten to where it was climbing up the boot yet. Just a nice thick oily sludge/tar almost to the bottom of the ceramic insulator.

On a plus note the shop time manual lies and the f'ing drivers side valve cover gasket is a real BIATCH. I guess I'm also a slow mechanic. :)

The driver's side didn't seem that bad to me. The worst part was getting the dipstick tube back into the hole that you couldn't see.

And here's to hoping the o-ring stayed in place :)

The driver's side didn't seem that bad to me. The worst part was getting the dipstick tube back into the hole that you couldn't see.

I guess I'll find out when I replace the AC compressor. I should be able to see it then. :)

I could not remove my dipstick. No amount of persuasion would bring it out. I eventually bent the tab far enough to move it out of the way and bent it back down over the stud upon reinstallation.

Other then the double-jointed tight spaces mean't for small hands, I have to say working on the LS isn't so bad. I've certainly had no issues with bolts sticking, breaking, or things refusing to come off. But then again I live in Florida. Don't have that whole winter thing to contend with.

Other then the double-jointed tight spaces mean't for small hands, I have to say working on the LS isn't so bad. I've certainly had no issues with bolts sticking, breaking, or things refusing to come off. But then again I live in Florida. Don't have that whole winter thing to contend with.

I've had the same observations. The car really doesn't seem that bad to deal with. Local guys absolutely hated it and talked about how difficult it was, but I don't know if any of them ever dealt with one beyond some relative that had one that was a PITA because xyz reasons.

Looking back it seems like everyone was expecting BMW performance with Town Car maintenance requirements.

Members online

No members online now.
Back