96 LSC with a few issues

LQ1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a 96 Mark VIII LSC with 116K miles on it....Two owner pretty clean but interior is in okay condition definitely could use the leather repaired and deep cleaned and all the plastics/vinyl nice shine. Anyway I bought the car out of state and had it shipped. I was told it needed nothing but the statement is rarely true. Soooo I get it this morning and I has the CEL light on which is throwing 3 codes.

P1537-Intake Manifold Runner control stuck open
P0401-EGR Valve
P1400-DPFE Sensor circuit low input

Besides the EGR valve, I have no idea what the other codes mean or if they are all related and fixing one of these will cure the other ones.

Any idea on where to start.

Also have a "Low Coolant"light on. Lift the hood and coolant has either leaked or exploded over the coolant tank and battery. The coolant cap I noticed is cracked though on one side. Could this be the reason why the coolant is low as the cap was already cracked or did the pressurized system have to much pressure and cracked the cap and the coolant leaked out?

replace the DPFE first.

need to see if the IMRC is stuck, or if the vacuum pod is bad. its usually the pod. you'd need to hunt down a new one.
also possible is that the plates are stuck, the solenoid is bad, or the lines have cracked.

replace the cap, they are cheap.
and bleed the cooling system. it is often done wrong and causes many issues.

this is a cobra, but the procedure is the same.
Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products
if you can't get the crossover plug off, you can't get the air out.

So I pulled the codes list that was posted on here and it advised me to read the EGR Valve system article but I couldn't find it. Anyone have the links on diagnosing the EGR valve???

I thought the Intake Manifold runner controls for a 1996 were no longer made. My dealer quoted me $553 for the left and $578 for the right. Part numbers F8ZZ-9U531AA AND F63Z9J459AA. Is this accurate and for the 96 Mark VIII or is the dealer quoting me wrong? I don't want to pay for these when I can buy the IMRC runners used from someone or online

the f8 part number is a 2nd gen IMRC housing, and the f6 part number is an egr solenoid.
sadly neither will help you here.

You might try running a can of sea foam through the pcv valve letting it sit a half an hour and then get it on the highway and run the crap out of it.
I used to have a 96 with the same issues and that cleared it up.those butterflies get gunked up because nobody gets out and punches the gas pedal to exercise them. I'd spend 8 bucks on a can of sea foam before I did anything.good luck

So the seafoam cleans the IMRC. Is there any risk to doing this? Also does this clear out all the codes meaning the EGR valve, DPFE sensor AND IMRC or is it just for the IMRC runners?

You might try running a can of sea foam through the pcv valve letting it sit a half an hour and then get it on the highway and run the crap out of it.
I used to have a 96 with the same issues and that cleared it up.those butterflies get gunked up because nobody gets out and punches the gas pedal to exercise them. I'd spend 8 bucks on a can of sea foam before I did anything.good luck

Sorry I rarely come on sight anymore. You have several issues that need to be checked out. But the intake runners will get gunked up if these cars are driven by little old ladies.and most are. The seafoam will in many cases will free them up. Hopefully you have gotten all this behind you. These are really great cars but they can be finiky.

So my car is in the shop at the dealer getting the oil pan gasket fixed as they had supposedly did it before but found out that they didn't so I should have it back tomorrow...hopefully. I bought a can of Seafoam and going to see if that fixes it. I know someone above mentioned putting it in the PCV valve??? Never heard of that. Should I have bought the aersol can or liquid???

Members online

No members online now.
Back