LED High Beams 9005 install in 2nd Gen

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I posted this yesterday in an older thread and thought it best to start a new one.

A few years back I asked if anyone tried LED's headlights for the Hi beams? I've been watching these for the last couple of years and with tech making everything smaller, I found a set of 9005 that will fit the M8 2nd Gen. Previously they were too big with our dust cover.

They cost was only $40.00, and that included delivery, with a 3 year warranty. They are 4500 Lumens each. The regular halogen bulb is 1700 Lumens. These are much brighter and instant on. Great for Flash to Pass.

It is a tight fit, but with patience they will go in. Instructions for those interested below.

First secure the small ballast (it isn't a ballast, but it is similar to one in a HID kit, just smaller...you get the idea). I used Velcro.

Then put connect stock wiring harness to LED wiring harness and insert this before the bulb.
Then install LED bulb. Be careful it will go in, incorrectly and you will know as the dust cover will not lock into the headlamp housing. If you install the bulb first you won't get the stock harness inside the light. You don't want the stock harness in the dust cover or behind the bulb as that is where the fan is. Best not to block it with the harness.
Make sure you bulb is't larger than 33 Millimetres in diameter and 30 mm in length from base out or back.
1st pic shows digital box installed with Velcro (similar to ballast box w/HID kit)
2nd pic show complete install with factory harness inside housing
3rd pic shows the difference between stock and LED bulbs installed.
4th is stock HID's
5th is stock HID's with new LED high beams

20170421_233326.jpg

20170421_212757.jpg

20170421_230130.jpg

20170423_023134.jpg

20170423_023142.jpg

Thanks for this I have been wondering about putting LED's in. I was even looking to replace the HID with LED (because why not?) Do you have a part number for the bulbs you used?

Thanks for this I have been wondering about putting LED's in. I was even looking to replace the HID with LED (because why not?) Do you have a part number for the bulbs you used?
Thanks for the hi beam they are the stock 9005 bulb.

I thought the same and actually tried them in the low beam just to see the level of brightness and it was brighter than the stock HID 9500 bulb.
The challenge is the 9005 or any other style bulb won't fit with the 9500 socket.
I know 98lincmk7lsc makes adaptors for the HID bulbs, but these won't work due to the design of the LED bulb.
I'm currently trying to design an adaptor for the LED bulb and once completed will update the post with how easy or difficult it was. If not too time consuming, I will make some for members here, should anyone be interested.

Thanks for the hi beam they are the stock 9005 bulb.

I know 98lincmk7lsc makes adapters for the HID bulbs, but these won't work due to the design of the LED bulb.
I'm currently trying to design an adaptor for the LED bulb and once completed will update the post with how easy or difficult it was. If not too time consuming, I will make some for members here, should anyone be interested.

I have these adapters and I didn't know you couldn't use an LED in them thanks for the info! I would most definitely be interested in adapters to use LED in low beams as well, I really like the light the LED's put out in conjunction with their instant on capability.

I have these adapters and I didn't know you couldn't use an LED in them thanks for the info! I would most definitely be interested in adapters to use LED in low beams as well, I really like the light the LED's put out in conjunction with their instant on capability.
For the record, I do not have a set of the adaptors. I took a close look at them here on this site as I was going to buy a pair, but the issue is the heat sink so close to the base of the LED socket. I couldn't see anyway to get the adaptor in between the socket and heat sink where it is needed. I know the adaptor is designed to hold the 9006 bulb snug. The base of the 9006 HID doesn't have a heat sink and is a different diameter, but if you have the adaptors try to find an LED bulb that would work, just make sure the LED's are placed at the same distance as the 9500 or 9006 bulb so they cast the light at the same point in the headlight lens and you stay within my measurements so it fits the dust cover.

I thought the same and actually tried them in the low beam just to see the level of brightness and it was brighter than the stock HID 9500 bulb.
The challenge is the 9005 or any other style bulb won't fit with the 9500 socket.
I know 98lincmk7lsc makes adaptors for the HID bulbs, but these won't work due to the design of the LED bulb.
I'm currently trying to design an adaptor for the LED bulb and once completed will update the post with how easy or difficult it was. If not too time consuming, I will make some for members here, should anyone be interested.[/QUOTE]

Is there a picture posted anywhere of these adapters?

i did the same when i was installing the hi beams - I tried them in the low beam slot. They are much brighter and do not cause issue for other drivers (the beam was low were it should be).

So I to started sourcing material and started developing an LED adapter, trying different types of material. It is important to have the LED in the right spot - needs to be in the same spot as the filament of original bulb.

Last edited:

Members online

Back