Fix one thing another thing goes wrong

Diplomat 1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
so a quick update on my dads 2003 lincoln LS 3.9. It had a broken valve spring on cylinder 8 exhaust side causing a huge misfire. Took apart both heads replaced the valve spring, head gaskets and new timing chain and guides. Car runs beautiful again. So now next problem the car "bangs" into park sometimes going from rev to park and sometimes drive to park. He said the car has been doing it for a while. I read on the broken spring that can cause this in the tranny my question is what else should I replace while I am changing the spring? Any other springs or parts that should be looked at or changed in the tranny?
Not related but I have codes p0153 and p0430 and a pending code of p0420. The 420 has been there for a while but the 153 and 430 is new. Could the sensor have gone bad causing a 430? What's the best way to diagnose this problem? Thanks again guys

Thanks for the responses. So joegr I should just do the spring and solenoid assembly? Is it solenoid plug and play? And do I go oem on the assembly? And 1loudls that makes a lot of sense I don't think the cats are clogged the car runs and drives fine. I see there are a lot of options for replacement cats is oem the only option or is there a good after market brand? Is there a slight chance the o2 sensors are bad and is causing the cat codes? Thanks

Yes, yes, and yes.
Also, OEM will turn the light off for sure. Some aftermarket may, and some aftermarket are known not to.
There's a chance on the O2 sensors, but it's not very likely. (Still, I would replace them before the catalytic converters.)

Got it I see on rockauto that Bosch is the oem maker for the o2 sensors is that correct? The Bosch ones are cheaper than motorcraft lol. This might sound like a dumb question but Do i have the 5r55s transmission in my LS (03 3.9 automatic) cause I see a how to on YouTube but it's on a explorer. I haven't found a how to on changing the spring tho is there a spring just for park? I see the 3-4 spring goes bad but don't see anything for the bang into park. Is this the right shift solenoid assembly?

OEM FORD SOLENOID BLOCK PACK UPDATED 5R55S 5R55W EXPLORER MOUNTAINEER 02 UP | eBay

Yes, you have the 5r55s. The one in the explorer is very similar, but not exactly the same.
I have 1L2Z-7G391-AG as the correct (current) part number for the solenoid assembly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back