Need help with wheel and tire fitment!

TAZ1521

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase new rear tires for my 2004 Lincoln LS V8. Right now I am running 255/35/18 tires in the back on 18x7.5' wheels and they have been fine no issues with rubbing, but now that one has bubbled on the inside sidewall and one has worn out its time to get new tires... the problem is I just found out that since my front tires are actually a bit bigger than my rear tires (245/40/18) (The bigger sidewall actually makes the tires slightly bigger) I don't want to get 255/35s I'd rather get 255/40s or 255/45s, but what I REALLY want to know is if I can run 255/45/18 tires in the back without rubbing at all. The difference between what i'm running now (255/35s) and the other size (255/45s) is roughly 2 inches added to the diameter of the wheel. The reason I want the 255/45s instead of the 255/40s is strictly because there are no tires in the 40s I like however multiple in the 45s that I do... Has anyone run this setup? Will this rub on my wheel wells at all?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly.

In my opinion those tires are too wide for the rims. I'm surprised that a shop installed mismatched rims and tires due to liability. Go to tirerack.com or the manufacturer's web site and see what's recommended for your rim width. The sidewall and tread both get distorted due to installation on a rim that's too narrow.

Also, tire sizes are nominal and actual tire size may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and even between different types of tires from the same manufacturer.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back