Transmission Removal - URGENT!

Iszi

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Trying to swap a '98 tranny into my '93 Mark VIII. The old tranny is dead. We've got the exhaust pipes removed from the cats to the resonator, but we don't know how to disconnect the driveshaft without having to drop the rear end or the gas tank. Does anyone have any ideas? This is being done in a driveway on jackstands, if that makes any difference.

The driveshaft is held in place by 4 bolts on the differential pinion?? (can't remember the exact term) shaft.

Undo those 4 bolts, lower the tank (don't have to completely remove it, just lower it enough to slide the driveshaft out), and remove the driveshaft. It would also be a good idea to mark the driveshaft and the mounting surface to make sure you bolt it back up the same way. Though, I don't think it's necessary, it wouldn't hurt.

or you can drop the front of the diff (just the 2 nuts at the front) and slide the ds over it, the tank or the rear end both about the same and both can be done on jackstands

or you can drop the front of the diff (just the 2 nuts at the front) and slide the ds over it, the tank or the rear end both about the same and both can be done on jackstands

You half-lost me. Is this to say that the diff could be dropped without dropping the gas tank or the rear end?

If I remember right, it's more a matter of moving it out of the way, not completely removing it.

Hey drop the tank it's not that hard to do... make it easy on yourself...

You don't have to drop it all the way...

Don't forget to mark the the drive shaft so when you re-install it you have it bolted in the same holes. If you don't you could get some added vibrations. Just saying this again in case you forget... I know this is important on 94-96 not sure on the 93 as the drive shaft should be one piece.

remove these 2 nuts and the diff will swing down, still attached by the rear mount. and being that this car has independent rear suspension the diff (pumpkin) can come down while leaving the rear control arms and rear axles in tact
here some pics of a bird, exactly the same but the diff is iron not aluminum, just remove the 2 circled nuts and the drive shaft will go over it enough to come out of the trans

rear diff pic 1.jpg

rear diff pic 2.jpg

That Thundermark need some of that rust removed!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!! IM NOT PULLING THE EFFIN REAR SUBFRAME SO YOU CAN REPAINT IT, just admit it man you have a problem and set the spray can down and take 4 steps back!!, and also remember it looks rusty compared to a mark due to its iron control arms and diff, (damn it, take control arm and insert into mouth, lol(sorry inside joke)) alum diff with 410's, someday and stereo, and seats, and, and, and :rolleyes:

I'm contemplating dropping my rear sub frame and painting it. I wonder how much work that would be. No spray can though, POR all the way.

Why yes it has Mike...wouldnt it look really nice with semi gloss black subframe and silver powdercoated lower "aluminum" control arms and a Mark diff??

Why do they call it a "pumpkin"? From here, it looks nothing like a pumpkin - except maybe in color. ;-)

Are there any particularly specialized tools that I would need to disconnect the diff?

I dont know how hard it would be..Ive heard people undoing the exhaust and brakes and then dropping the whole thing??

Trying to swap a '98 tranny into my '93 Mark VIII. The old tranny is dead. We've got the exhaust pipes removed from the cats to the resonator, but we don't know how to disconnect the driveshaft without having to drop the rear end or the gas tank. Does anyone have any ideas? This is being done in a driveway on jackstands, if that makes any difference.

I'm contemplating dropping my rear sub frame and painting it. I wonder how much work that would be. No spray can though, POR all the way.
Maybe I should do this too if I am going to put in a 4.10 diff....wish I had a garage!

Members online

No members online now.
Back