Rear Won't Inflate - New Bags

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So my rear bags won't inflate all of a sudden. Everything I did prior; the front always drops overnight, so before I go to drive, I'd allow the front to inflate just below the rear height (to give it a positive rake). I had some people in my car, and since I hadn't flipped the switch while I drove, it lowered it a tad. I then needed to turn on the air suspension due to snow, and now it inflates only the front bags - makes my Mark look like a gasser. It's almost as if [my car] it forgets to inflate the rear. The rear bags are new, less than a year old, and I installed them myself to insure they were done correctly. But this problem, has me stumped. Anybody know what's happen, or have any advice?
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Is it bottomed out or close to it ?
If so jack up the rear to just below ride hight and activate the air suspension see if it starts pumping

If so jack up the rear to just below ride hight and activate the air suspension see if it starts pumping

I will give this a go! It's not bottomed out, the bags hold air, but the top of the fenders are level with the top of the tires.

Alright, so I just got done trying that. And it didn't work. I don't get it - the bags are practically new.

Doesn't sound like a bag problem
More of a computer/pump problem
To bad your not closer I have the suspension tester

Doesn't sound like a bag problem
More of a computer/pump problem
To bad your not closer I have the suspension tester

That is a bummer. Though, my car has a tendency to magically fix itself. Weird noises going away, electrical, etc. I'd still like to understand why its doing this. But maybe something as simple as just disconnecting the battery, and giving it an undercarriage wash may do the trick. Could be something dirty, or destroyed.

FOUND THE PROBLEM;

The front, passengers sensor - fell off. Legit, fell off. I was airing up my tires, and saw it was just kinda leaning up against the air bag. I have no idea if it works or not, haven't tried it in fear of that. If the sensor is ruined - I'll just coil swap it.

I would've first checked the only height sensor for the rear which is located on the rear driver's side control arm.

Did you ever mess around with the rear height sensor? If so, check to make sure that you didn't leave the adjusting bracket too high, otherwise just make sure the sensor did not come off the ball stud during travel and remount if necessary. If these parameters pass and the bags are not leaking but still won't lift, then I'd suspect a faulty air ride suspension control module.

As for your front; Just change the airbags already if you haven't yet. My daily driver was recently fitted about 2 months ago with new bags from WESTAR and am back to air ride glory!!

I couldn't stand the way the WF struggled to lift itself after highway speeds, let alone the front end looking and feeling like a basketball being dribbled downcourt when driving over road imperfections.

FOUND THE PROBLEM;

The front, passengers sensor - fell off. Legit, fell off. I was airing up my tires, and saw it was just kinda leaning up against the air bag. I have no idea if it works or not, haven't tried it in fear of that. If the sensor is ruined - I'll just coil swap it.
Coil swap is more time and money than replacing a new sensor. Replace sensor, it can cure your problem. Other choice is 2nd to replace the air with coil

I had a front sensor fall off, and that side would pump way up. The spring that holds the sensor to the UCA was bent, and someone had it held on with a wire tie. Re-formed the spring so it was tight, and all worked well.

I've fixed the sensor, and everything works accordingly. I lowered the front some more and got me wondering; how low can the Mark VIII go just by messing with ride height sensors?

Very low
To low to drive

Is that so? Well, where would I have to adjust the sensors to achieve say; a 1.5" drop?

EDIT: Actually, I'd probably go a little lower and more of a rake. To where the fender is just above the front tire, and the rear is like .5" higher. What are we talking to achieve that stance?

Last edited:
Rear is easy just move the sensor.
Front you will need to drill new holes to relocate the bracket.

Rear is easy just move the sensor.
Front you will need to drill new holes to relocate the bracket.

I'll be doing this later today, replacing both front ball joints later, so I might as well. But I mean, those front sensors can only 'scrunch-up' so much. So, I don't believe I could achieve the stance on factory bags. Or am I completely missing something?

If you compress the fronts all the way I think my car lowered 1.5 inches
But that was 13 years ago
Now I just run the asham8

Members online

No members online now.
Back