New Experience. Here's one I don't....

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
believe I've seen here in the past ten years.

A neighbor knocked on my door a little bit ago and told me that my '02 Sport is setting with the Moon Roof open. I've not driven the car for more than two weeks and I left it all locked up, with everything closed. When I went out to look, everything is still locked, but the MR is open.

NOT to my surprise, the battery is dead. When I leave it for a while, the myriad of little electrical/electronic gizmos in the car all do their part to drain the battery. I took the battery inside and put a charge in it for a while and then put it back in the car. Although it started right up, the MR wouldn't answer the switch in the overhead. I've taped plastic over the opening since it's supposed to rain/snow toward morning but that's a poor band-aid for shutting the MR.

I thought there was a way to manually shut the roof but I don't see any sign of what I should do.

Two questions---does anyone have a method to shut the roof manually?
Second question---Does it make sense that the battery running down might trip things in such a way to open the roof? Or any other thoughts?

KS

Had problems when the alternator started to go bad. Drained battery even when was sitting fully charged. The SR is strange tho

IIRC the moon roof would open if you held the unlock (with the windows)...

Maybe something there happened.

In the 60s and 70s, the moon roofs that I know of had a place to put an emergency crank so that you could close them. I'm not sure when they stopped including that feature, but AFAIK, it is long gone now. I don't know of any non-electrical way to close it. If you drop the headliner, you may be able to remove the motor and get it closed.

The REM would have to have energized the power relay that feeds the moon roof (and several other things) for it to operate. The REM does also control the signals to your 1st gen moon roof for open and close. Certainly, this shouldn't have happened, but clearly it did.

have you ever lost a key? maybe somebody took your car for a joy ride and almost put everything back like it was...

When I got the car I gave one key to my Dad. After he died, it wasn't to be found. My Daughter lost the second one not long thereafter. I have been using the valet key for many years.:confused:

KS

... and I thought I had problems!

IIRC the moon roof would open if you held the unlock (with the windows)...

Maybe something there happened.

This happened to me once before I learned about this feature. The buttons were accidently pressed in my pocket I believe and I come out later and find all the windows down and moon roof open.

believe I've seen here in the past ten years.

A neighbor knocked on my door a little bit ago and told me that my '02 Sport is setting with the Moon Roof open. I've not driven the car for more than two weeks and I left it all locked up, with everything closed. When I went out to look, everything is still locked, but the MR is open.

NOT to my surprise, the battery is dead. When I leave it for a while, the myriad of little electrical/electronic gizmos in the car all do their part to drain the battery. I took the battery inside and put a charge in it for a while and then put it back in the car. Although it started right up, the MR wouldn't answer the switch in the overhead. I've taped plastic over the opening since it's supposed to rain/snow toward morning but that's a poor band-aid for shutting the MR.

I thought there was a way to manually shut the roof but I don't see any sign of what I should do.

Two questions---does anyone have a method to shut the roof manually?
Second question---Does it make sense that the battery running down might trip things in such a way to open the roof? Or any other thoughts?

KS
One of the 3 LSes in my stable has a flaky MR. It stops where and when it feels like. But if I am persistent and use the switch like a transmission shifter to get out of a snow bank (to use a Toronto metaphor) you know D, then R then back again, things eventually are right with the world.
So have you tried that? Move the switch in the rearward direction to move the MR back a few inches, then forward, if it doesn't close all the way try moving it further back, or not as far. It's worth a try.

Last I used the open-all feature on the FOB, it busted the MR plastic guide rails.
Of course it was snot cold out, had just taken possession of the 01 Sport, ... Spray wash ... w/ frozen MR tracks .... 'cuz I'm an idiot like that ... Snap said: the plastic rail guides.

~ still haven't fixed it yet. :confused:
(disclaimer: complete 1st GEN salvage MR ASSY w/glass obtained.)

It's been below freezing most of the time and rain/snow in spurts. I taped a garbage bag over the opening and probably won't do anything for another week. The engine starts with no urging but there is no response when I try the MR switch. I'll check fuse #16 first when I get to looking at it. Perhaps it's as easy as that.

KS

When my battery started going south,,, the horn would honk randomly. No other quirks beyong that.

I would think even with the valet key,,, you should be able to close the sunroof. Just hold the key in the lock position for a few seconds. If the sunroof motor didn't die... and still has power going to it,,, it should close.

I just tried my valet key,,, and the doors locked and the sunroof closed.

I don't know if this will work or not... but if you can bypass the vehicle electrical system and run power right to the MR switch,,, that might tell you if it's a motor problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back