Ls problem

MattsLincoln

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2000 Lincoln Ls 3.0 v6 and I've been having an issue where when I accelerate I get a high pitched humming/buzzing noise from somewhere in the front. Almost sounds electrical? Any suggestions?

Could be several things.

I'd be lookin at the belt tentioner and associated pulleys at the accessory drives, could be even something on that like alternator, AC compressor, PS pump.

Possibly even a wheel bearing on its way out.

Could also be a cold air intake if it has one, making some noise when you get on it.

Only does it when you get on it as in WOT ?
Other then that it's running and idling properly.

Might even be a vacuum leak you are hearing.

Could be several things.

I'd be lookin at the belt tentioner and associated pulleys at the accessory drives, could be even something on that like alternator, AC compressor, PS pump.

Possibly even a wheel bearing on its way out.

Could also be a cold air intake if it has one, making some noise when you get on it.

Only does it when you get on it as in WOT ?
Other then that it's running and idling properly.

Might even be a vacuum leak you are hearing.
Thanks. I'll have some things checked out

Need lots more detail.
Sound only while accelerating?
Sound at higher speeds (accelerating or not)?
Sound when revving engine (not in gear)?
Could you post a recording of the sound?
Stock or aftermarket intake?
Stock or aftermarket exhaust?
Stock or aftermarket sound system? (Same noise with radio off?)

Could be a heatshield, could be loose plastics underneath. Check the grille insert. Check the apearance plastic on top of the rad. Check window to glass seal.

Cup your one ear with open hand, forward and backwards and be sure the sound is indeed coming from the front.

Turn off your radio and rev it, my LS has a weird high-pitched whine whenever the radio is turned up that seems to get higher pitched the higher my RPMs are.

In your case Devin... I think you are hearing electrical feedback from the
(or a) ignition coil(s).
Is that bad then, I'm fairly sure the coils were replaced right before I bought it, and it has always done it since I have been driving it. Also didn't realize this thread was from 6 years ago lol.

That depends on the quality of the coils that were installed.

Also... there is supposed to be some sort of capacitor mounted in back of the engine, and under the cowl... to supress the noise.

Member Joegr knows more about that.

Also... there is supposed to be some sort of capacitor mounted in back of the engine, and under the cowl... to supress the noise.
There are two suppression caps, one for each bank. They mount on each side of the intake manifold to a manifold bolt, about midway back. Capacitors do degrade with age and heat.
All that said, it's more likely to be alternator noise if it is as you described. The LS is a multi-fire ignition, so ignition noise should be higher at idle (multiple sparks per hit) and then reduce as the engine speed increases to the point that it switches to one spark per hit, then go back up some as it gets faster.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back