Weird windshield wiper problem

buggut

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Wifes 02 LS developed a strange problem with the wipers, when you turn them on in any mode, low-high-intermittent or with the spray, they do not activate. Leave them on and in about 2-3 minutes they will come on and work normally in all modes as long as you do not turn the car off for any amount of time. There are no strange noises, the wipers park themselves in the correct place. I have searched and cannot find this problem anywhere, and to make things fun, my manual on CD has quit working. Any suggestions with this is appreciated.

I went through one season when my wipers were 'iffy' and not to be counted on. I don't think I ever left them on for two minutes if they refused to work. Subsequently, they went back to working as if new. ?????

KS

Odd ... what happens if you disconnect both battery terminals for longer then 30min and immediately after hooking them back up, you run the wiper settings through it's passes? Does it make any difference at all?
Give the ignition key a good 10 seconds in the ON position before cranking. Let it initiate everything again.

First... I would check for a bad ground within the wiper circuit. Does rapping on the wiper motor lightly with a hammer help them to work. Could be the ground... or maybe that the wiper motor is just getting tired.

Odd ... what happens if you disconnect both battery terminals for longer then 30min and immediately after hooking them back up, you run the wiper settings through it's passes? Does it make any difference at all?
Give the ignition key a good 10 seconds in the ON position before cranking. Let it initiate everything again.
Hmmm... interesting. Is that a canned procedure of some kind? Can't say that I tried it. Basically, seems like the wipers do not work for 2-3 minutes when I first start the car. When I replaced the clock spring, I did notice an unused male plug hanging, but did not know what it was for. I later noticed that the exterior mirrors don't work, so that plug might have something to do with it. I doubt the plug is related to the wipers though.

First... I would check for a bad ground within the wiper circuit. Does rapping on the wiper motor lightly with a hammer help them to work. Could be the ground... or maybe that the wiper motor is just getting tired.
Now that you mention, our '03 Windstar had a problem where the instrument cluster would go haywire. I finally pulled up the carpet and cleaned the dash grounds -- van was fine after that (we called that van Eeyore.) Glad you reminded me of this.

Don't know how the LS wiper system is grounded... but years ago when wipers would quit,,, a couple bangs with the hand would get them working again. Since the wiper motor was grounded through the bolts back then... it was just a matter of loosening and re-tightening the bolts. Might be worth a try.

... Is that a canned procedure of some kind? ...

Just a thought to see if it potentially would start behaving normal.
I understand it's not a Microsoft product but one never knows if a reset may smarten it up. <shrugs>

Members online

Back