Dash Cam Installation

ACDiecast

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I picked up an Itronics Dashcam and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I wanna talk wiring.

I know where I'm going to mount it, and I'd like to route the wires back down to behind the stereo HU since I'm going to hook up an RCA video wire so I can view the cam through the stereo.

What would be the best power/ground wire to tap into at the stereo wire harness?

aftermarket radio that will be doing the viewing?

if so the red wire (positive/acc) and the black wire (ground) at the harness for your radio. if your camera also needs a constant wire, then use the yellow wire

aftermarket radio that will be doing the viewing?

if so the red wire (positive/acc) and the black wire (ground) at the harness for your radio. if your camera also needs a constant wire, then use the yellow wire

Yes, a Kenwood DDX-9703S will be doing the viewing. Thank you, that should give ignition power with RAP until you open the door, correct?

Yes, a Kenwood DDX-9703S will be doing the viewing. Thank you, that should give ignition power with RAP until you open the door, correct?

No RAP, unless someone ran a new switched power lead from the DDM or the REM, or if the car was originally wired for THX nav. For the factory radios, RAP was done inside the radio using data from the CAN bus.

(If your aftermarket radio does have RAP working, then one of the above things is true, and the camera will then have RAP as well.)

I run my camera off of the mirror/rain sensor power. Then just have the live video feed run down one of the pillars and through the dash to accomplish what you are trying to do. Less wires to have running all over the place.

I run my camera off of the mirror/rain sensor power. Then just have the live video feed run down one of the pillars and through the dash to accomplish what you are trying to do. Less wires to have running all over the place.

I hadn't considered that, do you have any pics or explanation of your cuts and splices? I'm hoping to keep a clean OEM look with this.

If you remove the wiring "tunnel" or whatever black plastic strip with the wires from the headliner down to the rain sensor and mirror base, you will find a large black and red wire. That is your power and ground that is switched on with ignition. Pretty straight forward, I just spliced into the wire in the middle of the channel/tunnel. This is also where my radar/laser detector is hard wired in.

Members online

Back