Lets talk about balljoints

washin34

LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought these ball joints. Took them to Midas and they said "Ford only sell them with the knuckle assembly." I'm thinking "no sh*t." First the salesman told me the ball joint was "made into the knuckle", which I called him out for. The salesman told me he would have to take the black abs assembly off the back of the hub to press in the ball joint. He continues to tell me that even if he doesn't have problems getting that black abs assembly off and back on the hub, he doesn't know if the ball joint I have will fit. Of course this means I would be forced to buy the knuckle and pay for the labor time for trying to press in the ball joint.

I then called the Ford dealer and asked why Ford only sold the balljoint pressed in the steering knuckle. First he said they were load carrying bearings and it is possible that the steering knuckle may have been stressed or weakened as well as the balljoints, so it is recommended to replace both. Then he said it is possible that the aftermarket ball joint may not seal as tight or may seal but come loose later.

Does anyone have any personal experience with these ball joints or getting them pressed in? How many miles do you have on them?

I know how shops like Midas have a salesman approach at things, which may give them an incentitive to go for a more expensive fix. I just want to spend my money wisely whether it costs $1800.00 or $250.00

balljoints.jpg

There are some memebers on here who have bought these and used them. I'm quite sure some of them will chime in. As far as I know, I haven't heard any compliants about them. I just wished they would have came out a little sooner when I replaced my front two knuckles back in 08 because of the balljonts.

ball joints

I purchased the Euromarque joints, and they have worked well so far...

However, if you have a first gen, it appears that you now have 4 options...

Euromarque (ebay)
Deutche Parts (ebay)
Moog (rockauto.com)
Deeza (rockauto.com)

Just from personal experience, I would go with the (slightly) more expensive Moog components, as I've never had a problem with Moog parts before.

I've never heard of Deeza before, but it seems they make/sell alot of various chassis components.

I actually have to source rear upper control arms now...

And Ford wants 161/ea for them... so if anyone has any ideas, chime in...
PS: these have a lead time of nearly 3 weeks from the dealership.

euromarque joints here...2yrs, 40,000 miles and no probs...i went to the ford dealer to have them pressed in. i had the knuckles off the car and they charged me around $20ea. you need to buy 90 degree grease fittings if you dont want to remove the hub to grease them. and check the nuts every once in awhile, i had one ball joint come loose after a few months. lucky for me it didnt enlarge the hole in my lower control arm or ruin the joint itself. i doubled the nut on both joints after that.

new link sway bar and ball joint.jpg

I had mine done. Ebay ones.
Cost me 300 in labor but they work awesome. Better than paying what Ford wants.

^
Look about the same..

300 in labor?

mine were 75/side

still cant find a rear upper control arm anywhere but the dealership though...

I've got the Euromarque (ebay) ball joints. It was $120 in labor to change them at the local Firestone. On a side note if you are changing them because of a clunk in the front change the swaybar rubbers (for lack of better words) first.

Ford sells only the entire knuckle assembly because that is how they get them from their supplier. To sell the separate parts would add overhead. They would either have to source and manage the supply chain of the assembly and the separate pieces, or do the assembly in house. Either solution adds to the manufacturing and support costs for Ford. Therefore, we are stuck buying eBay ball joints, or buying the whole thing. Expect this type of thing to get worse going forward.

Thanks for the responses everyone especially for that pic Hite. Jolink where do you live? I live in South Carolina and every "Firestone" type shop tell me that they don't want install parts on my car unless they can mark it up some. I'm getting them installed right now. I will let you guys know how things turn out.

The results:

The shop the I wanted to press it in and press it out initially said they couldn't do it. We agreed to allow it to be pressed in by a third shop and they would install the knuckle onto the car.

I took the knuckle to Napa and they pressed them in. He complained about the unusual shape and design and sort of "made" a tool that allowed him to utilize the press he had. He was beating it to hell.

Is that how you remove ball joint? Has anyone ran into this sort of issue?

The first one worked. The second one broke.I bought a used steering knuckle from the salvage and it was not a stripped down knuckle. It had the abs (black) box on the back,rotor,caliper bracket all attached. The installers had to disassemble and install. The ball joint was OE, but was in good shape.

I ended up with a used, but in good shape, ball joint and a brand new one.

The shop installed it all for $250. The used steering knuckle was $120. The ball joints were $100.

Did I come out on top? Should Napa have paid for a new knuckle?

Blackberry camera

IMG00138-20100601-1217.jpg

IMG00139-20100601-1218.jpg

IMG00140-20100601-1219.jpg

IMG00141-20100601-1219.jpg

wide shot.jpg

tires plus told me I need new ball joints and printed out a quote for me for 550$ is that good or bad?

Deeza (rockauto.com) - Crap

Dear LowLS,

We apologize that you had problems with the Deeza ball joint you ordered and we are sorry to hear your comment about our products.

All Deeza parts come with our warranty, 2 year/40,000 miles. We have not received any claims from you on the part you purchased yet. However, if you can let us know where you purchased the product, your order number, name, delivery address and part number you received; we would be more than happy to arrange a pick-up for the part from you and refund you fully on your part and shipping costs. This would also give us the opportunity to review the part and understand the reason why it was not up to your satisfaction.

I also read your post saying "they are not the same sizes when bought." and I need to comment on that. The part number LN-G603 is 14mm ball joint and it is dimensionally exactly same with the OE ball joint. There should not be any problems about that as we reverse-engineer the products through the OEM specifications and dimensions and we have sold thousands of this ball joint without any problems in the last 6 months.

If you are looking for the 16mm ball joint for Lincoln LS', you need to order Deeza Part# LN-G604.

You can reach me at my email: koray.kuru @ deezachassis.com or call toll free 877-336-2595.

Thank you.
Koray Kuru
Product Development Director
Deeza Chassis Parts

Dear LowLS,

We apologize that you had problems with the Deeza ball joint you ordered and we are sorry to hear your comment about our products.

All Deeza parts come with our warranty, 2 year/40,000 miles. We have not received any claims from you on the part you purchased yet. However, if you can let us know where you purchased the product, your order number, name, delivery address and part number you received; we would be more than happy to arrange a pick-up for the part from you and refund you fully on your part and shipping costs. This would also give us the opportunity to review the part and understand the reason why it was not up to your satisfaction.

I also read your post saying "they are not the same sizes when bought." and I need to comment on that. The part number LN-G603 is 14mm ball joint and it is dimensionally exactly same with the OE ball joint. There should not be any problems about that as we reverse-engineer the products through the OEM specifications and dimensions and we have sold thousands of this ball joint without any problems in the last 6 months.

If you are looking for the 16mm ball joint for Lincoln LS', you need to order Deeza Part# LN-G604.

You can reach me at my email: koray.kuru @ deezachassis.com or call toll free 877-336-2595.

Thank you.
Koray Kuru
Product Development Director
Deeza Chassis Parts

Ok I am the new guy, but this looks like good customer service. I cant belive its been a year and no one has commeted on this?

I just had my lower ones replaced, should have went to a more well know shop that knew what they were doing, and from what I know and have seen on here I went with the MOOG ball joints, yes there more expensive but you get what you pay for... The only problem that I had was the shop told me they needed to take the bearings out to press the balljoints in and out? is this true? they did it any way but cost me 120 bucks for the lower ball joints and 170 in labor. Didn't think that was too bad.

I just had my lower ones replaced, should have went to a more well know shop that knew what they were doing, and from what I know and have seen on here I went with the MOOG ball joints, yes there more expensive but you get what you pay for... The only problem that I had was the shop told me they needed to take the bearings out to press the balljoints in and out? is this true? they did it any way but cost me 120 bucks for the lower ball joints and 170 in labor. Didn't think that was too bad.

Yes you do need to remove the wheel bearing to press in the ball joint but it only has 4 15mm bolts and its out. Its very easy to remove

For what its worth, Deeza's customer service seems to be better than Moog's lately.

I emailed them this morning around 7:30 asking if they would consider adding the rear toe links to their product line... and within an hour had an email back from the same guy as above (Koray Kuru) confirming the Ford p/n and saying that it looks like something they can do, and that they will look into it further.

I emailed Moog almost two weeks ago with the same request and still haven't heard back from them.

I applaud the customer service Deeza has shown, and love the product development team, and they fact that they may actually take the risk to design a new part for a car that is out of production. Considering the car only ran for 6 years, and parts are already becoming discontinued left and right with no exact cross reference, its nice to see that there are aftermarket manufacturers out there that can help pick up the slack.

Hopefully this toe link idea comes to fruition, and we can get them for around ~50 or so a piece.

It had been discovered that this Koray Kuru character presents himself under a different job title each time, on other forums. Just my $0.02.

According to both his LinkedIn profile, and Deeza's parent company's website, he is the director of new business development/product development.

We'll see if this all pans out.

Deeza

I purchased the Euromarque joints, and they have worked well so far...

However, if you have a first gen, it appears that you now have 4 options...

Euromarque (ebay)
Deutche Parts (ebay)
Moog (rockauto.com)
Deeza (rockauto.com)

Just from personal experience, I would go with the (slightly) more expensive Moog components, as I've never had a problem with Moog parts before.

I've never heard of Deeza before, but it seems they make/sell alot of various chassis components.

I actually have to source rear upper control arms now...

And Ford wants 161/ea for them... so if anyone has any ideas, chime in...
PS: these have a lead time of nearly 3 weeks from the dealership.

I used Deeza outer tie rod end links in another car. While they work, the rubber boot has cracked after only 2 years.

tires plus told me I need new ball joints and printed out a quote for me for 550$ is that good or bad?
Deeza

I used Deeza outer tie rod end links in another car. While they work, the rubber boot has cracked after only 2 years.
"I am putting entire new moog parts ,ties, balls, arms, the works in a kit from moog for 337.00 parts. I will install them in my own garage. Professional 4 wheel alignment U tube has excellent instruactions as well as lincoln vs cad on how to do this job"

Members online

Back