Bypassing the stock radiator transmission cooler.

lincolnelite

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I noticed transmission fluid leaking on the stock radiator transmission cooler. The radiator still is good on the coolant side and I don't want to replace it with aftermarket (they all suck but the OEM is pricey) Since I don't want to spend that much on this car I just decided to buy a hayden transmission cooler in ebay for $32, $10 transmission fluid hose and a $3 hose barb coupler to fix the leak.

After installation at 50F ambient temp, the transmission temp reached 153F driving for 30mins on highway and stop and go traffic. Not that bad since the OEM cooler will maintain it at 180-185F because of the radiator coolant.

The bumper cover has to be removed to properly mount or access the hoses. Note that it has an existing external cooler. I still preserved the existing external cooler. I'll be monitoring this setup during summer.

16427593_1445810872158368_3870889351264916041_n.jpg

I just read your Facebook page outline on this procedure, nice work. Temps seem to be very good to me.

monitored the transmission temp today and at outdoor temp of 92F, the coolant reached the max of 228F and transmission temp stayed at 188F.

19366283_1637377139668406_7964996544600095778_n.jpg

If I saw that ECT reading on my ’02 I would most likely wet my nice leather seat.

Down here in SW Florida in 95°F and above, my ’02 usually runs around 200°F - 206°F.

It does go down to 104c which is the average coolant temp when running at the highway. At 109c the fan kicks in at idle trying to maintain it a 104c. I'm thinking it should be lower but for a 19yr (almost 20yrs) with stock cooling system it will be not that efficient anymore. It's kind of hard to find newer cars right now that most parts could last 20yrs especially on the cooling system.

I’m far from a Lincoln expert, so I don’t know about the quirks and life of it’s cooling system components.

My Conti is only a few years newer, and it runs a lot cooler.
With older cars, where I live, I keep a close eye on the coolant temperatures on both of my cars.
I would not be happy with the coolant temperatures you are seeing.
Not knowing it’s past maintenance history, I would at least be changing out the radiator, as it may be the original unit.

In the world of radiators new is not always better.
In the past I always took my old radiator to a radiator shop and had it re-cored.
You will usually get better workmanship, a better warranty, and the unit will be an exact no fuss fit.

As long as it's not overheating I'm happy with the original radiator, most of the new ones are junk anyway and the OEM is really pricey. Other factor could be the fan too since the temp goes down when I'm on the freeway, it's in park/idle that it creeps up. The only thing not original on the engine side is the valve cover gasket and plugs. I may have to change the coolant since it's 3+ yrs since I flushed it.

Members online

Back