Parts Car + No Title = Trouble??

Dr.Mark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a clean 2000 LS parts car local to me. I need the trans from it and the one in it has had the solenoid pack replaced and serviced 2500 miles ago. The motor has timing chain issues and doesn't run. She just told me there is no title to come with the car. I don't know if it's because of a bank lien or whatever she won't say. So if I buy this car for the $500 and part it out, no title will tie my hands when it comes time to unload what's left correct? I know a scrapyard won't touch it without a title but is there any other options besides a junk yard?

Parts.jpg

Parts1.jpeg

I've parted out cars before. You're right, a metal recycling scrapyard won't take the car she'll without a title. I've always had the title but if I didn't, there's ways around it. You won't be interested but I'll share.

I normally part out cobras. So I tear them down to the bare shell, no way of rolling it or towing it to the yard. So I cut it up with a sawzall and take it on the back of my pick up. The first time I did that, they didn't ask for the title until I was leaving. Took them a while to realize it was a car. They told me that a title is required. The girl also told me that next time, as long as the car doesn't look like a car, no one will bug.

So if you must, cut it up and take it in pieces. Maybe 2-3 separate trips.

I parted a blown 5.0 convertible like that when I lived in South Georgia, cut it right in 2 with a sawzall when I was done and hauled it away like that but I actually worked at the junkyard it took it to. It was junkyard out back and repair shop up front so they didn't ask any questions. But now I don't have the shop space I used to or a way to haul it off so it would be a big deal to cut it up. I want the car because mine has a few miles and I'm sure there's plenty there I can use. Maybe it needs a blown 4V in it and some slicks to make it a drag car. Gut it and put a cage in it. Thanks for the reply man.

Yeah, what these guys said. Quarter the SOB and take it to four different yards.. after you remove all of the valuable aluminum and cash it in to buy beer.

I guess I need to invest in a plasma cutter or a shit load of sawzall blades! It is kind hard to turn down for the $. But with no title I'm going to lowball her as much as I can. It's useless to her without a title unless she finds someone else like me who needs the parts. $250 is a nice # for me.

Its all relative to the laws in your state, and to a point in general for the country you are in. For example, in the Dictatorship run CA DMV, crap like that would be unlikley and at the least full of risk. Highly illegal to try and sell a car sans title private or otherwise here.

In general, you should be able to take the vin to any state dmv and research the legal owner. If its her, then no sweat. If it is someone else, they could come back some day and sue you saying you owe me a few thousand dollars for my car that you took - possibly could even go criminal if it is reported as stolen.

As far as the scrapping out of it the last legal owner in the examples here would have been the junkyard, and listed as such for ttitle - scrap or whatever. Thus destruction of the whole into a non serviceable something. If the car is then found on the road whole the scrap yard is on the liable hook.

In this case, an ounce of prevention my be with far more than $250 bucks savings.

Last edited:
The fact that seller can't produce a title would be worrisome to me. Pretty easy and inexpensive in most states for the owner of record to obtain a replacement title from DMV. If they can't do that I wouldn't want to assume the risk of an angry lawful owner, with perhaps the local sheriff in tow, tracking me down. But that's just me.

I backed away from it, she couldn't tell me why she doesn't have a title for the car. She wouldn't say of she owed money or she lost it or whatever and that made me nervous. I did offer cash for the trans and offer to pull it where it sat but she declined. So I'm still on the lookout for a good trans, if I don't find one soon I'll just yank mine out and take it to have it rebuilt. I'd like to just do this once so a rebuild is probably the way to go. Thanks for the help everyone and if anyone has a good used trans let me know please

I backed away from it, she couldn't tell me why she doesn't have a title for the car. She wouldn't say of she owed money or she lost it or whatever and that made me nervous.

Probably a smart move. Maybe you ought to take the VIN to the police so they can check if it is stolen. If not... you MAY be able to get an abandonement title for it.

Could be that it belongs to a relative or family member that isn't there right now and who might not agree with her getting rid of it...

Members online

No members online now.
Back