Alternator replacement

garcia82

LVC Member
Reaction score
Going to tackle my alternator tomorrow morning mind you I live in Massachusetts and it's cold out on I'm in a driveway and it's cold so would like to make it asap. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows any tricks or is it a OK job should I buy a motorcraft alternator do I need a special tool any help would be great just to let everyone know I woke up this morning for work started her up and heared a loud hum gave it gas and it got louder so I took a long squrew driver and listened to everything around the noise and once I put it on the alternator it was obvious it was the problem I ordered one today but it's not a motorcraft it's rebuilt am I going to half the change it in month??

Last edited:
V6 or V8?

On the V6 its not too bad, get the car on ramps and it can be dropped out from underneath. Never did it on a V8.

v8 is not too bad. u jus need to also undo passanger side sway bar link n mount (bushing) the bolt with nut doesnt back out all the way without hitting it. wen u install new 1 reverse the bolt n nut the other way... in case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Really??? Can't find a place to do this inside??? Budddy's house???? Anything??? Alternator replacement is pretty straight forward. Are you sure the alternator needs replacing??? Other parts in the electrical system can fail too! Might want to check before replacing alternator in the cold... only to find same results.

I have replaced the alternator several times on my '02 V8. The first time, the only one available on a Saturday afternoon was from Autozone. It lasted a couple of months and failed on the starting line at the ECTA meet in Maxton, NC. We replaced that one laying in the dirt and using a flashlight to be able to see.

After everything is unhooked you must just 'play' with it until you get it situated just right to be able to get it past all the things that are in the way. Then it falls in your face. I've never had to unfasten anything but the alternator itself. You will need a selection of extensions, sockets, and ratchets to access all the fasteners and develop a feel for the things you can't see because they are behind something else. The ONLY saving grace is that the semi-junk item you get from autozone is a 'lifetime', pay-for-it-only-once deal since they cost more-or-less $200 or so. My last one was installed about 2009 but it failed the other day again. It's about 12 degrees out there right now so it may not get messed-with until warmer weather. Work in a apartment parking lot in cold weather is a younger man's game.

KS

On top of what Cam had to say... I would advise if bolts or nuts don't want to move,,, don't just try to twist them off. Be patient,,, and soak them for a day or 2 with PB Blaster. Then... if things don't want to move... try a little heat with a torch. Heat will expand aluminum on steel... and loosen things up. Just make sure any and all electrical wires/connections are out of the way when using heat.

Members online

No members online now.
Back