Considering A Mark VIII? (Thinking Out Loud)

7.1 is pretty quick to me coming from cars that can do 0-60 in the 9 to 10 second range. The 4v 4.6L have their own quirks just like the 2v 4.6L in the Panther can as well. Although the Mark VIII is more of special car just like the earlier Prowlers in which I've had the pleasure and privilege to drive one. To me the Mark VIII is still like a newer car in some respects. Maybe their is a fallacy in my thinking but, I see some or slight comparison to the S550 ('15-16) Mustang and the FN10-12 platform. Below is an example.

S550

FN10
onthelift2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now there's some GM thinking, let's make you take the rear of the car apart to replace a bulb.

I think guys misunderstood me you can get real front air struts not a spring conversion from autozone using a 20 or 25% coupon they send you by email once a month for 175 each and they come with the solenoid and have a life time warranty... Its probably the best buy you can get.

ricardocordoba to be honest the valve cover gaskets arent even that bad to do, Ive done them before its just really a few solenoids and brakets have to come off and you unbolt them. The hardest thing to really replace is the oil pan gasket or the drivers side exhaust manifold because you have to drop the frame for them.

I saw you were saying the Mark rear looks alot like a Mustang, I forget which year it is i think like 2000 the Super charged Cobras had an independent rear similar to ours and some of the parts interchange. Im actually trying to find the center section out of one so I can have a Trac-Loc and some better gears. Im also running 2000 Cobra rear shocks in my car right now, which are stiffer than factory and took a little of the boat out of the car. My next move will be ADCO sway bars to really make it corner...

I have had a couple myself. Everything above about covers it. Look towards Florida,SOCAL and Arizona for a nice rust free ride.
There are a couple of Facebook pages that have some nice cars come up from time to time as well. If I were to buy again I would go to FB and keep an eye out. I have seen some nice cars for well under $4k as well as built ones for a little more.
Mine has a Paxton 1500, cobra intake and 410 gears. Just starting to get a handle on the tuning, running 13.1 at 104..... on air ride suspension.

Du

My 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII has excellent suspension. I replace the entire front suspension with original new parts and also the front air struts. I also replace the brake components. Runs very well, he keeps all his power. It is more comfortable than a Camaro.
63K miles and without any accident or impact. Very clean inside and outside. Original paint. I had Corvette and BMW's before, but this car is my favorite.
Let me know if you are interested. You can see pictures on cars on sale forum.

I noticed you replaced the front end entirely even the air struts. For a couple of years I have been looking into rebuilding my 1996 mk 8 front end. I have saw kits with every part for under 200.00 . I have looked into buying moog pats . The idea came to me to buy the detroit axel parts and have them tested for rockwell hardness at my uncles machine shop. If the parts are as hard as moog I could buy the detroit axel. When you re built your front end what parts brand did you select? Did you do the front end work? Then had it aligned up? Or did you have a shop do the entire project and how much did it cost either with your labor and parts or a shops cost. One more thing how much are the air struts each? Thanks. Hope this give you a way to tell all how well and how much your car has in new steering and ride

Hello BILLBOATS, Yes I did the job, at shops are more expensive and they don't want to do the needed job.
I replace all front end suspension with a TRW brand parts.(was the original brand parts)You can find this parts at Advance Auto Parts. All parts cost me around $1000, and found the new Motorcraft air struts at the internet but they were expensive, cost me around $1400 both with tax and shipping. I try to find original parts because fit exactly and do not made any noise or vibration. Yes you have to make the alignament. I dont know how much cost the labor right now.
For brakes I use Motorcraft pads.

Hello all, I will make this short. I stumbled across this forum upon doing research. I'm just wondering if it is worth to purchase a Mark VIII? I've read mixed reviews on the car. I've thinking of using one has an every other day driver and cruiser/fun car. I see they are cheap but, cheap doesn't necessarily always mean good. I've also considered the purchase of a newer Camaro/Mustang for this reason but, in the Camaro it would be a 2013-15 with a V6 and a Mustang in the '15-'16 model year range and again V6 because I have a hard time paying over $20k (actually closer to 23k) for a V8 model plus I don't like car payments.

The Lincoln Mark VIII meets the bill in a few ways in that it has a V8, IRS, four wheel discs, and has some unique value to it. But, I'm just looking for feedback and advice on that matter. My idea would be to buy one that already has say the transmission rebuilt even it puts me in the higher mileage range. But, I'll just wait and see what people say. Thank you in advance for any helpful information or advice you can provide.
Hi, I am not a car
Hello BILLBOATS, Yes I did the job, at shops are more expensive and they don't want to do the needed job.
I replace all front end suspension with a TRW brand parts.(was the original brand parts)You can find this parts at Advance Auto Parts. All parts cost me around $1000, and found the new Motorcraft air struts at the internet but they were expensive, cost me around $1400 both with tax and shipping. I try to find original parts because fit exactly and do not made any noise or vibration. Yes you have to make the alignament. I dont know how much cost the labor right now.
For brakes I use Motorcraft pads.
Thanks for the call back. I saw a complete moog front end kit , ball arms upper, lower inner outer tie rods , lowere ball arms , costing 330.00. I am looking for a expert front end person(women o.k too) and see what they want . 300-400 woul;d be ok. I stay with as orginal as I can find and I will not change the orginal looks of my mark 1996 8. The check engine light was painted black so I never thought it would not pass Ohio e check. TYhen they failed car. Drove for 3 years , no winters, looking for some IMRCm maznifold runner controlls. They look like a choke pull off . Nothing but metal and bakelite plactic with a selinoid . Got luckey and found a pair at pull-a-part. They charged me 10.00 for 2. We removed plenium manifold and installed it. Ater 3 years car passed e-check and I got legal plates. I am fixing the throttle position sensor . You car has perfect undercarrage, I could eat off it but I like plates better

Hello all, I will make this short. I stumbled across this forum upon doing research. I'm just wondering if it is worth to purchase a Mark VIII? I've read mixed reviews on the car. I've thinking of using one has an every other day driver and cruiser/fun car. I see they are cheap but, cheap doesn't necessarily always mean good. I've also considered the purchase of a newer Camaro/Mustang for this reason but, in the Camaro it would be a 2013-15 with a V6 and a Mustang in the '15-'16 model year range and again V6 because I have a hard time paying over $20k (actually closer to 23k) for a V8 model plus I don't like car payments.

The Lincoln Mark VIII meets the bill in a few ways in that it has a V8, IRS, four wheel discs, and has some unique value to it. But, I'm just looking for feedback and advice on that matter. My idea would be to buy one that already has say the transmission rebuilt even it puts me in the higher mileage range. But, I'll just wait and see what people say. Thank you in advance for any helpful information or advice you can provide.
Hi, I am no car dealer. There is a near perfect 98 mark 8 in Pampino fla . You can see it thru car gurus.com. Click on the whole united states for the search. Its charcoal greay with off white interior and 113,000 miles. It has heated seats and sunroof. They ask 5888.00 and likely to come down after no offers. Its is the cleanest Mark 8 ,1998 I have ever seen on thwe I net. I would buy it myself if I could sell mine for 3000. Car gurus.comm mark 8, nationwide search. Its just in excellent condition and from FLA there is no rust

Hello and thank you again for the responses. On my rebuilds I try to use quality parts because one thing I've learned is that with all cars/trucks then it will cost you in the long term plus I'd rather have it right the first time. I thought about an older Riviera as well because my high school driver was an '87 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra GT International Coupe with the 3.8L V6 and digital dash. I grew up around hot rods and what is now classic cars as well. I've mainly been into Mopars of different sorts. Mopars have their quirks just as much as some of the newer cars.

Anyways, I'm still on the fence. I guess I'll see where things are at later on and make my decisions from there. It appears Ford is the worst for getting rid or NS1ing their parts from what I have read. Anyways, I guess I'll see what happens. Thank you all again.
We have a good electric car man in my home town of Akron Ohio who charges just 80.00 and hour / My door lock fell out as I bought the mark with it needing the trim panel r&r to fix. The gas door buttion and trunk lock button did not work. Unique wiring of Akron Ohio did the lock and fixed the electric for 2 hrs at 80.00+160 no tax and I was satisfied to have a experienced electric guy on board.I supplied an 0rginal mark 8 lock

Yes, nice vehicles. I actually prefer the styling on the earlier gen 1 Mark VIIIs however, my understanding is that the gen 2 is slightly revised with regards to the interior and transmission issues. If I buy one my preferences would be low mileage and stock with maintenance upkeep. As for the ABS sensors its the same with any Mark even the Mark VIIs. Parts for the air suspension are slightly cheaper than the Mark VII but, not by much. If it has springs then fine. The wheelbase is long enough to make up for ride. I like different cars because I'm different or at least IMO compared to majority of society. I've driven the newer Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. All V6 models. The Camaro has the least comfortable seats of the bunch IMO. The Challenger has the most cockpit room but, seems the slowest of the bunch even with the 8 speed automatic. Long term I don't know how any of these cars do really. I haven't seen a ton of them with as many miles as some Mark VIIIs have.

They all have their own issues and are a pain to work on like the Mark VIIIs. Want to replace the backup bulbs in the 2010-2013 Camaro? The back bumper cover has to come off. Want to replace the heater core? The front windshield needs to come out to make the job easier. Case in point even with our technology things haven't gotten easier to work on or maintenance is some respects.

As I've gotten older and daily driving older cars such as a '71 Challenger with a 383 Mopar B engine, '79 Lil Red Express, and 68 Dodge Coronet with manual drums, steering, and no AC I've come to appreciate things such as fuel injection, four wheel disc brakes, and AC, cruise. The idea behind the Mark VIII was to have a quicker, better handling car, with fuel injection, and more slightly more comfort than my '79 Cordoba. I think the Mark VIII would check those boxes but, I know some of maintenance thing is a nightmare. 4v Valve cover gaskets are a pain but, so are replacing header gaskets an older Mopar. Perhaps their is some fallacy in my judgement but, time will tell once I examine things. Thank you all once again and in advance.
I just saw a private sale mark in New Your -very sharp and shiney with michlins and replaced trany with 150,000 miles. all blac lsc 1998. Go to Car gurus.com set for mark 8 and nationwide search, you will see it. I may take a run up to see it for the 2500

Members online

Back