looking for headlights or a good refinisher

fuzzmancometh

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey all. im looking to buy new front headlight assemblies. i know theyre tough to find and also expensive, but i hate the moisture and fog in them. i would really like to find a good pro refinisher or someone that does them on the side so i dont have to fork out $500. im located in boston if anyone knows a good reputable place. thanks alot guys.

one more thing. i have a horrible clunking in the RR of the car. looked like the knuckle bushings so i replaced both knuckles... still not gone. looks like some movement in a bushing somewhere but i cant tell. anyone ever do the lower control arm bushings or have a common issue in the back half suspension??

thanks again
fuzz

Check your rear upper shock mounts. I replaced mine a couple times because of clunking.

There are really only two things that commonly makes clunking noises in the rear on these cars;

1) Broken sway bar links, which I would think you would have noticed if you had taken it all the way down to replace bushings

2) By far the most common is the shock mounts in your trunk rotting away and the frame bouncing on the shock rather than the shock actually doing anything. A guy on here makes custom shock mounts so you can use any Thunderbird rear shock because for some stupid reason Ford decided the mount should be integral to the shock. Probably had something to do with an electronic feature they dropped from production. I would suggest checking out the mounts. They're all the way in the rear of your trunk under the carpet.

About your headlights, polishing them isn't going to do much good. It's the reflective material in the housing itself that is burned up. You would need to open the assembly, clean it out, and reapply reflective tape or something of that nature. People on here have done it, there's at least one thread documenting the project.

There are really only two things that commonly makes clunking noises in the rear on these cars;

1) Broken sway bar links, which I would think you would have noticed if you had taken it all the way down to replace bushings

2) By far the most common is the shock mounts in your trunk rotting away and the frame bouncing on the shock rather than the shock actually doing anything. A guy on here makes custom shock mounts so you can use any Thunderbird rear shock because for some stupid reason Ford decided the mount should be integral to the shock. Probably had something to do with an electronic feature they dropped from production. I would suggest checking out the mounts. They're all the way in the rear of your trunk under the carpet.

About your headlights, polishing them isn't going to do much good. It's the reflective material in the housing itself that is burned up. You would need to open the assembly, clean it out, and reapply reflective tape or something of that nature. People on here have done it, there's at least one thread documenting the project.

ya ive never separated lenses before. ask me to fabricate brackets for heavy equipment im fine tho lol, maybe ill give it a shot. was just hoping that someone might have a set that theyve refurbed or even someone willing to do the work for me in the northeast. ill search the threads for some tips on how to attack it myself

thanks

These rear brackets have been known to rust. take a look just in front of the rear wheels. If you have a sunroof make sure and look. Pic from my 95 CA car, about 100K miles. Left side, gone, right side still in good condition. What year is your MK. Post some pics of the lights.

Rear Bkt.jpg

Frame brcs done.jpg

Rear Bkt Unct.jpg

It will be a week to 10 days, but I'll put up 96 LSC HID headlights, low miles and very clear, as well as Konis and shock mounts, installed but never used.

And a host of other crap too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back