Transmission service

ey Chris, the CD stated 13.9 quarts, above you say the book states 12. Wondering if there is a difference between 1st and 2nd Gen's?

there is a difference, but its not gen 1/2, its pre/post 96.
in 96, the cars got a slightly deeper (dimpled) pan to help combat starving the pump uphill or around sharp corners.
(this can be added to early cars by purchasing a 96+ pan and filter.)

the 96+ spec was revised to 12 liters (12.8 quarts) according to Ford books (i always thought 12 quarts, but this does explain why 13 always worked better).

not sure about the 13.9 spec, i have never seen that one before.

I'm also looking at the JMOD and with drilling holes - how do you keep all metal fillings out? I would think this is a re&re and done on a tool bench once out of the M8?

that is correct, you remove the valve body from the car, and disassemble it to get the seperator plate out. then you drill the plate, and reinstall everything.

Mercon V did not exist until the very late 90s. Your 1996 did not leave the factory with Mercon V. I believe Ford did not begin distributing Mercon V until '97/'98.

Thanks Soduka! My M8 is a 98. This makes sense, as I thought my manual said to us Mercon V, so at least I don't have to be concerned about adding Mercon V to MP ATF.

Hey I noticed that the manual says Ford is to us a machine and cleaning solution to pump through the transmission before installing new fluid.

Anyone think it is worth taking to Ford for the service? With tech's getting paid by job, I wonder if they would even take the time to flush it as manual states to?

Last edited:
Just because someone is paid money to do something doesn't mean they're good at it or they do it right. Look at Hillary's Campaign Staff.

Just because someone is paid money to do something doesn't mean they're good at it or they do it right. Look at Hillary's Campaign Staff.

I see what you are saying...I thought about it though and for a rad refill you flush the system so it made sense to do the same for the Transmission, wouldn't it?

there is a difference, but its not gen 1/2, its pre/post 96.
in 96, the cars got a slightly deeper (dimpled) pan to help combat starving the pump uphill or around sharp corners.
(this can be added to early cars by purchasing a 96+ pan and filter.)

the 96+ spec was revised to 12 liters (12.8 quarts) according to Ford books (i always thought 12 quarts, but this does explain why 13 always worked better).

not sure about the 13.9 spec, i have never seen that one before.

that is correct, you remove the valve body from the car, and disassemble it to get the seperator plate out. then you drill the plate, and reinstall everything.

Thanks Chris! Some great info here! You have helped me many times before, so I'm happy to do my part, even if it just helps a tiny bit!

I pulled it from the Technical Service Publications Service Manual. It is funny though. I have the version for the 97 M8's and it states to use MP ATF - see below for instruction on: Transmission Fluid and Filter

8. Note:
When filling a dry transmission and converter start with a minimum of 4.7 liters (5 quarts).

Fill transmission to proper fluid level.

l Use MERCON Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid or equivalent meeting Ford specification XT-2-QDX.

You would think they would have updated this to Mercon V.

I found the 13.9 Quarts under the section: Specifications
Refill Capacity Liters (Quarts) ³ 13.2 (13.9)

Hey they didn't mention the Mercon V so it could be a typo or maybe they mean if you rebuild it and it is bone dry.

Members online

Back