Need help with abs codes

93mark8rules

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting 4 ABS codes and I'm trying to make sense of them. The codes are 31, 32, 36, and 76. All of which point to bad Left and Right Front ABS sensors I finally brought it back to Pep Boys today to try and solve the problem. Well it turns out that both sensors test at 1.080 k ohms so they're in spec, and the wires going to the sensors from the computer have 5 volts across the pins, what can be causing my code? The part that bothers me is this only happened after Pep Boys changed my strut rod bushings.

Check for short to ground from each sensor pin to chassis ground.
36 & 76 are relative to 32 or caused by loss of signal at speed - as an effect of loss of wire continuity during driving.

Ok is it best to do that from the ABS module? I was thinking unplug it and then start checking for grounding?

Also I was looking at the Ford wiring manual and they show a grounding splice for the shields on all the ABS wires. Is it something that can be tested? It seems like its somehow wired into the ground that gets attached to the radiator support by the battery. I can put up a pic if it would help.

If you're getting that many ABS codes I would suspect a ruptured ground or something of that nature.

here's what the book says.
30771258994_9f63f9f167_h.jpg
2016-12-12 22.44.54 by Chris Bratten, on Flickr

30771260214_933d9e689f_h.jpg
2016-12-12 22.44.57 by Chris Bratten, on Flickr

Yes, The best way to check for ground is from the ABS module connector - so you will check both sensor and wiring.
First 31 & 32, then anything else like shielding.

Members online

No members online now.
Back