What did you do to your LS today?

Yeah, I would assume that the filter was in bypass by then.

I would also add that rubbing oil in fingers to confirm cleanliness is less than scientific. That extended performance oil is good, but may not have sufficient lubricity after 15K miles (determined by an actual procedure). Cleanliness also includes dirt in the micron size range (air filter to an extent), various metals, fuel, coolant, etc. Pay the $38 to have an analysis done. Going over 15K without the M1 filter rated for 15K is a fools gamble.

Thanks for the info Mikey, will look into it, sounds cool. See if I can find some YouTube vids on it. +1

Why would I assume that a filter designed for six months of service would be clogged enough to bypass before 18 months? I don't know. Just crazy or stupid I guess. (Could be both.)
To be honest, I was planning on the change after a year but health issues and the heat caused the delay. That was the first time I used the 15,000 mile oil and it was the 0w20 variant. I won't use that again. I agree, 2 years is too long.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Put on new wipers purchased from Sam's Club. $10.88 each. Boy did I really need them.

Think I found that green fluid leak from the wife's 03 LS.

This morning I shoveled the driveway and cleaned off the snow from her LS and topped up the windshield washer fluid.
The driver side sprayer nozzle wasn't spraying much if any at all compared to the other two.

Checked the Windshield washer tubing underneath the cowl and on the passenger side directly above coil #4 there is a Tee and an Elbow tubing connection.
It looked wet with washer fluid. grabbed a hold of it and while handling the rubber tube and this plastic Tee it broke apart. This is what wasn't allowing enough pressure through the lines and thus reduced the driver side spray efforts.

She had to take my 04 LSE to work as I couldn't very well let her drive on the highway getting sprayed while see fed washer fluid out of the broken tee onto the coil cover at the very back.

Ran around this morning to a couple of Auto Parts store and managed to get a few Tee's and Elbows to repair this with. 3/16" ID tubing.

Replaced it and tried it out ... works better but drivers side spray still seems somewhat weak compared to the other two nozzles.

Looking further into it, I can see the washer fluid is also leaking past the wiper arm cowl seal onto the top of the engine cover and potentially the coil covers.

I'll have to get back to it and replace those plus pull the hole sprayer tubing at each nozzle and refresh it.

The Previous windshield washer was some green stuff we had kicking around, I suspect this may have been the green coolant drops I seen in the driveway.
We've had some blue and some yellow -45C washer fluid mixed in there but I distinctively recall that green stuff I had on large bottle. We finished it since.

I've got the Tee replaced and it's spraying again but it needs to be reworked some further to get it to spray evenly from the drivers side.

When unloading the washer fluid onto the glass, it seems to somehow get on top of the engine cover at the back. The middle sprayer nozzle tubing underneath the cowl is soaked with washer fluid and it may very well be leaking down via the wiper arm cowl seal but something tells me the middle nozzle is troublesome. It's routed in between the cowl plastic and the bracket from the cross vehicle support bar.

attachment.gif

I'll have to take that apart once I have the new wiper arm cowl seals in hand and have a closer look.

Pretty sure that's what that greenish fluid I found in the snowy driveway was.
The coolant level in the Degas bottle remains the same and level as it should be.

Fun fun fun ...

Maybe the green fluid is the bug washer fluid left over from summer.

It seems that the plastic parts of the windshield washer system are a similar story to the engine cooling system parts. At this point, I have replaced most of them on my 04, and about half on my 06. Your nozzle may be clogged with tiny bits of plastic from one of the tees.

I had the passenger side partially clogged for months and then, one day, it just started working fine.

It seems that the plastic parts of the windshield washer system are a similar story to the engine cooling system parts. At this point, I have replaced most of them on my 04, and about half on my 06. Your nozzle may be clogged with tiny bits of plastic from one of the tees.

Yes indeed, I took notice of the broken off piece where the Tee broke remained inside the hose, I had removed the hose and rolled it with my fingers and it was so brittle it crumbled apart.

I immediately thought this broken off bits could get up stream inside the lines.
I definitely have to rework the entire line and replace all the other aging plastic Tee's and Elbows and clean out the rubber lines.

Pretty sure also at the cowl arm seal it was pooling up from spraying continuously and dripping down below underneath.

I have some time off soon, I'll order some parts and get it done.

Needs VCT solenoids seals also.

If anyone has part numbers for those wiper arm seals and the VCT solenoids seals, that would save me some time and I could begin to order over the phone as I head out to work for another week.

5W4Z-54021A46-A passenger wiper seal.
AFAIK, you have to buy a $250 wiper assembly to get the driver's side seal.

2W9Z-6A545-AA VCT seal

what a crock of ****.. I know I should buy it but is there a way I can use some sort of silicone or something along those lines?

thanks Joegr

I'm sure you can rig something, but the wiper seal repair kit (5W4Z-54021A46-A) is only about $5 at your dealer.

I broke my oil dipstick. The dipstick is resting in the tube with no handle attached.

I broke my oil dipstick. The dipstick is resting in the tube with no handle attached.

You can remove the tube (just one bolt), and then slide the remainder of the stick out. It is a pain getting the tube back in the hole at the bottom. Clean all the dirt off around the hole before you remove the tube.

You can remove the tube (just one bolt), and then slide the remainder of the stick out. It is a pain getting the tube back in the hole at the bottom. Clean all the dirt off around the hole before you remove the tube.

Thanks! I'll look into doing that when I get home from work... hopefully it's not raining (80% chance today).

Thanks! I'll look into doing that when I get home from work... hopefully it's not raining (80% chance today).

Try to put some tape or something over the top of the tube. It's not just about water getting in, it will be a vacuum leak and may cause some ruff running.

Try to put some tape or something over the top of the tube. It's not just about water getting in, it will be a vacuum leak and may cause some ruff running.

I've got tape over it now. Is there any chance of it slipping further down the tube?
I honestly was thinking about trying some jb weld on one end of a a pen or something and putting it to the tip of what's left in there, then trying to gently pull it up.

... Is there any chance of it slipping further down the tube?...

It might go down another inch, but it won't do any harm. I don't think there's much danger in trying to retrieve it somehow before taking the more drastic step of removing the tube. How about long needle nose pliers?

To be honest, I was planning on the change after a year but health issues and the heat caused the delay. That was the first time I used the 15,000 mile oil and it was the 0w20 variant. I won't use that again. I agree, 2 years is too long.

Finally got my oil report back. First one I did on the LS. I do them fairly regularly on my 3.5 Ecoboost Flex.
Left column is my 10K sample, right column is their 6K universal sample average. At almost double the miles of their sample averages, I still have less detectable elements. All except magnesium which I suspect is part of the additive in the Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I use 5W20 though if you live where its very cold a lot of the year, I'm sure a 0W20 is fine.
oilanalysis.png

5W4Z-54021A46-A passenger wiper seal.
AFAIK, you have to buy a $250 wiper assembly to get the driver's side seal.

2W9Z-6A545-AA VCT seal

Turns out the wiper seal is only Qty one on the underneath of the plastic window cowling.
All tubing and Elbows replaced. All sprayers equally functional now.
It's still leaking at the glass and the wiper arm. Dumping fluid onto the engine cover.
It was getting too cold and I'll have to redo it for the foam gasket at wiper arm. Cowl Re&Re ... Wait till it warms up, seat it better.

VCT solenoids seals replaced. (EATON Silicone Lubricant for O-rings works good for install of the new gasket rings.)

Degas level still same on the 03 V8. Good heat.

Members online

Back