05 Sport Fuel Pump Problems

Xzonedude

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I got this LS about 10 months ago now and about 1 month after owning it I had to replace the fuel pump. (Which I expected that I would've had to flush the fuel system anyway since it had been sitting for 10 to 18 months). However, now It seems that this new replacement fuel pump is going out, since almost every time I turn the engine over or even turn the key to "on" the fuel pump squeals/whines very loudly for a few seconds. (And that is exactly what the last pump was doing before it failed.) And from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be any problem with the fuel since I have only ever filled it with 91 and When I inspected inside the fuel tank a few days ago there wasn't any junk in the tank.

What I was wondering was if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing before and found what was causing the issue.

I got this LS about 10 months ago now and about 1 month after owning it I had to replace the fuel pump. (Which I expected that I would've had to flush the fuel system anyway since it had been sitting for 10 to 18 months). However, now It seems that this new replacement fuel pump is going out, since almost every time I turn the engine over or even turn the key to "on" the fuel pump squeals/whines very loudly for a few seconds. (And that is exactly what the last pump was doing before it failed.) And from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be any problem with the fuel since I have only ever filled it with 91 and When I inspected inside the fuel tank a few days ago there wasn't any junk in the tank.

What I was wondering was if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing before and found what was causing the issue.

Have you checked the fuel filter? (It's located behind the liner in the driver's side front wheel-well.)

KS

Yes, I replaced it at the same time I replaced the old fuel pump and again 2 or 3 weeks after. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it and replace it.

I believe that there may also be a filter in the fuel tank, at the jet pump. Did you verify that everything was okay with the jet (driver's side) fuel pump?

The fuel pump is controlled by the REM (Rear Electronics Module), so that is a possibility too. Also, you should verify the fuel pressure sensor on the rail. You can use a good OBD scan tool to get its pressure reading and then compare that to an actual pressure reading from a test gauge. (I don't know if the 05s have a fuel pressure test port or not. Some years do, and others do not.)

What brand of replacement pump did you use?

FWIW, what you describe sounds as if the pump were 'overworking' as you are first starting. Perhaps, if you start from that direction to ascertain the cause of the momentary overworking, you might get a resolution.

KS

I believe that there may also be a filter in the fuel tank, at the jet pump. Did you verify that everything was okay with the jet (driver's side) fuel pump?

The fuel pump is controlled by the REM (Rear Electronics Module), so that is a possibility too. Also, you should verify the fuel pressure sensor on the rail. You can use a good OBD scan tool to get its pressure reading and then compare that to an actual pressure reading from a test gauge. (I don't know if the 05s have a fuel pressure test port or not. Some years do, and others do not.)

What brand of replacement pump did you use?

Yeah I forgot to mention that when I replaced the fuel pump I also replaced the jet pump. And the filters on both of the old pumps were so degraded and plugged up they were almost not existent. Not only that but there was parts of each filter was sucked up into both pumps.

As for the brands of new pumps, the jet pump is Motorcraft and the actual fuel pump is an AirTex pump.

As for the test port there isn't one. To test the pressure you have to disconnect the fuel rails and use and adapter to insert between the rail and the hose from the filter .

Now that I think about it I probably should've expected that the AirTex pump was a low quality pump since it was almost $750 less then the one dircectly from Motorcraft. But at the time it was the only one I could easily find. Luckily, when this pump goes out I have a 03 parts car that i should be able to take the pump from.

As in many factory pieces, you can buy significantly enhanced function and quality for considerably less money. Check Aeromotive fuel pumps as a suggestion. The line is intended for racing and most of them will be over-capacity for your intended purpose. And they'll all require a degree of creativity to install. But you'll get superior quality for half the cost. And you might also check other brands.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back