Anybody got a current source for secondary timing chain tensioners?

rainjacks

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time no see.

I'm doing my valve cover gaskets this weekend and figured I should probably do the chain tensioners at the same time. Does anyone have a source to get the metal version of them?

thanks.

PS, I'm still daily driving my 2000 sport. It's a champ. Starting to show some age though. I'll need to do the clockspring pretty soon. But for the most part it has been solid.

Replaced:
fuel pump
alternator
battery (a few times now)
window regulators
a few coils
spark plugs
Rear bumper (thanks for rear ending me and skipping out on paying *******)
brake pads, brake pads, brake pads

Thats about it

And it is still faster than my old minivan

Too bad you are doing it this weekend. End of the month I will have the two tensionors and the two associated chains (with removable link) from christophers. I wont be using that part of the whole kit version I bought for my project (upgrading all components to the 2002 version).

But will second him as the best source.

Hopefully, Chris knows more about Jaguars than he does about Mercs. Mercury was started by Edsel Ford and there was no sort of 'merger'.

KS

Hopefully, Chris knows more about Jaguars than he does about Mercs. Mercury was started by Edsel Ford and there was no sort of 'merger'.

KS

Where does he talk about Mercury?

In the 'About Us' section of his web site.

KS

Sorry to be dense here, but I even did a text search for "mercury" or "merc" and didn't get any hits. They do talk about the Ford/Lincoln merger with Jaguar. I think that "merged" is not the exact right term, but it is close enough to what actually happened. Also, you could read it as saying that Ford merged with Lincoln, but I think he is really saying that Jaguar/Rover merged with Ford/Lincoln. Of course, at the time it was Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

... For your information the Jaguar / Rover companies merged several years ago, as did Ford / Lincoln merged many years ago. Since 1997 all 4 share the same V8 engine in many of their models. Which means, they all share the same mistake that was made when they designed the V8 engine that is shared by all of them. ...

"Many" is also certainly not the right word. "Very few" would be better.

Where does he talk about Mercury?

Either way he knows his stuff about these cars. I and my mech have talked to him a couple times. He was the one that confirmed for me it was possible to convert pre May 2001 gen1 to post May 2001 system. Of course he also said not many go through the expense. I sure get that!

Gaskets and tensioner don't look like any problem. Anyone have a video or pointers on the upper timing chain though? Trying to figure out how long I'll have to steal my kids' car while the LS is down.

Gotta say it is awesome coming back here after about 3 years only to see a bunch of the same names.

Great source

...but only if you have a V8. There's nothing for LS V6es except lower ball joint, which is same as V8. Aston Martin? Yep. LS V6? Nope Ouch.

Gaskets and tensioner don't look like any problem. Anyone have a video or pointers on the upper timing chain though? Trying to figure out how long I'll have to steal my kids' car while the LS is down.

Gotta say it is awesome coming back here after about 3 years only to see a bunch of the same names.

Well, if you are getting his kit putting the chain on is a snap with the special link. Getting it off is done with a chain breaker - at least what my mech did.

Members online

Back