Cooling system burping up antifreeze

Knowledegej

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8. I recently just changed out the radiator and swap the fan over to Electric everything went well but for the life of me I can't figure out why when I do a normal Drive and I get home let the car rest it starts burping up and freeze I have bled it many times it still does the same thing do anybody know what's going on

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Did you bleed it correctly, to the letter of the factory bleed procedure?
Have the other plastic parts (degas bottle, thermostat housing, crossover tube, ...) been replaced recently?
Are you sure that the electric fan is moving enough air?

Did you bleed it correctly, to the letter of the factory bleed procedure?
Have the other plastic parts (degas bottle, thermostat housing, crossover tube, ...) been replaced recently?
Are you sure that the electric fan is moving enough air?
The only thing I've change out is the fan and radiator. What is the Ford process to blew the system I might be doing it wrong. It don't over heat no more. It run on the middle temp line the whole time.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

It's highly buffered to prevent concerns from customers that might not understand that the engine temperature will vary some depending on conditions. You won't have the same engine temperature in the desert in summer when it is 110 out as you would when you are at 10 below in the winter. Rather than explain that, they made the gauge always read dead center if the engine was nearly warm enough or not so overheated that it was in serious danger of immediate failure. You have to be over 230 for that gauge to think about moving past the center point. That's hotter than the engine wants to be (ideally around 200), so I consider that overheating. A good indication of overheating is that the factory fan gets very loud.

It's highly buffered to prevent concerns from customers that might not understand that the engine temperature will vary some depending on conditions. You won't have the same engine temperature in the desert in summer when it is 110 out as you would when you are at 10 below in the winter. Rather than explain that, they made the gauge always read dead center if the engine was nearly warm enough or not so overheated that it was in serious danger of immediate failure. You have to be over 230 for that gauge to think about moving past the center point. That's hotter than the engine wants to be (ideally around 200), so I consider that overheating. A good indication of overheating is that the factory fan gets very loud.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. I recently replaced a busted thermostat and degraded housing and outlet, but not the rest of the plastic (03 LS 3.9), seems to work fine, coolant level and temp gauge steady, but gas mileage sucks. Could overheated cooling as result of depressurized system kill my gas mileage? Thx again

I'm going to bet marginal coils are killing your mileage (and your catalytic converters). I can assure you that you will be going back in for the outlet tube and the degas bottle at the least. If the system is not pressurizing, you need to fix that now.

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the coils and plugs about 3 yrs ago at 100K with OEM, now at 138K. Injectors perhaps? I do plan to replace the rest of the plastic given what I've read on this and other boards.

What do you consider 'sucks'? If you around 11 city, and over 20 on pure highway, ya that sucks but normal for that year and car. I actually thought about this when I decided to buy my current (second) one, for a minute though. Thankfully, I will likely only put on about 3k miles by this march's 1st anniversary so a new car which is closer to 20 and 30's still doesnt make sense.

Likely last Car I own unless I hit the lottery and dont care about money, or they finally produce hydrogen combustion cars (not fuel cell).

Members online

No members online now.
Back