Transmission service

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys I need to service my tranny. 200K and never touched it. I saw a link in here one time on detailed instructions and cant find it now.

Will someone please post it Long weekend want to try to get er done.

Jeff

yes

What do you need to do exactly? Fluid and filter?

I think I should do both never touched thus far and starting to shift funny loose between reverse and drive. Flush in fill is like 175.00 at the shop down the road. I not real sure about them, they put in a fuel pump and now car runs out of gas when the Miles to go is around 50

200k and those problems might just be time for a new transmission

Can you? The 4R70W was a very common transmission. There's one on Rockauto, with a 5% off coupon and shipping you can have it at your door for about $1200. That's nothing for a transmission.

Mine acted up when I first got the car. I did a full fluid drain myself and changed the filter, plus did a JMOD and it's perfect now and has been for 3 years. I'm going to roll over 216,000 miles this week.

To do the filter and fluid, you just have to carefully pull the pan. You could pull the outlet line on the transmission, which is pretty easy, and run the car for a minute until the stream changed from solid and it starts spitting the fluid. That'll have most of the pan empty and make it a bit cleaner for you. Then, pull pan, change filter, put pan back on. Tighten bolts carefully (torque wrench if you have one, they strip easily). To do a FULL fluid change, remove the little plastic cover at the bell housing. Put a 3/4 wrench on the front of the engine and turn it by hand until the drain plug lines up. Unbolt it and it'll drain the entire system out. Put the plug back in and then fill the whole thing up.

Throw in a tube of Shudder fix for good measures.

I would always try changing the fluid and filter first before I would think about changing the transmission.

I think I am gonna give it a Flush and see how it goes. Now the question is do it my self or shop it out.

I just do it the lazy way like jbelcourt mentioned. Unhook the feed line coming from the transmission into the radiator and stick some tubing onto it and feed it into a bucket or something. Simultaneously be dumping new fluid into the usual place and just do that until it starts coming out clean. Occasionally get into the drivers seat and shift through all the gears slowly. It will be easy to tell.

Obviously the car needs to be running while you do this.

That way you know Mercon V is being used and it is absolutely easy and essentially just the cost of the Mercon V itself.

Yeah, do it yourself man. Use Mercon V. Filter doesn't really matter, they're all the same (quality wise).

Guys I need to service my tranny. 200K and never touched it. I saw a link in here one time on detailed instructions and cant find it now.

Will someone please post it Long weekend want to try to get er done.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I'm sure you are talking 200k in miles being in Tampa. I'm close to 200k (KM) about 123k miles and was thinking of doing the same.
What is the normal schedule for this maintenance? Hearing yours go 200k miles without a service is great making me think these are strong transmissions and has me thinking I can wait till spring. No snow here in Toronto, Canada (Thankfully) but still chilly - the high here tomorrow will be 41 Fahrenheit, a tad cool to be laying on the ground.

Hey I like the idea of having the M8 run and pump the fluid out, aren't you guys concerned it would run dry in some spots or possibly overfill by adding while the pump is pushing it out? Or am I being to cautious?

Just had the idea of pump out 1 quart or litre shut it off and then add one and do this again till I seen new fluid out? Would this change the fluid in the torque converter? I thought once these were full, they stayed full with the same fluid, no?

How often do you guys change fluid & filter?

I would be concerned about running the M8 to pump out the fluid. Isn't it bad to run the transmission on low fluid?

It isn't low on fluid. You are replacing the fluid at the same rate it's coming out. You also will not be driving anywhere while this is occurring.

The Ford service manual is in my car, I have a long driveway, and it's -7 out so I don't know what is says off the top of my head but I feel like Ford's original suggestion was every 75k

Thanks Soduka, how often is best? Every 25k miles? Is that right? I just did a search on google and found this:

http://etereman.com/blog/ford-trans...-extend-the-life-of-the-4r70w-in-your-mustang

I mean hey, if you can afford/feel like paying for a couple gallons of Mercon V every 25k then go for it. I imagine with a 4R70W from a good lot and fluid changes every 25k it would probably last forever. I had one that never had a single fluid change and went to 255k before dying.

Thanks Soduka! I hear that, not liking the cold either, stay warm my friend!

I think every 25k is far too much as well. I have 123K and have owned the M8 for 3 years, not sure if a transmission service was ever done...

Hey great to hear yours has 255k wow, that is sweet to hear a performance transmission lasting so long without any service.

Hi Everyone,

Looked at the service manual and it lists Mercon Multi-purpose ATF, not Mercon V.

From what I've researched, Mercon V is a better quality fluid. Wonder why Lincoln doesn't recommend it?

Direct from service manual:

8. Note:
When filling a dry transmission and converter start with a minimum of 4.7 liters (5 quarts).

Fill transmission to proper fluid level.

l Use MERCON Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent meeting MERCON specification.

It also says you can reuse the gasket if no damage and reuse filter:

3. CAUTION:
If installing a new filter, and the seal remains in the main control bore, carefully use a small screwdriver to remove the seal. Use care not to damage the main control bore.

Note:
If transmission is being repaired for a contamination-related failure, use a new filter and seal. The filter may be reused if no excessive contamination is present.

Replace fluid filter and seal as required.

Refill Capacity Liters (Quarts) 13.2 (13.9)

Because the manual was printed before Mercon V existed.

Let me warn you about leaving the seal from the old filter in the opening. I had to re-do mine after I realized the next day I hadn't really looked into the hole to see if everything had cleared. I was lucky as I was able to re-use my fluid and that I hadn't driven the car but a couple of miles. On this car you do not need to pump the fluid out as the torque converter has a drain plug, so you drain that and remove the pan and fill to spec and you're golden. Be sure to cross torque the bolts one side to the other and not over-tighten. Be extra certain you have re-filled the torque converter by running through the gears at idle and re-checking the level. I cannot remember what my car took but 10-11 quarts is in the back of my memory. Its always better to chance that the fluid change will resolve the problem before spending replacement money. The 4R70W is a stout transmission. With Mercon V

30k mile intervals for heavy duty usage. like my 4k stall converter and heavy foot.
60k otherwise.

book specs 12 quart capacity. i usually add 13 total.

my process is usually to add 6 quarts, start the car, add 3 more, and then run it through each gear until i have added 13 quarts.

Thanks Soduka, David and Chris!

All great information!!

Mine has had a very small leak from purchase. It is from the torque converter rubber plug (to gain access to remove bolt) In the 3 years, I have topped up a total of 1/4 Mercon V. I thought Mercon V was what came from factory. I do not know if it was ever replaced, and that means it could be original ATV. What I hope is that it was changed and they didn't use a new converter bolt. CD says that a new bolt must always be used...

Hey Chris, the CD stated 13.9 quarts, above you say the book states 12. Wondering if there is a difference between 1st and 2nd Gen's?

I'm also looking at the JMOD and with drilling holes - how do you keep all metal fillings out? I would think this is a re&re and done on a tool bench once out of the M8?

Mercon V did not exist until the very late 90s. Your 1996 did not leave the factory with Mercon V. I believe Ford did not begin distributing Mercon V until '97/'98.

Members online

Back