Cold start

Actually the engine is better off at 2000 rpm then at idle when cold. Viscous oil and low rpm and associated low oil flow don't allow proper lubrication and lead to damage. Even air (oil) cooled Porsche cars have a recommendation of starting the engine and taking off immediately, using light throttle and engine speed between 2000 and 3000 rpm until the engine gets to the operating temp.

On a start, in colder weather, at least allow the idle RPMs to settle before popping it in gear!

Quote MIdsm:

"Actually the engine is better off at 2000 rpm then at idle when cold. Viscous oil and low rpm and associated low oil flow don't allow proper lubrication and lead to damage."

Really???!!! Then why aren't we still using carburetors and chokes,,, with the engine screaming at 2000 RPM until the choke kicked off??? Same difference with fuel injection while the engine is in "cold loop". Excessive gasoline going into engine... washing away the oil in the cylinders and on the rings,,, and dumping straight into the crankcase.

The only time low oil flow would lead to engine damage,,, would be if there is already excessive wear... or a faulty oil pump. Multi weight oil will flow the way it is intended/designed... unless you live in the arctic circle. Thus the reason many people in Alaska, (and northward), leave their engines running 24/7/365. At least until they hit their "summer months".

I seriously have to "beg to differ" here. My opionion only based on experience and knowledge. The MAIN benefit to computer managed fuel injection,,, was so that the engine didn't need high rpms to run properly during warm up... thus prolonging engine life. However,,, this does not mean that high rpm's on a cold engine will not cause early wear. Metal to metal wear is cause by excessive friction,,, and lubrication not matching friction... I.E. ,,, HEAT.

Try machining a piece of steel at a high material removal rate without coolant, (oil). In the right circumstances... it will cause lockup of the lathe... bluing of the material, (loss of temper)... severe scoring... or at the very least,,, dulling of the cutting tool.

Im having the same issue with my 04 v6, only on cold starts on cold mornings, ill start it up and it will stumble like it barely wants to idle, it gets worse the colder it is..... but if I restart it after a couple of seconds if kind of smooths out. I also got some carb cleaners and sprayed around the vac lines and the base of the intake where I could reach and had no change in idle. So I'm unsure if its actually a Vac leak or not. I got no CEL or anything.

Members online

No members online now.
Back