Mobile one full synthetic ???

antonio fuller

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so I switch over to full synthetic about a month ago and now I notice a little tinging in the motors quest I should have ask this question before I switch but was the switch to full good are bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobil 1 is mostly what I use as well. I use 5W-20 as Ford recommends. The higher pressures of thicker oil are not likely to be good for the gen II valve timing control system.

Unless ... Joe ... you are running an unpressurized oil sump like Captain Fn Shrimp Boat here does.

Mobil 1 is mostly what I use as well. I use 5W-20 as Ford recommends. The higher pressures of thicker oil are not likely to be good for the gen II valve timing control system.

It's put in at pep boys not sure the wight will ask about it time for a change anyway

No no referance was to the clown that went against the recommendation of the owners manual and put 5W30 in his crank instead and we don't care to hear that misguided theory again.

Not you ... and 5W20 full synthetic is what you need.

You gotta get that old conventional oil out, it will ignite out of no where, Captain Shrimp Boat explained to us.

Well, I guess that explains the waste land of burning cars on the interstate...

No no referance was to the clown that went against the recommendation of the owners manual and put 5W30 in his crank instead and we don't care to hear that misguided theory again.

Not you ... and 5W20 full synthetic is what you need.

You gotta get that old conventional oil out, it will ignite out of no where, Captain Shrimp Boat explained to us.

Lol got it that's funny [emoji23]

I have been using Mobile 1 for more than 120K miles.

KS

Between all my cars I must have over 500K miles on Mobil1 of the correct weight.

Same here on (when I had 2) both my '06's.

It's put in at pep boys not sure the wight will ask about it time for a change anyway

BE CAREFUL!!!!!! I wouldn't trust Pep Boys check to check the air in my tires! They are good for dropping off used oil.... Have you checked your oil level since they changed it? Does it look new? Smell new?

Ya, thats one where I let Lincoln do the change at 48$ bucks versus 35 to 40 elsewhere. They will do that '1000' point inspection on it as well, which while it usually makes me chuckle, sometimes just might give me a clue of an upcoming maintenance. This last month they told me next time we will need to do tranny service and radiator flush. LOL they forgot I had them do full fluids swap in March when I bought the car......

I am not going to get into the mudslinging and name calling here, but there are a couple REAL “anal retentive engineering type” issues you should consider here and those are;

1) The tendency of Mobil 1 oil TBN values fall off slightly quicker during use than some other equivalent weight premium fully synthetic motor oils. Mobil 1 5w-20 TBN values start out with values of 2.70 to 2.75, while the values for the 5w-30 weights start out at 3.00 to 3.30. For comparison Redline SN rated 5w-20 has a TBN value of 3.00

2) The valve train design of the AJ-V8 engine uses direct contact bucket followers on camshaft lobes – that type of contact is similar to an older pushrod engine with a flat tappet camshaft. SN rated oil have reduced levels of ZDDP anti friction additives compared to the oils which were the factory fills in LS engines. The 2000-2004 LS V8 engines were factory filled with SL rated oil, while the 2005-2006 LS V8 engines were filled with SM rated oil. Mobil 1 High Mileage SL rated 5w-20 and 5w-30 oil have 1000 PPM phosphorus and 1100 PPM zinc compared to the SN rated oils with 800 PPM phosphorus and 900 PPM zinc values. Simply put the SL rated oils offer greater protection against valve train wear than the SN rated oils in the AJ-V8 engine.

Because of all of this, I personally blend about equal parts of Mobil 1 High Mileage SL rated 5w-20 and 5w-30 oil (that I buy at Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for about $26) when I change the oil in my ’04 Gen II LS V8 engine. I also use the slightly longer Gen I oil filter on my Gen II engine, even with the reduced clearance to the serpentine accessory drive belt.

As always of course, YMMV. Stepping way now to put on my flame retardant fire suit.

Quote Deacon:`Because of all of this, I personally blend about equal parts of Mobil 1 High Mileage SL rated 5w-20 and 5w-30 oil (that I buy at Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for about $26)''

DeaconBlue.......you cannot do this. The PURISTS here will declare you a heretic and have your car shot! LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Well... to add to the confusion,,, I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 for almost 100k miles,,, and at 175k miles my 3.9 uses less than a half a quart between oil changes. The lighter weight oils seemed a bit too thin because I was getting a bit of engine noise in hotter summer temps. Same also after long drives in winter temps.

Quote Joegr:

"The higher pressures of thicker oil are not likely to be good for the gen II valve timing control system."

Maybe that why my LS runs like a raped ape above 2000 rpm. Just kidding. I will say on a serious note that the warm up piston slap is quieter with the 0w40. Less primary chain/tensioner noise too. Can't prove it... but I think my 04 may have suffered an odometer rollback.

Just to add my .02 cents. I have used the Ford Motorcraft 5-20 Synthetic Blend, Oil on my 02 since I got it in 04. Before that Dealer serviced only 02-04. So only Motorcraft 5-20 Synthetic Blend by the book.

219k Later no noise, no problems. In fact at Auto Zone or Advance, about less than $30 on sale with a Filter 5 gal jug plus 1 extra quart. Guy who built engines told make sure Filter has Anti drain back holes, but said cheaper filter more flow higher oil pressure, may be better at high miles. So I run mid grade Filter under $26-$27 special including Ford Motorcraft 5-20 Synthetic Blend.

7k mile Oil changes. 1/2 Quart of Trans Fluid every 3 changes with a day of driving 10-20 miles before the Oil change.

Why would anything be any better than what Lincoln says? 219k. And own a 06 with 51k. Same oil, same changes.

Ya, thats one where I let Lincoln do the change at 48$ bucks versus 35 to 40 elsewhere. They will do that '1000' point inspection on it as well, which while it usually makes me chuckle, sometimes just might give me a clue of an upcoming maintenance. This last month they told me next time we will need to do tranny service and radiator flush. LOL they forgot I had them do full fluids swap in March when I bought the car......

I went to the dealership pretty cheap the only thing I believe I ever can say was cheaper at the dealer than any other place I'm almost scared that the synthetic oil is cheap are something lol and for that 1000 point inspection bs It's just that bs lol if you get the tires rotation the service tech will have no choice but to look at you brakes lmao other than that I'm pretty sure it's just a check off on the list. Look over your car yourself they will just tell you when you need to give the a million dollars lol

Be careful with walmart stuff. I have it on good authority that the Fram filters walmart sells are made to a different spec than other Fram filters. If this is true about oil filters... it could be true about the oil they sell too. Sometimes cheapest isn't best.

Be careful with walmart stuff. I have it on good authority that the Fram filters walmart sells are made to a different spec than other Fram filters. If this is true about oil filters... it could be true about the oil they sell too. Sometimes cheapest isn't best.

First off I would not put a Fram oil filter on my x-wife's lawn mower - they don't call it the "orange wall of death" without a reason. I will only use NAPA Gold or Wix oil filters (actually the same exact filter). If you need a higher flow rating and are willing to give up a bit of filtartion, then use a K&N oil filter.

As far as Wal-Mart and Moibil 1 oil is concerned, you can wait until it goes on sale at; AutoZone, Advance Auto, OReilleys, CSK, Pep Boys, Costo, BJ's, Sam Club, etc... or you can buy it whenever it is convenient for you for the same low price every day as Wal-Mart (gee that sounds like a commercial - no, I don't work for either company). It's the exact same oil in the bottle. Don't believe me, buy two bottles one from Walmart and one from you favorite store at full price, and send off two samples to Blackstone labs and have it analyzed. And let us know what they find.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Members online

No members online now.
Back